X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Avenger
    Apprentice
    • Dec 2013

PosChengband

Is there any kind of wiki project for this variant, or a manual of some sort?

Specifically, I'd presently like to find out what each Rune does on each piece of a Runeknight's equipment. Since each Rune can be placed on multiple types of item, and often applies different properties depending on the item, and additionally since Runeknights do not regenerate mana, but are forced to farm it from specific caster NPCs, exhaustively testing each case on my own is quite the project. Further, since Runes cannot be removed once placed, it'd be nice to know whether the Rune I'd like to place is optimal for my build, rather then later on discovering a better one, and having to wait for a superior piece of equipment for that slot to apply it(this also means I need to acquire at least one item per equipment slot per Rune, further complicating an individual test).

In general, with so much unique content, a knowledge base or manual of sorts collecting detailed information on that content would be not only helpful but quite interesting.
    C(6.3) C Erirbag [Half-Ogre Cultist] L:39 DL:Collector's Cave 2 A+ R+ Sp w:The Long Sword of Karakal (2d5) (+9, +12) (+2)
    C(TN/Do) W H- D-- c-- f PV s- d+ P++ M?
    C S++ I+ So B- ac- GHB- SQ RQ V+ F:TomeNET Game Progression
  • Arjen
    Adept
    • Dec 2010

Chris has chosen to give away as less information about stuff as possible. This way we, mortal players, need to figure stuff out by ourselfs.

Comment

• debo
      Veteran
      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Arjen
      Chris has chosen to give away as less information about stuff as possible. This way we, mortal players, need to figure stuff out by ourselfs.
      Or we just read rune_knight.c
      Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• Avenger
        Apprentice
        • Dec 2013

That would be brilliant, if I could find the source. It doesn't appear to be available on his website.

@Arjen That's certainly one way of looking at it, and I respect the opinions of those who treat information they didn't learn themselves as spoilers, but I am not one of those people. I treat that information as I would a game manual =P

Additionally, I have nowhere near the skill at these games others do - I consider myself very lucky to see CL25, and CL30 is such a rarity that I haven't even reached it yet this version =P

I suppose if I do survive long enough, I will try to make an extensive test, but odds are strongly against it =P
        C(6.3) C Erirbag [Half-Ogre Cultist] L:39 DL:Collector's Cave 2 A+ R+ Sp w:The Long Sword of Karakal (2d5) (+9, +12) (+2)

Comment

• Regalia
          Apprentice
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Avenger
          That would be brilliant, if I could find the source. It doesn't appear to be available on his website.
          There's a link to a github repository there (https://github.com/poschengband).

Very tidy, very searchable. You can also download a source release.

Comment

• Avenger
            Apprentice
            • Dec 2013

That was most informative, Regalia.

Thanks.

Edit: I was hoping to see some mention of Rune Swords - I have yet to find a use for them, and had hoped they had some special application to Rune Knights. Perhaps I overlooked something, or perhaps I'm simply making an association that doesn't exist.

Comment

• Thraalbee
              Knight
              • Sep 2010

Rune swords are usable by any class but hardly desirable unless you're really good at melee. They start at 0d0 -50,-50 and can only improve by killing foes. So if you have +51 damage through ring of damage etc you can wield one and then you must kill thousands of foes with the Blade. It will grow in dice, boni and even get Slays etc. It takes patience but eventually get very very good. Unwield only by blasting (totally ruining it) with ?Mundanity. Search the ladder for wins with rune Sword to see examples

Comment

• Avenger
                Apprentice
                • Dec 2013

Ah, so it has nothing to do with Rune Knights at all, but is simply a special weapon type.

Good to know, thank you.

Comment

• Avenger
                  Apprentice
                  • Dec 2013

More questions.

I have now been wandering back and forth between Morivant and Outpost for several days and nights, hoping one of the temples will spawn a Remove Curse scroll.

Yet the inventories of both shops appear completely unchanged. What, then, causes them to refresh their inventory?

Is it as simple as a trip to a dungeon and back? A much longer period of time(though I know I've seen refreshes more frequent then several days)? A combination of a dungeon trip and time?

Comment

• wobbly
                    Prophet
                    • May 2012

More questions.

I have now been wandering back and forth between Morivant and Outpost for several days and nights, hoping one of the temples will spawn a Remove Curse scroll.

Yet the inventories of both shops appear completely unchanged. What, then, causes them to refresh their inventory?

Is it as simple as a trip to a dungeon and back? A much longer period of time(though I know I've seen refreshes more frequent then several days)? A combination of a dungeon trip and time?
                    While I'm not exactly sure of the answer try leveling up or completing a quest. These tend to work for me. Depending on what's cursed you could also try enchanting it at the fighter's guild.

It won't do you much good this time but for future reference remove curse seems rarer in 4.0. I grab a stack as soon as I see them & stash them in the home.

Comment

• Avenger
                      Apprentice
                      • Dec 2013

Yeah, I generally buy a stack at the first opportunity. This character's already dead, though.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

• Avenger
                        Apprentice
                        • Dec 2013

Since the spirit of this thread is more publicly available knowledge about PosChengband, I'll continue posting my questions here. Next up: Reforging.

I've been seeing lots of mentions of it while looking through PosCheng mortems. What is it, what does it do, why is it valuable, are there any risks involved, and how do I do it?

Comment

• Regalia
                          Apprentice
                          • Dec 2008

Since the spirit of this thread is more publicly available knowledge about PosChengband, I'll continue posting my questions here. Next up: Reforging.

I've been seeing lots of mentions of it while looking through PosCheng mortems. What is it, what does it do, why is it valuable, are there any risks involved, and how do I do it?
                          According to my old (pcb35) experiences: go to Morivant and check one of the buildings for a reforge service.

Then you take a base plain item (no egos) and an artifact (randart's work too). Then you reforge the artifact onto the item (can be completely different types) to obtain a new artifact with the "power" similar to that of the original artifact. You seem to keep all the properties of the base item and get new properties on top of that.

Power ~ price and can be measured by dropping your item in home (*ID*ing seems to change the price in pcb4, not sure what's the interaction with reforging here). Reforging cost scales with price of the artifact at least. Also the stronger the base item, the more expensive artifact required.

It might be all inaccurate in pcb4 .

Whistles cannot be reforged onto .

Edit: To expand a bit.
                          Risks are that you might get a bad result.
                          Benefits are that you might get a great artifact. Especially if a particular type of items does not have many good fixedarts. Cloaks (dragon wings) and lights are a good pick most of the time; apparently lights halve the power of the resulting artifact but are still better than most fixedart lights.
                          Finally, to try your first reforge, get a plain ring and whatever cheap artifact you can find. Not too cheap though I think it needs to be 10 * power (~price) of the ring for it to work.

Oh. and the most important thing, you need fame. More fame the stronger the artifact you want to reforge.
                          Last edited by Regalia; December 20, 2015, 09:33.

Comment

• Avenger
                            Apprentice
                            • Dec 2013

Thanks for the explanation - few more questions:

Does the base item factor into the reforge? Say I reforge an artifact I'm not using onto my =ofSpeed, will I keep the speed boost? Will it be wiped out? Is there a chance either way, and if so, which outcome does it favor?

What is fame? Is it based on XP, Uniques killed, Artifacts found, Quests completed, Dungeons completed? Some combination?

Comment

• wobbly
                              Prophet
                              • May 2012

Yes it keeps the base powers. You can't reforge to an ego: ring of speed, cloak of stealth etc. You can reforge to a non-ego with powers: elven cloak, dragon scale mail etc. Pretty sure the base counts to total powers, so a powerful base gains less extras.

For examples look in screenshots, the other mitze posted a few recently.

Off the top of my head for fame: quests, uniques, dungeon bosses, the arena but I've never actually seen a list.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎