Any variant out there with powerful necromancy?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amnekian
    Apprentice
    • May 2013

Any variant out there with powerful necromancy?

Any suggestion?
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Oangband and FAangband have a necromancer class, and Sangband has necromancy skills.
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
      Veteran
      • Jan 2012

PosChengband has a Necromancer class too.
      My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• PowerWyrm
        Prophet
        • Apr 2008

PWMAngband has powerful necromancers. Cold-based magic, undead minions, death spells, melee buffs/debuffs... even the ability to overcome death at high level!
        PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• AnonymousHero
          Veteran
          • Jun 2007

D2?

(*ducks*)

Comment

• Estie
            Veteran
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by AnonymousHero
            D2?

(*ducks*)
            This. They realized that the resource is clicks/time and thus due to stupid minion ai the minions need to be "imba" to compare to a player-controlled toon with abilities/spells in power. Few other games did.

Typically, the summons end up being squishy because them taking the damage for the toon is "easy", resulting in a gimped class/mechanics that takes twice the time to complete the game compared to a basic class.

Tome 2 summoning of summoners I enjoyed. Tome 4 summoners (both living and undead) is a boring nightmare.

To answer the op question to some extent: tome2 symbiosis results in powerfull summons, if thats what youre looking for, even though the undead ones arent optimal. If not...define "necromancy".

Comment

• Therem Harth
              Knight
              • Jan 2008

Let's see, aside from the Symbiant-with-a-rotting-Q route, ToME 2 has
              - Summoners (summon shades of the monsters they've killed)
              - Possessors (possess the bodies of dead monsters)
              - Monks can learn Possessor skills too
              - There are also more traditional "dark and foul" Necromancers, plus Mages and Sorcerers can learn Necromancy

T2 is pretty amazing that way, the character generation menu is basically a smorgasboard of Mary Sues.

Edit: hey this reminds me, I haven't played T2 in a while... Darn.

Edit 2: Also, Mindcrafters can learn Necromancy for some reason. And of course you can worship Melkor, and get stuff like cursing monsters on every hit, and making corpses explode... This is more boring than it sounds though.
              Last edited by Therem Harth; September 30, 2014, 02:04.

Comment

• NotMorgoth
                Adept
                • Feb 2008

Not an Angband variant as such, but Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup has powerful necromancy spells.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎