• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Camcolit
    Scout
    • Apr 2011

Zangband Tk Heavy Weapon Penalties

Hi all,

I just fired up Zangband Tk again and have an annoying issue. I wonder if someone can shed some light on the mechanics here because I can't find it in any of the documentation I've read.

I started a rogue and with a light short sword his 'fighting' is listed as 'fair' -

Then when I switch to a heavier 2d6 axe his fighting becomes 'bad' -

I don't know what the difference between 'fair' and 'bad' is in hard numbers, don't know why changing the weapon affects this. I also don't know what it doesn't affect the 'deadliness', '+ to skill' or 'blows a round' stats. They remain exactly the same with both weapons.

Hope someone can help me understand what's going on here. Thanks a lot.
  • Camcolit
    Scout
    • Apr 2011

Seems the pictures didn't work - I'll attach for anyone who wants. Sorry.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Estie
      Veteran
      • Apr 2008

I dont know zang very well, but in vanilla "fighting" means to hit. Something like that would happen if a character with too little strength were using a heavy weapon (for example a mage a lance), but you do get a warning message when wielding something too heavy. Other than that, it could also be that the to hit enchantment on your shortsword is (much) higher than on the axe, something like +10 vs +0. Imo just keep using the axe and see if you hit enough with it.

Comment

• Camcolit
        Scout
        • Apr 2011

Hey thanks. No, both weapons have zero enchantment. Seems this is a bit opaque. I don't get any warning message when I equip the weapon that is too heavy. Guess I will keep playing the rogue and try not to equip anything heavier than a katana, which I can manage. Would like to know what the hell is going on though . This is an old variant, I know.

Comment

• Nick
          Vanilla maintainer
          • Apr 2007

In some variants (particularly O-combat variants, which includes at least some versions of Z) rogues get a bonus for using lighter weapons - that could be why the sword is better than the axe.
          One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
          In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎