Curiousity Question: How many variant have you won?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • will_asher
    DaJAngband Maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Curiousity Question: How many variant have you won?

Question: How many variants (including vanilla) have you won?
    and does winning a variant make you more inclined to try a new variant (since you've conquered that one)?

PS would anyone object to me asking a question about coding? I didn't want to ask people to help me with this, but this error is silly because: I made a chance, compiled, and it worked, and did that a few times. Then I made a chance, compiled, and it didn't work. So I undid that change, compiled and it still didn't work even though I undid the change that made it not work. I don't understand how that could happen.
    Will_Asher
    aka LibraryAdventurer

My old variant DaJAngband:
    http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by will_asher
    2, V and Steam.

and does winning a variant make you more inclined to try a new variant (since you've conquered that one)?
    Not really. I beat vanilla twice before trying any variants, and now I tend to switch variants after any decent length game, win or lose.

PS would anyone object to me asking a question about coding? I didn't want to ask people to help me with this, but this error is silly because: I made a chance, compiled, and it worked, and did that a few times. Then I made a chance, compiled, and it didn't work. So I undid that change, compiled and it still didn't work even though I undid the change that made it not work. I don't understand how that could happen.
    It could be that you haven't quite undone the change properly, or (depending on how you're testing) that your savefile is messed up from playing with the bad change. This sort of thing is a normal experience for maintainers who aren't expert programmers
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Psi
      Knight
      • Apr 2007

4: V, ToME, FA and O [Edit]Had forgotten about ToME[/Edit]
      Not really. I tend to stick with what I like and then try and win with other classes and/or a lower turncount (O was an exception as it was the comp and I was used to the combat from FA).
      Last edited by Psi; December 18, 2007, 16:02.

Comment

• Matthias
        Adept
        • Apr 2007

seven.

A variant needs to offer something special for me to try it out. Not necessarily something big. For example when I read the changelog of Un, the existance of item bags was enough to make me try it. For O it was the artifact wands. My winner never found of those though

Comment

• konijn_
          Hellband maintainer
          • Jul 2007

I won Z, Vanilla, Ey, Pern and ToME. I havent beaten Hellband yet ...
          For the compiling, just delete all the .obj and .o files to clean out your files.

T.
          * Are you ready for something else ? Hellband 0.8.8 is out! *

Comment

• pav
            Administrator
            • Apr 2007

Ey.

Can't say if winning it made me to look into other variants, because I stopped playing (almost) completely after that. The motivation was gone, I suppose.
            See the elves and everything! http://angband.oook.cz

Comment

• will_asher
              DaJAngband Maintainer
              • Apr 2007

That's at least two variant maintaners who've won other variants but not their own. that's kinda funny.
              Will_Asher
              aka LibraryAdventurer

My old variant DaJAngband:
              http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)

Comment

• Djabanete
                Knight
                • Apr 2007

2: V and Pos.

Sadly, I played a Dunadan Ranger for my V win (very munchkin win, I didn't cheat outright but I did clone a lot of wyrms); and a Chaos Dragon for the Pos win (where balance issues made the game very very easy).

Comment

• camlost
                  Sangband 1.x Maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

4: Sangband, Steamband, Pernband (pre-TOME), and Quickband
                  a chunk of Bronze {These look tastier than they are. !E}
                  3 blank Parchments (Vellum) {No french novels please.}

Comment

• Nick
                    Vanilla maintainer
                    • Apr 2007

That's at least two variant maintaners who've won other variants but not their own. that's kinda funny.
                    But quite common. I know Jeff and Diego have both won NPP, but I don't actually know of any other maintainer who has won their own variant.
                    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Slonk
                      Rookie
                      • Sep 2007

I've won a grand total of 0 times. I think I must be the worst *band player that has played as long as I have (12+ years between V, Ey, and now FA).

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
                        Knight
                        • Apr 2007

Seven, if you count my uber-cheesy Tome victory.

Yeah, beating a variant made me want to jump on to the next one. A checklist, of sorts.
                        You are on something strange

Comment

• Djabanete
                          Knight
                          • Apr 2007

I suppose Vanilla is already included in that count, but Ditchdigger counts as a win in my book.

Comment

• darkdrone
                            Apprentice
                            • Apr 2007

i've won none .... been playing only about a year , thanks to the outstanding Angband Comp ....

hey, its all about the journey and ALL of them are unique in one way or the other!

happy *Banding to everyone
                            "When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche.
                            (does this mean the RNG learns my worst fears, mummy?)

Comment

• Dragonboneman
                              Adept
                              • Aug 2007

None, or one if you count Vanilla. I've been more focused on trying to win V with each class than playing variants, but haven't had a serious attempt since my promising Gnome Mage bought the farm a while ago. I also won an early version of the Doom RL, but that's not a *band.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎