Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zireael
    Adept
    • Jul 2011

Anyone knows where can I find monster list and player races for Z+ Angband? I can't find them...

And what is modifiable Angband? I heard about it somewhere...

Comment

• buzzkill
      Prophet
      • May 2008

Originally posted by Zireael
      Anyone knows where can I find monster list and player races for Z+ Angband? I can't find them...

And what is modifiable Angband? I heard about it somewhere...
      Everything, given C knowledge. Most of the easily mod'd stuff is in the lib/edit folder. That's where you'll a lot of what you're looking for.
      www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
      My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Zireael
        Adept
        • Jul 2011

I meant "modifiable Angband" as a name of a variant I heard about...

Comment

• Therem Harth
          Knight
          • Jan 2008

I think you're thinking of Programmable Angband, which was extensible in Python (and is very much dead at the moment).

Edit: there's another variant, PyAngband, which was actually an attempt by Sirridan to rewrite the whole thing in Python. Looks like he gave up on that though; GitHub says there's been no work on that in a while. Instead he seems to be working on an object oriented version of Angband in C++.
          Last edited by Therem Harth; July 16, 2011, 23:39.

Comment

• Zireael
            Adept
            • Jul 2011

Oh. I think I'll stick to NPP then. qwerty has kindly worked some on removing the town. And I'll have to start working on tweaking the monster list.

Comment

• Zireael
              Adept
              • Jul 2011

Qwerty and myself are now working on labeling the levels...

Comment

• will_asher
                DaJAngband Maintainer
                • Apr 2007

1. I know Sangband doesn't have levels, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to combine the traditional approach and the skills somehow...
                Steamband does this very well I think.

Also, I can testify that is really isn't hard to learn C by looking at the code. I had a little supplemental help from the silly beej's guide to C programming (I just skimmed it looking for answers to the things I couldn't figure out by looking at the code, and I didn't read anything past section 7), but I learned enough C to make my own variant mostly by looking at the Angband code (and asking a lot of questions here which I hope wasn't too annoying for everyone...).
                Will_Asher
                aka LibraryAdventurer

My old variant DaJAngband:
                http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)

Comment

• Zireael
                  Adept
                  • Jul 2011

I downloaded Steamband, played a bit and I like its skill system. It might be a thing I might adapt for the future versions of Underdark... Right now we're aiming for playable version that has the minimum stuff I wanted...

Link to the git repo for Underdark: https://github.com/qwerty16/Underdark

Comment

• Zireael
                    Adept
                    • Jul 2011

Anyone has any opinions?

Comment

• getter77
                      Adept
                      • Dec 2009

I say go for it if you've found some notions that strike a chord from the Steamband time capsule---perching on shoulders of giants and all that. In general, whatever comes to mind that'll add personality to the project and result in things getting wrangled successfully is a good way to go IMO.

Comment

• Zireael
                        Adept
                        • Jul 2011

Anyone who has tried to play it and has any opinions?

Comment

• relic
                          Apprentice
                          • Oct 2010

Anyone who has tried to play it and has any opinions?
                          I tried it briefly but after saving, the program couldn't open the save-file (this on OSX). I also tried to import the save-file but got error messages "Invalid player level 0", and "Broken save file". You may have to look at the save and load routines.

HTH
                          If you cannot answer a man's argument, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names. ~Elbert Hubbard

Comment

• Therem Harth
                            Knight
                            • Jan 2008

With July 25 git version:

Compiling

Lots of warnings about "initialization discard[ing] qualifiers from pointer target type." Not sure if that's inherited from NPP, or even important at all.

Makefile.std refers to snd-sdl.o but never compiles it (and couldn't in any case since snd-sdl.c does not exist). This causes linking to fail.

Running

In the X11 version, the default font (-angband-10x14x-*-iso8859-1) is unavailable on most (if not all) Linux systems. This isn't hard to remedy but it's something to watch out for IMO.

Playing

Some races (e.g. Drow) have obviously inaccurate physical descriptions. :P

The game crashes after the character is created, complaining that it can't create the notes file.

Global game preferences (like window size and font) appear to not be saved.

Comment

• Therem Harth
                              Knight
                              • Jan 2008

Oh one more thing: D&D offers some interesting ideas for monsters... Never played it myself, but there's probably plenty of stuff in the manuals. Isn't there some kind of evil spider goddess in the Underdark for instance? Maybe she could be the endboss.

Edit: it was Lolth, and she's in the Abyss: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolth Drat.
                              Last edited by Therem Harth; August 14, 2011, 20:13.

Comment

• Zireael
                                Adept
                                • Jul 2011

I'll try to get a hold of qwerty. Maybe she'll have a better idea of what's causing those things to happen.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎