Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cyx
    Rookie
    • Feb 2013

Just wanted to say, thanks for taking time to make the game. I'm terrible at roguelikes so I don't play them that often but I love the design philosophy of Halls of Mist so I come back to it a lot ! Still terrible at it though !

Comment

• Mikko Lehtinen
      Veteran
      • Sep 2010

Thanks, Cyx! I'm glad you like the game.

Comment

• Mikko Lehtinen
        Veteran
        • Sep 2010

Halls of Mist now has an official home page. There's nothing new there. I simply collected all announcement posts and other relevant info and put them in the blog.

Version 1.4 is in a fine shape, I'm having lots of fun with it. I've concentrated the dungeon levels from 48 to 30, removed mages and mystics from the game, redesigned the melee weapons list so that damage increases smoothly as you descend, and tweaked how blows are calculated. Inspired by Darren Grey's comments on the Sil on Roguelike Radio thread, weapons now deal a set amount of damage.

I've also modified the rarity line for all items so that item types are just as common on every dungeon level. While doing this, I also added lots randomness to the drops. That golden ring or an aluminium wand dropped on DL 3 might be almost anything... Based on playtesting, the new item rarity system is super fun.

Unfortunately I'm not going to release for a while. I realized that I still need to redo the artifact list, and I don't have either time or energy to do that right now.

If you want to help, please give me some ideas for new artifacts! Even a cool name is very helpful. I especially want to have an artifact melee weapon for each race, and an artifact for each goddess.

Races: human, elf, dwarf, gnome, grippli (frogs), lizardmen, rattikin, felpurr (cats), ursa (bears), vargr (wolves), kyrrus (mountain goats).

Goddesses:
        Code:
        Beleth, the Queen of Hell (obsession)

Laverna, the Mistress                  Discordia, the Warrior
        of the Underworld                      (conflict)
        (secrets)

Cyrridven, the Crone    Eostre, the Maiden of Spring
                  (transformation)          (purity)

Comment

• ekolis
          Knight
          • Apr 2007

No mages? Aww, magic is fun
          You read the scroll labeled NOBIMUS UPSCOTI...
          You are surrounded by a stasis field!
          The tengu tries to teleport, but fails!

Comment

• Mikko Lehtinen
            Veteran
            • Sep 2010

Spellswords, Rangers, Priests and Shamans are still there.

With the Ironband mana system, I find magic is more fun when it's just one of the options for handling combat. You have to take danger level and resting time (regenerating hitpoints) into account, and make decisions based on that.

Simply blasting bolts at everything until mana runs out was too repetitive.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎