X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seany C
    Swordsman
    • Apr 2007

FAA - near-unavoidable deaths...

So, you are a CL25 Necro, DL29 on Amon Rudh, pootling along and managing to kill most stuff (and avoiding Hardened Warriors, Colbrans and the like).

First turn down, you detect monsters - you see a Dark Elven Druid just around the corner from you. In that same turn, it turns the corner and summons spiders.

Result: 3 Giant Black Spiders, all +10 speed and attacking to blind at least once a round. Despite a big stack of !CCW and ?Tele/?TL, the Necro never got her sight back for long enough to read a scroll and died 5 turn later...

Oh, and the clincher - despite checking the shops every turn no Staves of Teleportation or Speed potions encountered at any point of the game.

No actual point to this ramble - just felt like venting...
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Yep, I lose more characters to those than any other monster. But I usually have more chance to escape. I'd like to say I'm sorry, but I kind of like seeing my critters doing such a good job

Dwarves and Longbeards make good Necros, btw - with no blinding issues...
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Bandobras
      Knight
      • Apr 2007

Perhaps there is a point: generate summoned monsters with 0 energy? Summons are bad enough...

Comment

• Seany C
        Swordsman
        • Apr 2007

Nick - heh, no worries - I hate easy games. The only reason I picked an Adan rather than a Longbeard was that I wanted to concentrate on races that hadn't won yet (Dwarves are still an option then)...

Bandobras - that's an idea. The current alternative is to avoid going below, say, DL24, until you have at least one Tele staff or a couple of !Speed - I don't think I've ever got to DL29 without any !Speed before...

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎