X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris
    PosChengband Maintainer
    • Jan 2008

[Announce] PosChengband 4.0.0 Released

Files are in the usual place. There is also a patched 3.5.1 version that just fixes the Draconian Polymorph bug (sorry about that).

4.0.0 should be considered beta, as any X.0.0 release. It also breaks savefiles, so you'll need to finish up your current characters on 3.5.0 or 3.5.1. before upgrading.

There have been many, many changes for this release, almost 400 commits in fact. But most changes have focused on the Help files and various UI improvements (For example, there are window options for the Monster and Object Lists).

I apologize in advance for any bugs ... I changed a lot of code for this release. I'll try to do better at keeping up with bug reports, but without internet access, this is difficult.

Enjoy!
  • debo
    Veteran
    • Oct 2011

!!! So excited !!!
    Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• krazyhades
      Swordsman
      • Jun 2013

Whoo! Splat life here I come!

Comment

• nikheizen
        Adept
        • Jul 2015

Is there an option for "legacy" sidebar settings?
        Also note that this was your 666th post. Ominous.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
          Veteran
          • Jan 2012

The new 4.0.0 release looks cool, especially the revamped documentation. I have to say, the right-sided stats was a genius move. With the gameplay field more in the left sided part of the screen, we're using more of our right-brains to see the vivid battle imagery taking place. Furthermore, this is in fact the first variant in the history Angband that has the stats on the right side of the screen! A genius move on chris's part, no question!!

I found quite a few major screenshot bugs as follows. And I'm wondering if anyone had encountered some of these bugs as follows:

As of 4.0.0, Options menu > HTML Dump no longer saves screenshots!

Workaround: Apparently, the '|' and ')' commands are used for making screenshots (but in different ways) in PosChengband 4.0.0. I don't know if these were the case before in the pre-4.0.0 days.

The '|' command has some limitations. I can use it to make screenshots of some things, but not others. e.g., I can use it to make screenshots of Wanted Monsters and the Character Sheet of a Possessor character. But, I can't use the '|' command to make screenshots of my current inventory ('i') or equipment ('e'). The '|' command is broken too because I can't use it to make screenshots of the actual gameplay (a very important function of the '|' command!!!!)... and when I use it to make a screenshot of a Wanted Monster list (i.e., ~w), the output file (i.e., HTML screenshot) is not properly formatted and therefore, cannot upload it to our angband.oook.cz Screenshots gallery!! This issue occurs with ~q and maybe with other parts of the "Display current knowledge" command ('~') as well as other in-game parts.

Well, the ')' command can be used for gameplay screenshots, but it won't always capture gameplay messages at the top of the screen (which the ')' command should be able to capture and screenshots would normally be captured with Options menu > HTML Dump [if this was working in 4.0.0!!!]). It captures only part of the messages of interactions between monsters and players/monsters.

I'm wondering if the disabling of the Options menu > HTML Dump or disallowing of the '|' command in some areas was intentional or not? :/

I think I might have to stick with 3.5.1 until these big screenshot bugs are fixed...Alternatively, I'll be using Microsoft Paint to track certain events as needed (i.e., where i normally used Options menu > HTML Dump in the pre-4.0.0 days)

And there, here's another potential issue:
          The 'every five levels' stat gain choices prompt now block out the current stats as you make the choice...makes it a bit more difficult to track what was the exact stat for bookkeeping purposes. If this is to be fixed in the future, keep the stats on the right side as is.

[Sorry for the long message. I'm editing this message as I test out 4.0.0 more]

Nonetheless, thanks for the big update!
          Last edited by HugoVirtuoso; December 1, 2015, 03:27.
          My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• getter77
            Adept
            • Dec 2009

Always good to see that forward progress!

Comment

• poschengbandplayer
              Apprentice
              • Apr 2014

THANK YOU : D I really appreciate this new release,it looks shiny : D

Comment

• Bacon
                Rookie
                • Dec 2015

Great release as usual!
                Here's some minor nitpicks

Both in the monster select menu and regular race select menu there's a category for Orc/Troll/Giant even though there's no Orc or Half-Orc available. Maybe I'm the only one bothered by this to be honest.

Also, some skills like Samurai's Concentration and Blue Mage's Learning lacking a description feels really weird in my opinion.

Comment

• pav
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2007

For the next dot-release, regarding the HTML Chardumps. If you could steal the header and metatags from NPP 8.0 HTML Chardumps, that would allow Oook to accept them.
                  See the elves and everything! http://angband.oook.cz

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                    Veteran
                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by pav
                    For the next dot-release, regarding the HTML Chardumps. If you could steal the header and metatags from NPP 8.0 HTML Chardumps, that would allow Oook to accept them.
                    Tell that to chris in PM
                    My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• clouded
                      Swordsman
                      • Jun 2012

Thanks for the release chris, there's lots of cool stuff here.

Have to complain a little though. The combination of egos needing *ID* for you to know anything about them, stores no longer buying things for full price unless they are *ID*'d and store services being based on charisma really slows down the early game. I like the change to jewellery a lot, so why has it gone backwards for egos? I don't really agree with the concept of *ID* but I'd accept it if it only applied to artefacts and special items (like dragon equipment).

Similarly, there's also a step back in quality-of-life that all wands are unknown even if you've found them before (like jewellery).

I'm expecting that the device changes will have a big impact on the endgame, but I'll comment when I get there.
                      Last edited by clouded; December 3, 2015, 22:29.

Comment

• wobbly
                        Prophet
                        • May 2012

Thanks Chris, I'm enjoying the new release.

The help file says that blue mages suffer glove penalties. I'm wearing average gloves & see no change in SPs or fail rates.

Edit: Take a look at warlock if you haven't already. There's some new ones.
                        Last edited by wobbly; December 4, 2015, 03:47.

Comment

• Raccoon
                          Scout
                          • Oct 2015

Noobish question but can somebody tell me what file I edit to unlock full monster memory, please? I don't find it fun to die because I didn't know what my enemies could even do.

Comment

• caruso
                            Adept
                            • May 2011

Hi Chris! Just wanted to say thank you very much for your ongoing efforts

edit: @all I missed one or two releases, so do I see this correctly that rogues can't learn spells any more because of a bug? /edit

edit2: Never mind, now I see that you can learn spells only after you reach CL 5. /edit2
                            Last edited by caruso; December 4, 2015, 15:30.

Comment

• MarvinPA
                              Scout
                              • Jul 2013

I ran into a bug just now on completing the Logrus master quest: "Software Bug: Chaos Bolt is not a valid effect for this device. Generating a random device instead." Looked into it briefly but I couldn't track down how rod types work. Thanks for the release, looks like a lot of neat stuff!

Originally posted by Raccoon
                              Noobish question but can somebody tell me what file I edit to unlock full monster memory, please? I don't find it fun to die because I didn't know what my enemies could even do.
                              I just do:
                              Code:
                              diff --git a/src/birth.c b/src/birth.c
                              index 0990f5f..d5afc8e 100644
                              --- a/src/birth.c
                              +++ b/src/birth.c
                              @@ -2187,7 +2187,7 @@ static void player_wipe(void)
                                   cheat_hear = FALSE;
                                   cheat_room = FALSE;
                                   cheat_xtra = FALSE;
                              -    cheat_know = FALSE;
                              +    cheat_know = TRUE;
                                   cheat_live = FALSE;
                                   cheat_save = FALSE;

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰