Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zireael
    Adept
    • Jul 2011

Okay, we both are busy at uni. But we hope to sort the bugs out.

Comment

• Zireael
      Adept
      • Jul 2011

Well, I haven't heard from qwerty in a long time. Anyone willing to give us a hand?

Comment

• ghengiz
        Adept
        • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Zireael
        Well, I haven't heard from qwerty in a long time. Anyone willing to give us a hand?
        well, I know a work around for the issue Therem Harth has (it has happened to me many times...):
        Originally posted by Therem Harth
        With July 25 git version:

<snip>

The game crashes after the character is created, complaining that it can't create the notes file.
        just manually create "~/.angband/Underdark/save" and at least the gcu version works fine

edit: I too had to edit makefile.std to remove the reference to snd-sdl.o
        Last edited by ghengiz; February 1, 2012, 10:20.

Comment

• ghengiz
          Adept
          • Nov 2011

Originally posted by relic
          I tried it briefly but after saving, the program couldn't open the save-file (this on OSX). I also tried to import the save-file but got error messages "Invalid player level 0", and "Broken save file". You may have to look at the save and load routines.

HTH
          I can confirm this on OSX 10.7.2 (precompiled app in the git repo)

Additionally, the X11 version crashes my X server(!) on launch...
          probably relevant data: the env variables
          ANGBAND_X11_FONT_0=10x20
          ANGBAND_X11_FONT_1=10x20
          but they work fine with vanilla and other variants

Comment

• Therem Harth
            Knight
            • Jan 2008

Probably an X11 bug that the variant just accidentally triggers. X should never ever crash. (But in practice crashes more often than Windows 98. )

Comment

• ghengiz
              Adept
              • Nov 2011

Probably an X11 bug that the variant just accidentally triggers. X should never ever crash. (But in practice crashes more often than Windows 98. )
              Yeah, possibly.
              At least there is not that hideous winblows' blue screen of death, and there is no need to force a system reboot, either

Wow, maybe I'm outrageously lucky, but I don't remember X11 has crashed on me *that* much in 10+ years, just once or twice I think

Comment

• Therem Harth
                Knight
                • Jan 2008

Well, either way you lose unsaved work... Same difference IMO.

Recently I think X has gotten better about not crashing, though it's also gotten worse about having fallback options in case accelerated rendering does crash. That being said, all told I've gotten about as many crashes in total from Linux as I have from Windows, and that includes a period using Windows 98/98SE.

(Though 98SE was pretty stable if you didn't mess with it too much. Shame it made MacOS 9 look like a stunning example of OS security.)

Comment

• ghengiz
                  Adept
                  • Nov 2011

Well, either way you lose unsaved work... Same difference IMO.
                  Although a reboot of a win box was slower than just run xstart, I agree with you, it's lost work anyway

(Though 98SE was pretty stable if you didn't mess with it too much. Shame it made MacOS 9 look like a stunning example of OS security.)
                  That is, if you just install it and don't touch it at all ever after?
                  Yep, no operating system is perfect (yet), and MacOS 9 had his faults, but it was still way better than windows on the security front.

IIRC, it was about those years that the following joke began to circulate:
                  WINDOWS as an acronim means "Work Is Never Done On Windows Systems"

Comment

• Therem Harth
                    Knight
                    • Jan 2008

True enough for me, most of the serious (and not-so-serious) computer stuff I do is done on Linux.

BTW Underdark seems to have nothing going on since July 2011.

Comment

• ghengiz
                      Adept
                      • Nov 2011

True enough for me, most of the serious (and not-so-serious) computer stuff I do is done on Linux.

BTW Underdark seems to have nothing going on since July 2011.
                      Indeed...let's hope this will change sometime.

I can offer a little help regarding your question
                      With July 25 git version:
                      Compiling

Lots of warnings about "initialization discard[ing] qualifiers from pointer target type." Not sure if that's inherited from NPP, or even important at all.

Makefile.std refers to snd-sdl.o but never compiles it (and couldn't in any case since snd-sdl.c does not exist). This causes linking to fail.
                      I just compiled npp from scratch, and it gives the same warnings, but it seems to run well, so they shouldn't be harmful. And even there snd-sdl.c is missing, BTW, so makefile.std needs to be edited accordingly.

Comment

• Zireael
                        Adept
                        • Jul 2011

It seems that the warnings are indeed inherited from NPP. Therem, thanks for the workaround...

Qwerty is still silent, and I realized I don't know enough about programming to do this.

Anyone willing to help me?

Comment

• nppangband
                          NPPAngband Maintainer
                          • Dec 2008

It seems that the warnings are indeed inherited from NPP. Therem, thanks for the workaround...

Qwerty is still silent, and I realized I don't know enough about programming to do this.

Anyone willing to help me?
                          Which version of NPP, and what are you using to compile?

NPP 0.5.4 is being released today. It compiles cleanly with MINGW for windows. In linux, (ubuntu), 054 compiles cleanly as well with one warning for main.sdl. 053 has plenty of harmless compiler warnings that have been cleaned up. I don't have access to a MAC, but AFAIK everything works ok.
                          NPPAngband current home page: http://nppangband.bitshepherd.net/
                          Source code repository:
                          https://github.com/nppangband/NPPAngband_QT
                          Downloads:
                          https://app.box.com/s/1x7k65ghsmc31usmj329pb8415n1ux57

Comment

• Therem Harth
                            Knight
                            • Jan 2008

Qwerty is still silent...
                            On that note, I hope nothing bad has happened.

Comment

• Zireael
                              Adept
                              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by nppangband
                              Which version of NPP, and what are you using to compile?

NPP 0.5.4 is being released today. It compiles cleanly with MINGW for windows. In linux, (ubuntu), 054 compiles cleanly as well with one warning for main.sdl. 053 has plenty of harmless compiler warnings that have been cleaned up. I don't have access to a MAC, but AFAIK everything works ok.
                              It was NPP 0.5.2.

I don't know what qwerty used, I just edited some text files pertaining to races.

EDIT: I'll grab NPP 0.5.4 and the files from the repo qwerty set up and will try to run it. Will see what happens.

Comment

• Zireael
                                Adept
                                • Jul 2011

The above didn't work IIRC.

Dropped off the face of the earth for a year, sorry, studies.

I'm going to restart this variant. My coding skills are a little better (I contributed a little to an open-source game), but still pretty limited.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎