X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Malak Darkhunter
    Knight
    • May 2007

Npp and dos versions

Might be a impossible request, but is it possible to get latest versions of npp in dos version? I'm stuck with npp 0.4.1, which I like but was wondering if i could get 0.5.3 in dos format? I can play windows but really prefer not to. I use dosbox
  • Malak Darkhunter
    Knight
    • May 2007

Which i can't get to work in dosbox, dos version or ibm version

Comment

• ghengiz
      Adept
      • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Malak Darkhunter
      Might be a impossible request, but is it possible to get latest versions of npp in dos version? I'm stuck with npp 0.4.1, which I like but was wondering if i could get 0.5.3 in dos format? I can play windows but really prefer not to. I use dosbox
      Have you already tried to compile it yourself?
      The file compile.txt in the source distribution gives indication on how to compile npp on win platforms, via the lcc-win32 compiler, citing a "Windows executable" option.
      I'm not using a windows platform, so I cannot check it for you, but perhaps there is an option for compiling a console (i.e. dos, in this context) version

EDIT: better yet, if you are using dosbox on a non-windows platform, why don't just try and compile a native version?
      Last edited by ghengiz; November 22, 2011, 12:13.

Comment

• nppangband
        NPPAngband Maintainer
        • Dec 2008

NPP 0.5.x series are based on Angband 3.1.2v2, and Angband 3.1.2v2 did not have IBM/DOS ports.

It would be a moderate programming of work to take the old main.ibm or main.dos files from NPP 0.4.x and their makefiles to get them to compile the latest codebase. It should work though, and if anybody does it I would be happy to include them with all future NPP releases.
        NPPAngband current home page: http://nppangband.bitshepherd.net/
        Source code repository:
        https://github.com/nppangband/NPPAngband_QT
        Downloads:
        https://app.box.com/s/1x7k65ghsmc31usmj329pb8415n1ux57

Comment

• Magnate
          Angband Devteam member
          • May 2007

Originally posted by nppangband
          NPP 0.5.x series are based on Angband 3.1.2v2, and Angband 3.1.2v2 did not have IBM/DOS ports.

It would be a moderate programming of work to take the old main.ibm or main.dos files from NPP 0.4.x and their makefiles to get them to compile the latest codebase. It should work though, and if anybody does it I would be happy to include them with all future NPP releases.
          But ... someone did contribute a main-wcn.c and associated files for a DOS-like port of 3.1.2v2 (wcn stands for Windows Console). I can't remember who it was, but [remembers to try Search function] ...

... it was Dean Anderson, in this thread. The actual attachment is here.

This *isn't* a DOSbox-friendly port, I don't think. But it might be enough to satisfy Malak ....
          "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
            Knight
            • May 2007

I have windows vista, use dosbox for most dos compiled games, occasionally I run into a problem, nppangband.exe wont run in dosbox for some reason, tried the dos and ibm version, typing nppangband.exe gets an illegal command, not sure why though as im sure this is the application file.

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
              Knight
              • May 2007

actualy I can't get 0.3.4 or 0.4.1 to work in dosbx it acts like nppangband.exe is not the application file.

Comment

• ekolis
                Knight
                • Apr 2007

I've never used Dosbox, but might it be choking on the long file name? What if you rename it to nppang.exe to fit within the 8-character DOS limit?
                You read the scroll labeled NOBIMUS UPSCOTI...
                You are surrounded by a stasis field!
                The tengu tries to teleport, but fails!

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
                  Knight
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by ekolis
                  I've never used Dosbox, but might it be choking on the long file name? What if you rename it to nppang.exe to fit within the 8-character DOS limit?
                  nah, tried that and a few other combinations, keep getting *illegal command*, it dosen't seem to recognize that application file for some reason, can get the directory mounted into dosbox but wont launch the application.

Comment

• Magnate
                    Angband Devteam member
                    • May 2007

Originally posted by Malak Darkhunter
                    nah, tried that and a few other combinations, keep getting *illegal command*, it dosen't seem to recognize that application file for some reason, can get the directory mounted into dosbox but wont launch the application.
                    Isn't it likely that it's been compiled as a Win32 application? DOS is 16-bit, so DOSbox wouldn't recognise a 32-bit executable.
                    "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
                      Knight
                      • May 2007

Originally posted by Magnate
                      Isn't it likely that it's been compiled as a Win32 application? DOS is 16-bit, so DOSbox wouldn't recognise a 32-bit executable.
                      Well I don't know, it's npp 0.4.1 dos version, but i guess that is certainly a possibility, I might not be able to rectifiy this other than dragging one of my other computers out, that has windows me on it and set it up for angband games.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎