Announce: DaJAngband v1.0.90 (pre 1.1.0)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • will_asher
    DaJAngband Maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Announce: DaJAngband v1.0.90 (pre 1.1.0)

I am not finished the the changes I'm in the process of, but it could be a good while before I get finished with them because I have a lot less free computer time than I used to. So I wanted to go ahead and release this work-in-progress release:

DaJAngband website: http://www.geocities.com/will_asher/...ngbandmain.htm
    Download here: (EDIT: updated the download link for 1.0.91)

(thanks pav for hosting the files on oook)
    This zip file includes both the source code and the windows executable which use the same lib directory. If there is a problem with packaging it this way, let me know. Otherwise I'll do it this way 'cause it's more convienent for me.

From the DaJAngbandreadme.txt file:
    DaJAngband version 1.0.90
    .txt file changes:
    class & races have been almost completely redone, weapons have been partially redone. Weapon weight is now a large factor of cost. (A long dagger (same as main gauche in V) costs more than a short sword because it is much easier to get more attacks with it). Also, a lot of weapons now have a description line.
    added suggested artifacts like The Axe of Gimli and the Dagger of Westeresse of Merry. (Axe of Gimli is just 'Lotharang' renamed and tweaked). There might be a little messiness with the artifacts because of redoing the weapons without doing much with artifacts.txt to make them match, but I'll do that before the next release.

code changes:
    There is now 4 spell realms, added Nature and Chance realms. Chance realm has a lot of spells that might have a bad effect instead of the intended effect or sometimes a better-than-intended effect, but it's always more than 50% chance of a good effect (and higher clvl increases chances of good effect).
    added: a monster attack type, a few monster attack effects, a few timed effects, slime and silver poison effects, a few monster range weapons including breathe fear. (poltergeists now throw stuff at you like they should).
    probing now has a 1/3 chance to give you knowledge of monster spells (it never does in V).
    weapons and armor with a total tohit/dam/ac bonus of less than 3 will pseudo as average (and be automaticaly identified like other average things). This change is mainly because of a couple weapons that have an innate to-hit bonus.
    ..other minor tweaks

some more specific notes:
    there are a couple new monsters that have melee effects that are helpful instead of harmful (all helpful monsters either appear only when summoned by the appropriate spell or are extremely rare, some also have an experience penalty if you kill them). (this is planned for 1.1.0, but not implemented yet)
    much less monsters are considered evil, for example: kobolds are not evil, mindless undead monsters are not evil (just being controlled by evil), not all thieves are evil, etc.
    Silver & Slime: some monsters can slime you, and a few can give you silver poison. At very low levels, these things do nothing, at higher levels of slime or silver poison they can have pretty serious effects, and if they get very high they will kill you (25 points of silver poison or 50 points of slime). Slime has effects which are more physical, and silver poison has effects that are more mental. currently slime blobs have slime and acid attacks, later, I will probably remove the acid attack now that I've added sliming. At the moment, not many monsters have silver poison, but I'll add more later. (Silver poison is based on something in a novel I wrote where there is the Silver land where the grepse are, beings who remove a person's identity until they care about nothing and are interested in nothing but the moment's entertainment. The vyrms and wemu vyrm are from this place, and I will add the grepse for 1.1.0). Cure wounds potions have no effect on them. The two most common things to fight these effects are the elven weybread (which will be made rarer because of this), and the potion of purity. The mushroom of cure serious wounds also has a small anti-silver and slime effect.
    The Nature and Necromancy spell realms are largely borrowed from OAngband, but IMPORTANT: most of the borrowed spells don't have the exact same effect as they do in OAngband. check spell descriptions in the spellbook in game or in spell.txt. For one thing, there is no "sphere" effect like Oangband has. (necromancy realm is not implemented yet, but planned for 1.1.0).

Purpose of DaJAngband:
    To add flavor and character to vanilla Angband. This is done mostly through redoing the monster list and adding a few new classes and races. Other changes are mainly to complement the changes in the monster list. Also implements my idea that permanent see invisible should be much rarer and that less monsters should be invisible. (notably the qulythulgs and the imp-related minor demons are no longer invisible.) See the DaJAngband Readme.txt for more detailed lists of changes from vanilla.

random nasty monster of mention: the shadow minion: they are mindless and invisible (and permanent see invisible is not as common in DaJAngband). They come in groups, drain experience, and breathe darkness. native to dL46.
    Last edited by will_asher; April 29, 2008, 19:13.
    Will_Asher
    aka LibraryAdventurer

My old variant DaJAngband:
    http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)
  • Malak Darkhunter
    Knight
    • May 2007

I like the direction your taking things will, I'll give your variant a try.

Comment

• ekolis
      Knight
      • Apr 2007

Found a bug - you can buy things that cost more money than you have (leaving you with negative gold) if they are stacked in a store and the charges on the items do not divide evenly. Not sure if this applies to V or any other variants...

Potion of Pepsi, heh :P
      You read the scroll labeled NOBIMUS UPSCOTI...
      You are surrounded by a stasis field!
      The tengu tries to teleport, but fails!

Comment

• roustk
        Adept
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by ekolis
        Found a bug - you can buy things that cost more money than you have (leaving you with negative gold) if they are stacked in a store and the charges on the items do not divide evenly. Not sure if this applies to V or any other variants...
        Known bug in V. I believe that it has been fixed in the nightlies, but probably not in 3.0.9b.

Kevin

Comment

• will_asher
          DaJAngband Maintainer
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by roustk
          Known bug in V. I believe that it has been fixed in the nightlies, but probably not in 3.0.9b.
          yeah, I really don't think it's worth fixing really. It just spends a little more gold than you have. It's like the shopkeeper gives you the normal price and says "hey this staff has more charges so it's worth a little more but I'll let you owe me for this one."

EDIT: Limited time only!: now you can find the hatchet of Melkor while the spear is mysteriously temporarily missing! Look now! it won't be long before this bug is fixed and you don't often get a chance to find a rarily like the hatchet of Melkor!
          (this and similar artifact bugs will be fixed before the next release)
          Last edited by will_asher; April 13, 2008, 01:15.
          Will_Asher
          aka LibraryAdventurer

http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
            Knight
            • May 2007

Just curious Will, but when I downloaded the game It didn't play, so is this just the source, or is the windows version in there with it. What do I need to do play the game? Didn't quite understand all the files in the directory. I'm taking it as this isn't the usual windows binary.

Comment

• will_asher
              DaJAngband Maintainer
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Malak Darkhunter
              Just curious Will, but when I downloaded the game It didn't play, so is this just the source, or is the windows version in there with it. What do I need to do play the game? Didn't quite understand all the files in the directory. I'm taking it as this isn't the usual windows binary.
              The zip file includes the source in addition to the normal windows binary. I don't know why it didn't work. What happened when you tried to play it? Did you forget to unzip the zip file? (In Windows, you can go into a zip file as if it's any other directory, but I don't think the game will work while it's still inside the zip file.)
              Will_Asher
              aka LibraryAdventurer

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
                Knight
                • May 2007

Ok tried it again, and it worked fine after I clicked on the icon, no worries? I can take a look at your variant. I don't know why it didn't work last time, I didn't do anything different this time, just redownloaded.

Comment

• will_asher
                  DaJAngband Maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

Update version 1.0.91 released. This is mainly to fix a couple embarassing bugs. The artifact list now matches the changes in the weapons (no more hatchet of Melkor). Also the class/race restrictions now match the changes in classes.

Download link:

two other little new things:
                  rare potion of auto-brail - let's you be able to read scrolls and cast spells while blind for a certain amount of time.
                  One monster, the hungry ghost, now has an attack that actually makes you hungry instead of just eating the food you're carrying, although it still has another attack which eats food also.

There is a novelty race and class called the umber hulk way at the bottom of the list (If you be the umber hulk race then you must choose the hulk class). It confuses monsters whenever it hits and it has a constant 0% fail on digging (even with bare hands, though it stops working if you lose too much strength). I added it just for kicks.

@Malak sorry to have you download it yet again..

PS the hungry ghost is not a replacement of the green glutton ghost, the hungry ghost is a bit deeper and (obviously) nastier.
                  Last edited by will_asher; April 15, 2008, 04:52.
                  Will_Asher
                  aka LibraryAdventurer

Comment

• will_asher
                    DaJAngband Maintainer
                    • Apr 2007

Releasing DaJAngband v1.0.92

bugfixes from v1.0.91:
                    Wizard lock mage spell works correctly now. New timed effects which may not have worked before now work.

new stuff since v1.0.91:
                    Call help nature spell now implemented**.
                    Alchemy spell realm added with archer and alchemist classes***.
                    going up or down stairs only takes 1/10 of a turn. (kindof an experiment.)
                    ..and a few monster tweaks, typo fixes, and little stuff like that.

Download link:

DaJAngband website:
                    Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Savefiles will be broken, so finish your current game (if anyone's actually playing) before updating.

** I took the idea for the 'call help' spell from OAngband, but I never actually used this spell in OAngband or checked the code to see how it worked, so it probably won't work the same way as the O 'call help' spell. In DaJAngband, the call help spell calls a special monster (which never appears unless summoned by the spell) which has a melee effect which is helpful instead of harmful. The summoned monster doesn't attack other monsters (that would be way beyond my coding ability), but the black magic realm (which will be added next) has a similar spell. I plan to have the monsters summoned by that have a breath weapon which hurts other monsters but not you ..or maybe just hurts you a lot less than it hurts other monsters.

*** The Alchemist class: The alchemist is more familiar with the elements of acid and poison because of dealing with chemicals and potions. Their first spell is stinking cloud which tends to make the first couple dungeon levels a bit easier, but they only get two attack spells (stinking cloud and acid arrow) before dungeon spellbooks and they are pretty bad fighters. (acid arrow is only slightly tougher than magic missile, and not nearly as mana effeciant). Eventually they will learn how to acid coat their ammo and poison brand their weapon. (acid coating is not as strong as acid brand- it has x2 instead of x3).
                    In the Core of Alchemy dungeon spellbook, there is the recipe for the Elixer of Life. Made perfectly, it is even more powerful than a potion of life, but you have a very small chance of making it perfectly and can have a veriety of inbetween effects, which are mostly (but not all) good but rarely come close to perfection.
                    *** The Archer class: Gets extra shots with bows like rangers do in V (DJA rangers don't get extra shots BTW). Is about as good or slightly worse at magic as the V rogue. Their enchant weapon spells are limited to enchanting only bows or arrows, but they will eventually learn to not only acid coat their arrows, but also apply poison brand or elemental brand to their ammo.
                    The thief will be the other main class to use the alchemy magic realm, but he isn't implemented yet. But that's why there's a thieves' edition of the Quick Getaways book in the alchemy realm.

new nasty monster: the silverworm. They come in pairs, and breathe confusion earlier than any other confusion-breather, and they infect you with silver poison. They will probably be edited and made a little less nasty in the future, but beware of them in this version.
                    Last edited by will_asher; April 29, 2008, 19:11.
                    Will_Asher
                    aka LibraryAdventurer

Comment

• takkaria
                      Veteran
                      • Apr 2007

I intend to have a good play of DaJAngband sometime fairly soon, since I'm sure there are ideas worth stealing from it, and I'm interested in your monster list rework.

BTW, might I suggest you sign up for a Google Groups account and post an announcement to r.g.r.a too? You may get more players that way.
                      takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• will_asher
                        DaJAngband Maintainer
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by takkaria
                        I intend to have a good play of DaJAngband sometime fairly soon, since I'm sure there are ideas worth stealing from it, and I'm interested in your monster list rework.
                        cool

Originally posted by takkaria
                        BTW, might I suggest you sign up for a Google Groups account and post an announcement to r.g.r.a too? You may get more players that way.
                        I was planning to, but I was thinking I might wait until v1.1.0 is ready, but maybe I'll go ahead and do it.
                        Will_Asher
                        aka LibraryAdventurer

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎