X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikko Lehtinen
    Veteran
    • Sep 2010

Cool wands/staves/rods in variants?

I've had to remove many wands, staves, and rods in Fay. Many attack wands got removed because I didn't want to have too many duplicate effects in powder vials. I removed many utility staves (Perception, Detect Traps, etc) because Fay is different and didn't have a need for them.

I'd like to replace the removed devices with interesting items with unique effects. Have you seen any in the variants?
  • Antoine
    Ironband/Quickband Maintainer
    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Mikko Lehtinen
    I'd like to replace the removed devices with interesting items with unique effects. Have you seen any in the variants?
    I've got the Wand of Wall Building

A.
    Ironband - http://angband.oook.cz/ironband/

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

O's artifact devices are cool - I think the Staff of Winds is my favourite.
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Derakon
        Prophet
        • Dec 2009

ToME 2 had a Rod of Home Summoning, which was actually very rare for once since it's an incredibly powerful ability. Zapping it brought up the home interface.

Comment

• fizzix
          Prophet
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Derakon
          ToME 2 had a Rod of Home Summoning, which was actually very rare for once since it's an incredibly powerful ability. Zapping it brought up the home interface.
          I actually want something like this for V, but one-way only. You can store things at home immediately, but you have to return to take things out. This way you can drop off consumables that you pick up without having to make many trips back and forth, simplifying the endgame with only a slight ease in difficulty.

Comment

• Nomad
            Knight
            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by fizzix
            I actually want something like this for V, but one-way only. You can store things at home immediately, but you have to return to take things out. This way you can drop off consumables that you pick up without having to make many trips back and forth, simplifying the endgame with only a slight ease in difficulty.
            Maybe a Rod of Returning? Zap it on an item in your inventory to send it back to the home, wait out the recharge period before you can send anything else. (I guess there would just be a fail message if you try to send something back if there's no space, although if you wanted to be really cruel you could vanish the item permanently or have a random object in the home destroyed to make room for it.)

Comment

• will_asher
              DaJAngband Maintainer
              • Apr 2007

DAJ has:
              - wand of tunneldigging (digs into first 5 wall spaces instead of the 1 that stone to mud does- also does significant damage to HURT_ROCK monsters)
              - wand of storms (ball of water+lighting- water stuns)
              - staff of zapping (randomly zaps nearby monsters for minor damage for a duration)
              - staff of telekinesis (teleport an item from line of sight or within 8 spaces (higher range with high device skill or luck) but out of LOS into your inventory or the floor where you're standing if your inventory is full)
              - (deep & rare) rod of rift (like the spell)
              - staff of mana-free spellcasting (cast using staff charges instead of mana)
              - staff of charm animals (nearby animals will not breath or attack for duration, but attacking any charmed animal ends it instantly)
              Will_Asher
              aka LibraryAdventurer

My old variant DaJAngband:
              http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)

Comment

• Mikko Lehtinen
                Veteran
                • Sep 2010

Thanks for the ideas, everybody!

I decided to invent new devices that create or interact with different kinds of forcefields and walls.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎