X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fuma
    Adept
    • May 2007

Differently arranged fonts [S, Win7]

We all know Windows is a strange operating system that has its mood shifts and likes to break compatibility now and then.

For some unknown reason, the Sangband fonts work almost, but not quite. When viewing in the % edit character window and in game, the characters on position 16-27 are displayed as rectangles.

Today, I noticed, for some reason, there is a row visible directly below which is full of empty space. So I thought, why not try and shift around these characters? Unfortunately, I have no idea how to use font editors and the eudcedit.exe I found is strange and has no "load this file, copy and paste these here" easy way and I'm confused

So, could a kind soul maybe edit the 11x16xrb font of Sangband, move the 16th character to the 166th spot and upload it here? I'm curious if this whole problem can be solved by simply moving the extra characters around and editing visuals accordingly.
    www.snowleopard.org - International Snow Leopard Trust
  • Fuma
    Adept
    • May 2007

Tiny little bump after a month without any reply.

Comment

• JohnCW9
      Adept
      • Jul 2009

Why do do you have hounds chasing after you? Take a bone maybe
      My first legit winner http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=5114

Comment

• camlost
        Sangband 1.x Maintainer
        • Apr 2007

I've had similar thoughts, but I can't for the life of me find an editor that handles S fonts, at least in a way I can figure out. I wish Leon had left some notes about the fonts...
        a chunk of Bronze {These look tastier than they are. !E}
        3 blank Parchments (Vellum) {No french novels please.}

Comment

• Nick
          Vanilla maintainer
          • Apr 2007

There is a font-editing program called softy which I have used (on Leon's recommendation).
          One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
          In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Fuma
            Adept
            • May 2007

Alas, Softy pops up an error message saying it is incompatible with my operating system (Win7 64) and changing compatibility options through file properties doesn't work either.

Comment

• Mikko Lehtinen
              Veteran
              • Sep 2010

FontForge is an excellent font editing program.

I once needed to set old style figures as default in an OpenType font, and FontForge was perfect for the job.
              Last edited by Mikko Lehtinen; February 2, 2012, 23:03.

Comment

• nppangband
                NPPAngband Maintainer
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by camlost
                I've had similar thoughts, but I can't for the life of me find an editor that handles S fonts, at least in a way I can figure out. I wish Leon had left some notes about the fonts...
                Leon spearheaded the project, but 4 of us worked on it. It was actually Diego Gonzalez who made most of the fonts, and I am almost positive he did it in softy. I thought all of the xchar stuff was long gone, but a couple weeks ago I was clearing out an old computer before I wiped the hard drive and installed ubuntu, and I came across the old patch and Leon's notes. I don't know if it will answer your questions or not, but I do have that patch on an external hard drive. I can dig it out and read how specific he got.

(and yes, that middle statement is an ominous foreshadowing of me posting lots of questions about Angband and how it works in a linux enviroment. I am going to start working on NPP in linux)
                NPPAngband current home page: http://nppangband.bitshepherd.net/
                Source code repository:
                https://github.com/nppangband/NPPAngband_QT
                Downloads:
                https://app.box.com/s/1x7k65ghsmc31usmj329pb8415n1ux57

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎