X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris
    PosChengband Maintainer
    • Jan 2008

[Announce] Poschengband 3.4.0 Released

I've begun to burn out a bit on the edit file stuff, so here is 3.4.0. What's changed?

* I've begun adding new wilderness encounters and incorporated a couple new ones generously contributed by Nivim. I've added copious (for me) documentation to the top of v_info.txt, and this should serve as the goto place to look for how to do stuff. I have quite a few more encounter ideas that are commented out and many of the new ones I added could use improvement. Feel free to offer changes and new encounters if you are feeling creative!

* Possessors have been rebalanced a bit. A few body types are more flavorful (e.g. archer forms get extra shots; mage forms get extra mana, faster mana regen and the eat magic power; sorcerer forms get the huge sorcerer mana boost with concomitant extreme encumbrance penalties).

* Monster AI has been tweaked. All unique monsters now employ variable AI strategies. Also, anti-summoning corridors are less effective.

As usual, source and a full diff are available, though github declines to actually diff v_info.txt, which is where the bulk of this release's changes occurred.
  • HugoVirtuoso
    Veteran
    • Jan 2012

Game on! Time for me to get my Hugo-Possesor-mojo up again!
    My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• getter77
      Adept
      • Dec 2009

Great to see things picking up with some momentum on this fine project again!

Comment

• Raajaton
        Swordsman
        • May 2012

Thanks Chris! I was actually just thinking that I wanted to start giving Possessor's a try. Now I'll try it in the new version!

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
          Veteran
          • Jan 2012

Possessors are still *A LOT* of fun, even with the recent melee nerfs.
          My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• Tilurian
            Rookie
            • Nov 2014

How do I get a rune sword up and running?

On another thread chris wrote:

"You cannot enchant the rune sword with magics. Instead, it occassionally grows more powerful when you kill stuff with it. But you need to overcome the -50 damage before equipping it or it won't do any damage at all, leaving you with no melee attacks."

But if I can't enchant it, how do I overcome the initial -50 damage that will allow me to kill things?

Comment

• Arjen
              Adept
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Tilurian
              How do I get a rune sword up and running?

On another thread chris wrote:

"You cannot enchant the rune sword with magics. Instead, it occassionally grows more powerful when you kill stuff with it. But you need to overcome the -50 damage before equipping it or it won't do any damage at all, leaving you with no melee attacks."

But if I can't enchant it, how do I overcome the initial -50 damage that will allow me to kill things?
              You need to add damage by having a high STR and/or equipment (=oDam, gloves of Slaying, ...) Don't equip a Runesword before you have an additional +50 damage.

Comment

• Tilurian
                Rookie
                • Nov 2014

If a berserker is wielding a rune sword and a monster puts a nasty curse on this rune sword, does this mean that there is nothing the berserker can do to remove this additional curse?

Comment

• Arjen
                  Adept
                  • Dec 2010

If a berserker is wielding a rune sword and a monster puts a nasty curse on this rune sword, does this mean that there is nothing the berserker can do to remove this additional curse?
                  No class can remove a curse from a rune sword, so be prepared to get aggr at least. But I actually had a winner berserker with a rune sword.

*edit*
                  ofcourse you can remove it with a char who can read, you have scrolls of Mudanity. So yeah, only a berserker is unable to unequip it.

Comment

• Tilurian
                    Rookie
                    • Nov 2014

Thanks for answering my questions

Are empty bottles useful or are they just junk?

Comment

• chris
                      PosChengband Maintainer
                      • Jan 2008

Are empty bottles useful or are they just junk?
                      Junk. I think selling empty bottles impacts the Nature virtue, but honestly, I don't get the reference.

Comment

• debo
                        Veteran
                        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by chris
                        Junk. I think selling empty bottles impacts the Nature virtue, but honestly, I don't get the reference.
                        You're reusing!!! Even better than recycling, but slightly worse than reducing.
                        Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• chris
                          PosChengband Maintainer
                          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by debo
                          You're reusing!!! Even better than recycling, but slightly worse than reducing.
                          Hah! But then every time you quaff a six pack of healing potions, discarding the empties of course, your Nature virtue should go down, right?

Comment

• Arjen
                            Adept
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by chris
                            Hah! But then every time you quaff a six pack of healing potions, discarding the empties of course, your Nature virtue should go down, right?
                            Downing a sixpack of !oHealing is bad, soo... Yes! It better to rest a bit to regain some health instead of grabbing some miracle drinks who magically heals you. Can't be good for you on the long run.

Comment

• debo
                              Veteran
                              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Arjen
                              Downing a sixpack of !oHealing is bad, soo... Yes! It better to rest a bit to regain some health instead of grabbing some miracle drinks who magically heals you. Can't be good for you on the long run.
                              Also, just imagine how good it is for the soil when that healthy substance passes through you...
                              Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎