X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Therem Harth
    Knight
    • Jan 2008

Neoband 0.1.0

Update: Due to a stupid typo, one of the Avatar spells was not castable, so I've released version 0.1.1 as a bugfix update. All Avatar spells should be castable in 0.1.1. Sorry about that!

Has been released! Changes are as follows...

Classes
    - Added the Avatar class. Avatars are (or think they are) the chosen disciples of a god. They are somewhat like a bookless Paladin class, and have a fairly easy start. Avatar powers are accessed through the 'p' key. Note that Avatars cannot cast while blind, confused, or scared; however, their faith is so unwavering that their prayers never fail otherwise.

Magic
    - Pyromancy's Fire Bolt spell now costs 1 SP, not 2.

Bugfixes
    - Pyromancer spells now fail occasionally, as they should
    - Pyro fail rates don't get a mana adjustment, because spells cannot be cast at all without sufficient mana
    - Pyromancy now just ignores invalid spell choices, instead of spamming useless messages
    - Pyro spells never waste a turn if the player aborts them
    - Bookless magic disallows command repetition to avoid bugginess

Other code changes
    - The CASTER flag is no longer used
    - Pyromancy uses spell_stat, and Pyromancers get a "dummy" M: line
    - Got rid of the useless MAX_PYRO_SPELLS definition

You can grab the sources here, as usual:

Compiling instructions

Linux
    You at least need the X11, ncurses, GTK2, or SDL and SDL-ttf libraries and header files installed, as with Vanilla Angband. SDL-mixer is needed if you want sound.

(For Ubuntu or Debian, 'apt-get install build-essential xorg-dev' will take care of the basic requirements.)

Once you've unpacked the tarball, cd into the neoband directory and run:

./configure --with-no-install
    make
    mv src/angband .

This will allow you to run Neoband by opening the directory and clicking on the executable.

Please note that installing Neoband system-wide through 'make install' is really not recommended at this point. I cannot guarantee the safety of the code I've added. Please do not run this program on production systems, and understand that you run it at your own risk.

Windows
    I've never compiled Vanilla or Neoband on Windows, and likely never will. The procedure for compiling with the Win32 interface should look something like this:

- Install MinGW and MSys with the current MinGW installer.
    - Unpack the Neoband tarball (using 7zip or such)
    - Open up an MSys console and cd into the source folder
    - Run (as on Linux):

./configure --with-no-install
    make
    mv src/angband .

But keep in mind that this may be way off.

OSX
    I unfortunately don't have the foggiest notion how to compile any of the interfaces on OSX. If anyone does, please drop me a line.

Thanks for all the help, hope you people enjoy it.

P.S. I'm starting on a new job shortly, so things may be dormant for a while. Neoband is not going to vanish, but development will probably slow down a lot. So if you want anything added or fixed ASAP, now would be a good time to mention it.
    Last edited by Therem Harth; January 25, 2013, 21:45. Reason: Bugfix update
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

If you could set up an obvious way to download source from gitorious, that would be good.

For Windows, your instructions are mostly correct; here's the amended version:
    Code:
    - Install MinGW and MSys with the current MinGW installer.
    - Unpack the Neoband tarball (using 7zip or such)
    [CODE]
    - Open up an MSys console and cd into the source folder
    - Run make -f Makefile.win
    - copy angband.exe one directory up
    [/CODE]

Or download neoband011-win.zip

For OSX, make sure you have Xcode installed and the Neoband source, then
    Code:
    - open a terminal
    - cd into the source directory
    - run make -f Makefile.osx (the dmg file Angband-3.2.0.dmg will be in the top level neoband directory)
    Or you could use this more prettily named version
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Therem Harth
      Knight
      • Jan 2008

OMG thank you!

Re downloading from Gitorious - you have to click "Source Tree", then "v0.1.1", then "Download v0.1.1 as tar.gz".

Be warned though that there's a nasty wraparound bug in one of the high-level spells, so another minor version bump is coming down the pipe...

Edit: Or not? Funny, I cannot reproduce this bug. It might be a savefile thing.
      Last edited by Therem Harth; January 26, 2013, 02:09.

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Therem Harth
        Re downloading from Gitorious - you have to click "Source Tree", then "v0.1.1", then "Download v0.1.1 as tar.gz".
        Yeah, I worked that out - I was just thinking that making downloads of source (and executables) as easy as possible is a desirable goal.
        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• jevansau
          Adept
          • Jan 2009

Been enjoying this variant. The packed levels certainly make teleport even less of a good escape, even at early levels.

There seems to be a bug in the Avatar class where it has Int defined as the spell stat instead of Wis. I did the easy change to the M line:
          M:91:1:1:350 to M:91:2:1:350 and that seems more appropriate.

The power display and descriptions are also a bit messy, but are still usable.

Looking forward to see what future releases bring.

Regards,
          Jonathan

Comment

• Therem Harth
            Knight
            • Jan 2008

Thanks, and glad to see that anyone other than me has been playing it. I'll probably get to a new release this weekend, maybe I'll read up a bit on printf() and see if I can tidy up the menus.

And yes, the Avatar class is supposed to use WIS. Next release will see one that uses DEX (the Sapper) and there might be a CHR based one coming down the pipe at some point (Illusionist? Bard?). I'm hoping they'll all be unique enough, and not too overpowered (even with the higher monster density).

Comment

• jevansau
              Adept
              • Jan 2009

Found a bug where Deluge is causing Neoband .11 to stop working (on Windows 7). It worked fine up to this level but now seems to cause a crash.

I can send you a savefile from just before a crash if it will help.

I haven't tried compiling .2 yet so I can test.

Comment

• Therem Harth
                Knight
                • Jan 2008

How is Deluge supposed to do that? I thought Windows 7 had memory protection up the wazoo.

Windows, Windows. Maybe a dumb question, but are you sure your AV/firewall/what have you is not messing something up?

(And yes, in case you hadn't noticed, I'm bad at debugging. Particularly on Windows.)

Comment

• jevansau
                  Adept
                  • Jan 2009

The character in question has just hit CL 40, so maybe that has triggered an issue. It could be something external on the machine, but it has been working up to now. I can try on another machine tonight.

Do you want the savefile to see if it causes a similar issue on linux?

Comment

• Therem Harth
                    Knight
                    • Jan 2008

Sure, I'll check out the savefile, just attach it to your next post.

(It may take me a while to get to it though. Work has been intense lately.)

Comment

• jevansau
                      Adept
                      • Jan 2009

Here is the savefile.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• jevansau
                        Adept
                        • Jan 2009

I was going to install MinGW and test, but Sourceforge is having issues.

Looking at the power, I'd guess that the issue is with the size of the effect. Since problems started when hitting level 40 and hence radius 40 there may be some limit in the display or processing code - I certainly can't think of anything else with a similar radius.

It might be worth restricting the radius to a maximum of 39 to avoid this issue.

Comment

• Therem Harth
                          Knight
                          • Jan 2008

This doesn't seem to be reproducible for me; I'm not getting any crashes whatsoever.

A few more questions:

- What were you torrenting at the time, if you don't mind my asking?

- How did the crash manifest exactly?

- Are you using EMET, or some other exploit mitigation mechanism that might cause shoddily written programs to crash?

Edit: N/M, there we go! The crash happens when casting Deluge, and... Oh wow I'm an idiot. I thought you meant Deluge the cross-platform Bittorrent client. I had completely forgotten I'd named a spell Deluge.

Okay. Wow. Sorry about that.

Anyway, the error in the Windows log viewer is as follows:

Windows cannot access the file for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program angband.exe because of this error.

Program: angband.exe
                          File:

The error value is listed in the Additional Data section.
                          User Action
                          1. Open the file again. This situation might be a temporary problem that corrects itself when the program runs again.
                          2. If the file still cannot be accessed and
                          - It is on the network, your network administrator should verify that there is not a problem with the network and that the server can be contacted.
                          - It is on a removable disk, for example, a floppy disk or CD-ROM, verify that the disk is fully inserted into the computer.
                          3. Check and repair the file system by running CHKDSK. To run CHKDSK, click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then click OK. At the command prompt, type CHKDSK /F, and then press ENTER.
                          4. If the problem persists, restore the file from a backup copy.
                          5. Determine whether other files on the same disk can be opened. If not, the disk might be damaged. If it is a hard disk, contact your administrator or computer hardware vendor for further assistance.

Additional Data
                          Error value: 00000000
                          Disk type: 0
                          Ugh, that's bizarre. I really have no idea where that came from. I'll do some looking into it as time allows, but I'm not a Windows guy, and this bug doesn't seem to exist on Linux...

Edit again: grr, let's not break the formatting this time. And wow. This post is one for the history books.
                          Last edited by Therem Harth; February 7, 2013, 00:21.

Comment

• jevansau
                            Adept
                            • Jan 2009

Confirmed my theory - I built a version of Neoband with Deluge restricted to a radius of 39 and casting it no longer causes a crash.

Comment

• Therem Harth
                              Knight
                              • Jan 2008

I [thought[/i] there might be some kind of bug there.

I'll deal with that in the next release - probably this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎