• Show
Clear All
  • Antoine
    Ironband/Quickband Maintainer
    • Nov 2007

Conducts

Hi

I'm contemplating changing Quickband so that:

- the Paladin gets no XP for killing non-evil monsters, but 125% normal for evil monsters

- the Druid gets no XP for killing animals, but 110% normal for non-animal monsters.

In the context of a variant, would you find this (a) good, (b) too annoying, or (c) other.

A.
    Ironband - http://angband.oook.cz/ironband/
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

(c) Interesting.
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• CJNyfalt
      Swordsman
      • May 2007

Well, I haven't played quick, but if you have ways to prevent non-evil monsters attacking paladins, and animals attacking druids it would probably be good. Otherwise, it might be annoying.

Comment

• buzzkill
        Prophet
        • May 2008

As long as Z hounds and a) evil and b) not animal. Maybe give the player an (optional) warning that the creature they are about to kill is worth zilch XP (esp druids who probably won't get a drop either).
        www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
        My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Philip
          Knight
          • Jul 2009

I think this could work well, the problem is that the paladin would probably be weak in the early game(at the start, kobolds are evil and that is about it) and strong when you kill monsters for objects(generally stuff that carries objects is evil). The druid would probably work well, but also be weak in the start(how many non-animal monsters are there that a druid could kill in the first 3 levels?) and in the endgame basically get a 10% XP boost, because in the endgame, monsters you don't want to kill=animals and both get removed.

Comment

• Djabanete
            Knight
            • Apr 2007

I'd find it annoying. I play roguelikes to beat up monsters, and I like earning my XP. Hounds are already enough of a hassle --- if I wasn't even getting experience for killing them, I'd switch variant or change the edit files so that they dropped me gold.

I wouldn't object to reduced XP for certain monsters, only to no XP.

That's just my two cents, and take it with a grain of salt since I'm not familiar with Quickband.

Comment

• Antoine
              Ironband/Quickband Maintainer
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Djabanete
              I wouldn't object to reduced XP for certain monsters, only to no XP.
              I'm now thinking to give the Paladin 50% XP for non-evil and 110% for evil, and leave the Druid alone for the meantime.

A.
              Ironband - http://angband.oook.cz/ironband/

Comment

• bio_hazard
                Knight
                • Dec 2008

Why not negative XP, say -10%?

I agree this would need to come with some mechanism to stop the monsters in question from attacking.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎