X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HallucinationMushroom
    Knight
    • Apr 2007

Steamband question

If I gain a lot of levels at once, I actually hurt my character's progression based on how Steamband 'unlocks' abilities. Is there a way around this that I'm missing?

Specifically, I'm playing in Wonderland mode and often go from level 1 to level 16, which sounds great... but I'm level 16 with a trailblazer score and standard combat score at '3'... and I need these to be higher to unlock more things down the road.
    You are on something strange
  • thapper
    Adept
    • Aug 2008

I don't know any way around this, but I would also be excited to hear about it if it exists. Perhaps it is one of the reasons that Wonderland mode is marked as broken?

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
      Knight
      • Apr 2007

Thanks. I figured there wasn't a way around it. It's probably most obvious in Wonderland mode, but I've hit several levels at once in regular mode lately too, just not 16!.. only maybe 4-5. I'm assuming this is just a glitch, or bug, and not purposeful game design... but I could be wrong. In any case, I'm just going to debug-mode fix my character somehow since I can't program-fix it.

Comment

• EpicMan
        Swordsman
        • Dec 2009

In town (in your home I think) you can buy skill limit increases (up to 20). That doesn't help you in Wonderland mode, though.
        Last edited by EpicMan; July 2, 2014, 16:26. Reason: spelling

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
          Knight
          • Apr 2007

Oh wow, I've never noticed that before, thanks for pointing this out. That would actually solve my problem, but I just noticed that skill max cost rises as your character levels up. It starts out at 750 gold per point, which is just fine by me... but my Wonderland characters who make it to town are about 20-25 and by that time the cost per point is 15,000 gold!

If I can steal enough expensive loot it still might be worth it to speed up progress on some of the skill trees.

Comment

• buzzkill
            Prophet
            • May 2008

I'm amazed that you got a wonderland character to town, or anywhere outside of the first few levels. This makes me want to play Steam again.
            www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
            My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
              Knight
              • Apr 2007

From what I recall from the characters of yours I've seen, you play really hardcore. I am playing it softcore... as I am stairscumming the hell out of wonderland mode! I don't see any way around this, but I thought I'd put it out there in case somebody has made it out alive without this tactic. Also, I've only had one non-ghost make it to town. The other being a giant with extreme patience and madly toned calves.

The experience leap I'm getting comes from drinking un'id potions. It's not until I hit maybe 20 levels away from start than I can kill something if I must. I'm also maxing stealth, which is something I would never do with a non-wonderland.

Comment

• mewmew
                Apprentice
                • Jul 2014

I don't want to create a separate thread, but I have a couple of Steamband questions too.

If I press g to gain stats on level up and some of my stats were previously drained, do they get the stat gain after I restore them or it's wasted for them? I know I should probably write down and check but it's not that easy to do, to write down your stats every level till they get drained, may be somebody knows already?

When I turn identified books to the library they cost 1-4 points, but sometimes I actually get less points that their price. I turned a book ('Through the Looking-Glass') for 4 points recently and got just 1, it was frustrating. I even fell into superstition and now turn books only with full hp, sp, wp and no drained stats :3 still sometimes I get 1 instead of 2, sometimes I get 2 of 2 and I have no idea why. Actually when I wrote this I got another idea, I mostly identify books with a spell and it may be the reason... but I peek into their contents too, I clearly recall I peeked into 'Through the looking glass' before turning it to the library. So, from now on I will not identify them by spells/ I doubt it helps though.

Comment

• buzzkill
                  Prophet
                  • May 2008

It's been awhile. Doesn't returning book to the library get you skill points to spend on character development?
                  www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
                  My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Nick
                    Vanilla maintainer
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by mewmew
                    IWhen I turn identified books to the library they cost 1-4 points, but sometimes I actually get less points that their price. I turned a book ('Through the Looking-Glass') for 4 points recently and got just 1, it was frustrating. I even fell into superstition and now turn books only with full hp, sp, wp and no drained stats :3 still sometimes I get 1 instead of 2, sometimes I get 2 of 2 and I have no idea why. Actually when I wrote this I got another idea, I mostly identify books with a spell and it may be the reason... but I peek into their contents too, I clearly recall I peeked into 'Through the looking glass' before turning it to the library. So, from now on I will not identify them by spells/ I doubt it helps though.
                    My recollection is that using 'I' on the book is enough to get you the full price on return.
                    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• mewmew
                      Apprentice
                      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Nick
                      My recollection is that using 'I' on the book is enough to get you the full price on return.
                      I wish, I already got 1 instead of 2 a couple of times now using 'I' only. It's probably an odd bug.

Originally posted by buzzkill
                      It's been awhile. Doesn't returning book to the library get you skill points to spend on character development?
                      Yes it does, but it sometimes gives me the wrong number of them.

Comment

• klassik
                        Apprentice
                        • Sep 2013

i have a question.

with all the changes in wording of things in steamband, what term should i look for to find enchantment mechanisms.

maybe a better question would be if enchantment exists in this variant.

hopefully i can find a better way to ask my question by the time i post my gadgeteer on the ladder.

edit:
                        let me try putting the link into this post:
                        Last edited by klassik; August 17, 2014, 00:21.
                        He did the mash.
                        He did the morgoth mash.
                        The morgoth mash.
                        It was an angband smash.

Comment

• mewmew
                          Apprentice
                          • Jul 2014

Mechanisms of enchant weapon or armor? They may exist there, but if so they are very rare, you better find another weapon. It's of little use anyway, aesthete class can enchant ('enhance') weapon and armor but it doesn't help them much except for unlimited cash (Steamband has that exploit of selling enchanted items back to the shop).

Generally mechanisms are just like scrolls but with the word 'mechanism of' instead of 'scroll of', all those 'Copper Anemonet' etc it's irrelevant flavor like 'us inflacto' etc scroll titles in Vanilla, if you are not sure what it does, check it with 'I'.

Mechanisms = scrolls, tools = staves, apparatuses = rods, enigmatic devices = spell books for engineers (there are ordinary spell books too).

Also about my questions, I found the answer for one of them on the internet
                          >You get a random amount between 1 and the number displayed when you return a book to the library.
                          Not sure if it's true... it's a bit strange anyway.
                          Last edited by mewmew; August 17, 2014, 05:15.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎