X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghengiz
    Adept
    • Nov 2011

Originally posted by caruso
    When I unpack the folder, I get several error messages that certain files cannot be output. This includes the .exe file, several .hlp files and font files.

Also, the unpacked folder ended up in the virtual store of Windows Vista, which you can only access by searching for "appdata".

I am already using the latest version of 7-Zip (9.20). Any ideas? At the moment I cannot even use the built-in unpacker because 7-Zip automatically handles all .zip files.
    a virtual store? what a mess...
    it's been a while I last touched windows, but IIRC you should be able to do the following
    1) say to 7-zip to *not* handle zip files (there should be a "select extensions to associate with 7-zip" somewhere in its options)
    2) reboot just in case. this update the cache of the windows registry to reflect the change in 1)
    3) try to double-click on the zip file. if you have no more 3rd part zip-utilities installed, the built-in unpacker should kick in

edit:
    oops, I saw your edit just after I submitted this post. Glad you solved anyway

Comment

• caruso
      Adept
      • May 2011

Originally posted by ghengiz
      a virtual store? what a mess...
      Indeed...
      1) say to 7-zip to *not* handle zip files (there should be a "select extensions to associate with 7-zip" somewhere in its options)
      There is indeed such an option, but it keeps ignoring my resets even when I use the admin account Perhaps I had set the standard program via Vista, causing a conflict with the settings of the program.
      2) reboot just in case. this update the cache of the windows registry to reflect the change in 1)
      Will try in a minute.
      EDIT:
      No, does not seem to make a difference.
      3) try to double-click on the zip file. if you have no more 3rd part zip-utilities installed, the built-in unpacker should kick in
      It is always 7-Zip, presumably until I uninstall it or find the corresponding Windows settings.
      edit:
      oops, I saw your edit just after I submitted this post. Glad you solved anyway
      Thanks anyway!
      Last edited by caruso; February 14, 2012, 19:36.

Comment

• ghengiz
        Adept
        • Nov 2011

There is indeed such an option, but it keeps ignoring my resets even when I use the admin account Perhaps I had set the standard program via Vista, causing a conflict with the settings of the program.
        I heard of a terrible behaviour of vista...it seems to "fix" (in the typical M$ sense...) the changes the user does in the "c:\program files" directory, where software is installed by default.
        Thus, if a program stores his preferences in a file saved there, this results in vista simply ignoring the changes. They justify this saying that, if a programmer decided certains settings, s/he knows better than the user, so the latter should not mess with them...
        A workaround is to uninstall 7-zip, delete its subdirectory in program files, then install it somewhere else, for example in c:\
        If, after uninstalling 7-zip, and before installing it again, the built-in unpacker still does not work, I think something is broken in vista (not that I would be extremely surprised )

Comment

• Antoine
          Ironband/Quickband Maintainer
          • Nov 2007

Bugfix release at http://angband.oook.cz/quickband/Quickband_2_0_5b.zip: the main difference is that the Ban Sidhe, an experimental monster that causes many problems, is removed.

Enjoy
          A.
          Ironband - http://angband.oook.cz/ironband/

Comment

• caruso
            Adept
            • May 2011

I have a staff of *slays* (KillDragon), but I can't find "KillDragon" in the manual. Is it the same as "Execute Dragon" (damage x5 against dragons)?

Comment

• Antoine
              Ironband/Quickband Maintainer
              • Nov 2007

I have a staff of *slays* (KillDragon), but I can't find "KillDragon" in the manual. Is it the same as "Execute Dragon" (damage x5 against dragons)?
              Yes.... it is
              Ironband - http://angband.oook.cz/ironband/

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡