X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Plans for FA031

I'm (probably) about to start serious work on the next version of FAangband. Things on my list include:
    1. Fix a zillion bugs;
    2. Redo squelch, using my favourite bits of how it's been done elsewhere;
    3. Ditto shop interface;
    4. Implement UnAngband's multiline messages;
    5. Big rework of dragons;
    6. Changes to Morgoth;
    7. Redo terrain with properties instead of a bunch of special cases, as in Sangband and UnAngband;
    8. More cleaning up of mouse controls;
    9. Put proper menus in item selection and spellcasting (not much change to the player);
    10. Update the low level codebase to the latest vanilla version.

If this sounds like a lot, it is. In fact, version 0.3.1 may be just the bugfix, although I'd like to get at least down to number 4. 5-7 will take a lot of thinking and/or code change, so may have to wait. 8 will happen in conjunction with mouse stuff I've been doing for Vanilla, and will be a work in progress for some time. 9 & 10 are a little dependent on what's happening in Vanilla development; I've been putting 9 off in the hope that someone else will do it, but I may end up doing it anyway.

Not on the list is fixing the WinCE port which broke for 030; I may look at that soon, but I have the feeling that the big low-level changes in 030 were the problem, and I'm hesitant to fix something that I may be about to break again.

Any comments appreciated.
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
  • Seany C
    Swordsman
    • Apr 2007

Just 1-3 would be lovely in themselves (hell, just 1 would be great).

Any spoilers on what changes might be happening to dragons and Morgy?

Comment

• Psi
      Knight
      • Apr 2007

Sounds good! Comments as requested...
      Originally posted by Nick
      Big rework of dragons
      Any further info you want to share on that? I've no idea what you have in mind!
      Changes to Morgoth
      Are you wanting to make him harder or just different? I'd be wary of him becoming tougher until it is clear what the effect of removing the RoP exploit is.
      Redo terrain with properties instead of a bunch of special cases, as in Sangband and UnAngband
      This isn't going the NPP route is it? I've not played Un but I understand the NPP terrains come from there (and that is the only thing that I dislike in NPP so far). I don't think there is a need to overcomplicate the terrain.
      Not on the list is fixing the WinCE port which broke for 030; I may look at that soon, but I have the feeling that the big low-level changes in 030 were the problem, and I'm hesitant to fix something that I may be about to break again.
      The release date on the new HP pdas keeps going back, but when they do eventually release I'll take a look at fixing that too.

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Dragons: thematic reasons, biggish changes. d's will be non-flying (and possibly called worms), D's flying. Probably no D's outside Angband - these guys will be really scary. All will be evil. Possible new breath type, a combination of fire and poison.

Morgoth: thematic reasons again. Incredibly quick isn't really in theme, so probably slow him down and make him summon more. Especially dragons Possibly introduce some extra wrinkles into the final fight, but I'm still thinking about that.

Terrain probably won't change much to the player, it will mainly be the way it's handled internally. The main observable change should be that the descriptions of terrain improve (on the knowledge screen, for example).

Comment

• Psi
          Knight
          • Apr 2007

Morgoth: thematic reasons again. Incredibly quick isn't really in theme, so probably slow him down and make him summon more. Especially dragons Possibly introduce some extra wrinkles into the final fight, but I'm still thinking about that.
          I like the sound of that. One of the tedious things for me has always been scumming for enough speed to avoid being double-moved by Morgoth - which is quite difficult in FA and O due to the lack of speed items, compared to V say where plenty of artifacts add a few points of speed.

Just as long as he isn't summoning at a rate like the Queen Ant...

Comment

• takkaria
            Veteran
            • Apr 2007

I'm (probably) about to start serious work on the next version of FAangband. Things on my list include:
            1. Fix a zillion bugs;
            2. Redo squelch, using my favourite bits of how it's been done elsewhere;
            3. Ditto shop interface;
            4. Implement UnAngband's multiline messages;
            I'll probably try to steal 2,3,4, and maybe 5 if you do them.
            takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• Nick
              Vanilla maintainer
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by takkaria
              I'll probably try to steal 2,3,4, and maybe 5 if you do them.
              Cool. I'll trade for 9 & 10.

Comment

• takkaria
                Veteran
                • Apr 2007

Cool. I'll trade for 9 & 10.
                I'll prioritise 9 then, next time I want some repetitive and error-prone coding. (That'll be whilst watching TV, then.)
                takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• Psi
                  Knight
                  • Apr 2007

Nature's Vengeance doesn't display any damage or radius info in my spell book. Could you possibly post it up, Nick (and add it to the game)? I can't download the source here at work to take a look for myself.

Also I seem to remember average druid damage being discussed at one point - did this make it into the game anywhere? I'd love to compare the damage I can do bare-handed with powerstrike (with the improved to-hit) against what I am getting with Narsil.

Nice to see Elvenkind boots making an appearance - I was lucky enough to buy some from the armoury!

Cheers,
                  Si

Comment

• Nick
                    Vanilla maintainer
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Psi
                    Nature's Vengeance doesn't display any damage or radius info in my spell book. Could you possibly post it up, Nick (and add it to the game)?
                    6d6 + clev/3, + another 25% if the monster is on a tree. And I've noted that to go in.

Also I seem to remember average druid damage being discussed at one point - did this make it into the game anywhere? I'd love to compare the damage I can do bare-handed with powerstrike (with the improved to-hit) against what I am getting with Narsil.
                    Never made it in, now on the to do list.

Nice to see Elvenkind boots making an appearance - I was lucky enough to buy some from the armoury!
                    Nice for some

Comment

• Psi
                      Knight
                      • Apr 2007

6d6 + clev/3, + another 25% if the monster is on a tree. And I've noted that to go in.
                      Thanks. How far does the effect spread? Is it LoS like Dispel Evil or fixed radius like a noxious cloud?

With the druid damage calculator, it would be useful to factor in the probability of actually hitting as this increases dramatically when you switch to bare-hand.

Comment

• Nick
                        Vanilla maintainer
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Psi
                        Thanks. How far does the effect spread? Is it LoS like Dispel Evil or fixed radius like a noxious cloud?
                        Radius 5 about the player, regardless of LoS.

With the druid damage calculator, it would be useful to factor in the probability of actually hitting as this increases dramatically when you switch to bare-hand.
                        OK, I'll think about how best to do that.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎