X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HugoVirtuoso
    Veteran
    • Jan 2012

[All variants] Best early-game find?

What's the best early-game find you ever had in ANY variant including Vanilla?

This one takes the cake:
    In PosChengband 3.3.1 - At clvl 5 and within 3 minutes from the start, I found a Ring of Speed (+7) in a chest inside a random wilderness hut and I have not yet entered a single dungeon!
    Last edited by HugoVirtuoso; June 2, 2014, 02:19. Reason: Making sure I give specifics on which variant I was playing...
    My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso
  • Derakon
    Prophet
    • Dec 2009

I've gotten a Dagger (Holy Avenger) from Farmer Maggot before.

And waaaaaay back in 2.4, I once killed a player ghost at somewhere between 400' and 800' and got the Trident of Ulmo, which is a pretty awesome weapon, frankly.

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Well, there's this...
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
        Prophet
        • Apr 2008

Best early find is probably a potion of experience at 50'. Of course, Wrath of God from Maggot is also a good candidate...
        PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Zireael
          Adept
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Derakon
          And waaaaaay back in 2.4, I once killed a player ghost at somewhere between 400' and 800' and got the Trident of Ulmo, which is a pretty awesome weapon, frankly.
          What variant has player ghosts?

Comment

• Derakon
            Prophet
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Zireael
            What variant has player ghosts?
            I believe O/S/FA all do, but Vanilla also did way back in the beginning. I don't remember why they got removed.

Comment

• Estie
              Veteran
              • Apr 2008

The idea comes from Nethack I believe which back in the days was commonly played on university networks by multiple people, so you would typically meet
              someone elses ghost and get (some of) his equipment at death and in the mensa talk about it: "Wow, you had Excalibur when you died on level 4!".

The fun is lost mostly when you play alone and only ever meet your own ghosts, so I guess thats why it got removed.

Comment

• poschengbandplayer
                Apprentice
                • Apr 2014

I had found a ring of speed (+11) once in poschengband,in under less than 20 minutes playtime :-)!it was in one of the random seas,and it was extremely lucky,because i was about to get the hell out of there,but then i decided to man up and explore the surrounding rooms...(stealth was only fair..)

Comment

• Angrist
                  Adept
                  • Jul 2014

Ring of speed <+6> on dLevel 12 on the floor.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                    Veteran
                    • Jan 2012

Recently found by my PosChengband 3.3.5 Hugo$oul 2596 character at around the 2 hour mark:
                    The Trident of Ulmo (4d8) (+15,+19) (+4) {Lu, Clvl 27, Anti-magic cave 40, ground}
                    Last edited by HugoVirtuoso; September 27, 2014, 13:58. Reason: Fixed formatting; and clarified which variant

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                      Veteran
                      • Jan 2009

Once, very long ago, in the days when I received Angband on a floppy (yes, sadly I'm that old) disk from a guy I met who was playing Angband on an airplane back in 1995, I was playing and at about dl10 cleared some rubble to find The One Ring! Didn't know how to play though, so I quickly died.

Left off playing for many years, then chanced upon all the wonderful things you all have been doing with this game. Started playing 3.4 and 3.5 dev, and twice found Aule in the early levels, but again, not knowing anything, I left it behind because it was too heavy. Sigh! If I'd only stored it at home. Then again, @ didn't live long enough to take advantage of it anyway.
                      “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                      ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• JohnCW9
                        Adept
                        • Jul 2009

[QUOTE=HugoTheGreat2011;93128]What's the best early-game find you ever had in ANY variant ] Best that i found robe of perm ace on level 1 9in t-plus which is a mod of tome
                        Last edited by JohnCW9; September 28, 2014, 02:13. Reason: Adding varent to if
                        My first legit winner http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=5114

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2012

This one takes the cake:
                          My PosChengband 3.4.0 Hugo$oul character found The Ring of Power (The One Ring) (+5) in the remains of Smeagol in the wilderness east of Outpost at clvl 16.

Comment

• Derakon
                            Prophet
                            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by HugoTheGreat2011
                            This one takes the cake:
                            My PosChengband 3.4.0 Hugo$oul character found The Ring of Power (The One Ring) (+5) in the remains of Smeagol in the wilderness east of Outpost at clvl 16.
                            Doesn't Smeagol have like a 1% chance to drop the One Ring in that variant? I mean, it's still really rare, but not as rare as if he had to get it "naturally".

Comment

• debo
                              Veteran
                              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Derakon
                              Doesn't Smeagol have like a 1% chance to drop the One Ring in that variant? I mean, it's still really rare, but not as rare as if he had to get it "naturally".
                              1/666 = 0.15% ish, not quite phantasy-star-online-rare but still p.rare
                              Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎