[PosChengband] Going forward (or wrapping up)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris
    PosChengband Maintainer
    • Jan 2008

[PosChengband] Going forward (or wrapping up)

I'm always looking forward to calling it quits one of these days. But there are still a few things that bother me slightly. One of these is the inordinate number of racial choices combined with the newly added duplication between some normal races and their monster race counterparts (Archons vs. Angels, Balrogs vs Demons, Golems vs Golems, etc).

So I thought I would streamline the normal racial choices and force players to choose the monster version where appropriate. And don't worry, there are going to be some more new monster races coming (Vampires are up next, followed by Zombies I think. I'd also like to do something with Ents, Orcs, Kobolds and Centipedes!).

So here is a paired down list of normal racial choices. Please yell and scream if I've removed your favorite choice. Or pipe up if you think more could be removed.

Code:
    Table 1 - Race Statistic Bonus Table                          

STR  INT  WIS  DEX  CON  CHR  Life  BHP  Exp   
    Human           +0   +0   +0   +0   +0   +0  100%  +20  100%  
    Tonberry        +4   +0   -2   -4   +5   +0  108%  +26  175%  
    Demigod         +1   +1   +1   +1   +1   +1  100%  +20  180%  
    Hobbit          -2   +1   +1   +3   +2   +1   92%  +14  120%  
    Gnome           -1   +2   -1   +2   +1   -1   95%  +16  115%  
    Dwarf           +2   -2   +2   -2   +2   +1  103%  +22  135%  
    Half-Troll      +4   -4   -1   -3   +3   -2  107%  +25  150%  
    Amberite        +1   +2   +2   +2   +3   +0  100%  +20  190%  
    High-Elf        +1   +3   -1   +3   +1   +1   99%  +19  190%  
    Barbarian       +3   -2   -1   +1   +2   +2  103%  +22  135%  
    Half-Ogre       +3   -2   +0   -1   +3   +1  106%  +23  140%  
    Half-Giant      +4   -2   -2   -2   +3   +0  108%  +26  150%  
    Half-Titan      +5   +1   +2   -2   +3   +3  112%  +28  255%  
    Yeek            -2   +1   -2   +1   -2   -4   92%  +14   70%  
    Klackon         +2   -1   -1   +1   +2   +1  105%  +23  170%  
    Nibelung        +1   -1   +2   +0   +2   -2  103%  +22  165%  
    Dark-Elf        -1   +3   +2   +2   -2   +3   97%  +18  155%  
    Draconian       +2   +1   +1   +1   +2   +2  103%  +22  195%  
    Mindflayer      -3   +4   +4   +0   -2   -1   97%  +18  150%  
    Sprite          -4   +3   +3   +3   -2   -2   92%  +14  135%  
    Beastman        +2   -2   -1   -1   +2   +1  102%  +22  150%  
    Dunadan         +1   +2   +2   +2   +3   +0  100%  +20  160%  
    Shadow-Fairy    -2   +2   +2   +1   -1   -3   91%  +13  140%  
    Kutar           +0   -1   -1   +1   +2   +0  102%  +21  175%  
    Android         +3   -1   -5   +1   +3   +0  108%  +26  200%  
    Doppelganger    -3   -3   -3   -3   -3   -3   85%  +12  150%  
    Centaur         +3   -2   +1   +2   +1   +0  103%  +22  190%
    I've deprecated the following:
    Snotling
    Cyclops
    Kobold
    Imp
    Golem
    Skeleton
    Zombie
    Vampire
    Spectre
    Ent
    Archon
    Balrog.
  • clouded
    Swordsman
    • Jun 2012

On the one hand the million races is part of the appeal of poscheng, but on the other there is certainly some redundancy going on so trimming a little can't hurt. On the races you have left:

Half-Troll/Half-Giant/Half-Ogre are all very similar and seem to differ mainly in their single special ability and resistance, thematically I would actually prefer Cyclops over these races, this variant does have a fair amount of Greek things after all.

Amberite/Dunadan are identical in stats and skills, Amberites would obviously be the one to keep, since they have some abilities and Dunadan don't.

Sprite/Shadow-Fairy are similar and could be combined into a single fairy race, maybe light/dark as subraces but that doesn't seem hugely important.

For the depreciated races:

I like both Kobold and Imp, it's nice to have some decent quick leveling races. The plan you mentioned on my recent dump sounded good to me.

For the undead races I've only played spectre, but both spectre and vampire have very game changing gimmicks. I think there's also room for a plain melee focused nonliving race, if golems went too only Androids would fill that and they aren't quite plain.

To be truthful I'm not too fond of the idea of dropping the normal races of angel/demon/golem in favour of the monster ones. It is weird how there are two races for a few things but the monster races aren't going to differ too much over seperate games and these three have fairly well defined niches that can work for a lot of classes. Archons are maybe the weakest niche ("good priestly race") but Balrogs certainly have a strong one (very strong/tough race with one of the best device skills), Golems could maybe be filled by something else (high natural AC/nonliving). The monster races all have huge xp penalties too - 350% for both Angels and Balrogs, which is hard to stomach for me.

Perhaps those niches could just be shifted to elsewhere though. Dunadan could have their stats shifted to a much more wisdom heavy slant, a mundane device skill but high stealth. Dwarves get Balrogs excellent device skill, sharing the poor stealth and toughness Balrogs had. Then one of Zombie/Skeleton could remain as the nonliving, high AC melee race. Not sure what your plans would be for a zombie monster race but if skeletons remained as the normal race, maybe they would lose the weird potion thing (to be honest I only vaguely know about that, I haven't actually played one).

Comment

• chris
      PosChengband Maintainer
      • Jan 2008

Dunno if this is useful, but here is some racial data from the Japanese World Score server. I must say, Humans get next to zero play over here, but are wildly popular in Japan for some reason?

High-Elf 7967
      Human 5370
      Spectre 4553
      Draconian 3814
      Archon 3779
      Android 3512
      Hobbit 3299
      Vampire 2746
      Klackon 2147
      Balrog 2018
      Beastman 2008
      Kutar 1816
      Golem 1814
      Nibelung 1676
      Dunadan 1624
      Shadow-Fairy 1465
      Sprite 1414
      Half-Titan 1409
      Amberite 1402
      Zombie 1395
      Mindflayer 1303
      Dark-Elf 1248
      Dwarf 1206
      Imp 1111
      Elf 1060
      Skeleton 894
      Half-Elf 883
      Barbarian 848
      Gnome 714
      Ent 538
      Yeek 533
      Kobold 381
      Half-Ogre 346
      Half-Giant 305
      Half-Orc 295
      Cyclops 288
      Half-Troll 260

Comment

• AnonymousHero
        Veteran
        • Jun 2007

Given that monsters don't get to choose a class, I think it would be a shame to remove the "old" monster-type races.

Not that I'm actually playing the game or anything, but I've always been fond of the Golem race for its immunity to stun.

Comment

• ekolis
          Knight
          • Apr 2007

What if you (dun dun dun) *let monster PC's choose a class*?

Shocking, I know Just a wild idea!
          You read the scroll labeled NOBIMUS UPSCOTI...
          You are surrounded by a stasis field!
          The tengu tries to teleport, but fails!

Comment

• chris
            PosChengband Maintainer
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by ekolis
            What if you (dun dun dun) *let monster PC's choose a class*?

Shocking, I know Just a wild idea!
            I certainly thought about that. However, it is a huge design difference. For normal race/class choices, the racial component has a rather weak influence on player power, mainly affecting stats (which can be overcome with gear) and skills. The class choice has a far greater impact on the player's experience than the racial choice.

For the monster races, this dynamic is completely reversed. In fact, the "Monster" class has absolutely no effect on gameplay! Rather, it is the racial choice alone that completely determines the experience, and the races can therefor be designed much more aggressively. Of course, you lose the combinatorial factor with this approach. But you end up with a better design, IMO.

EDIT: And this is exactly the situation I was railing against: Scores of racial choices that are scarcely distinguishable from one another. I see very small utility in going from 40+ similarly designed races to 70+ ...

Comment

• chris
              PosChengband Maintainer
              • Jan 2008

BTW, I decided to just leave all the normal races as is.

So I won't do kobold or orc monster races since they really wouldn't add much. But I will do Vampire (in progress), Ghost (Scary), and Zombie (Think Dawn of the Dead). After that, I'm out of ideas

Zombies should be eating brains, btw!

Comment

• Derakon
                Prophet
                • Dec 2009

Originally posted by chris
                EDIT: And this is exactly the situation I was railing against: Scores of racial choices that are scarcely distinguishable from one another. I see very small utility in going from 40+ similarly designed races to 70+ ...
                It sounds then like what needs to happen is that the non-monster "monster" races that actually provide extra variety ought to be renamed to something non-monstrous.

Of course, you're also facing the problem that no matter what change you make, somebody won't like it.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                  Veteran
                  • Jan 2012

Originally posted by chris
                  Zombies should be eating brains, btw!
                  Zombies should be required to 'E'at live monsters in order to sustain itself.
                  My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• ekolis
                    Knight
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by HugoTheGreat2011
                    Zombies should be required to 'E'at live monsters in order to sustain itself.
                    As should vampires, but vampires' eating of live monsters should only weaken them a bit, not outright kill them. Though to balance it out, the zombie version should have a higher fail rate... we're talking about removing a creature's brain versus just draining a bit of blood!
                    You read the scroll labeled NOBIMUS UPSCOTI...
                    You are surrounded by a stasis field!
                    The tengu tries to teleport, but fails!

Comment

• Avenger
                      Apprentice
                      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by ekolis
                      As should vampires, but vampires' eating of live monsters should only weaken them a bit, not outright kill them. Though to balance it out, the zombie version should have a higher fail rate... we're talking about removing a creature's brain versus just draining a bit of blood!
                      Concerning odd sustainment methods, I'd like a little more variety for Balrogs. Maybe not just human, but humanoid(orcs, kobolds, giants, etc) corpses could be used as sacrifices.

I also wanted to post in favor of monster classes, but you've already replied to that, so what about giving some monster races access to some forms of book magic, in addition to their inherent abilities?

On that note, would it be possible to integrate something like ZAngband has, to recognize equivalent spells across different realms of book magic?
                      C(6.3) C Erirbag [Half-Ogre Cultist] L:39 DL:Collector's Cave 2 A+ R+ Sp w:The Long Sword of Karakal (2d5) (+9, +12) (+2)
                      C(TN/Do) W H- D-- c-- f PV s- d+ P++ M?
                      C S++ I+ So B- ac- GHB- SQ RQ V+ F:TomeNET Game Progression

Comment

• chem
                        Adept
                        • Sep 2007

I always enjoyed playing golem or spectre races.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎