X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Taqq
    Rookie
    • Dec 2007

(Un, G, FA, etc) High ASCII walls?

First post, longtime player of many variants.

I do not like ###### for walls.
    1. Why do many updates to my previous faves go back to that? I thought I remember playing Un with solid block walls and not "#" for walls.

2. How do I get variants (WINDOWS) to display solid block walls again?

TIA
    Taqq
  • David Stone
    Rookie
    • Jul 2007

And alternatively for those of us who -like- normal ASCII stuff, is there any way to do the opposite? I like Ironband, but even in non-graphics mode it uses some high ascii things, and it annoys me.

Comment

• pav
      Administrator
      • Apr 2007

Go to Interact with visuals screen and change the characters for walls. Walls are features. Then, save (dump) the preferences, otherwise the changes will be lost when you exit the game.
      See the elves and everything! http://angband.oook.cz

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Taqq
        1. Why do many updates to my previous faves go back to that? I thought I remember playing Un with solid block walls and not "#" for walls.

The latest FA has done this because the usual block character does noty appear in Vista. For FA, go to the lib\font folder and rename font-win.prfx to font-win.prf. This should fix your problem (or make it worse if you're using Vista). For other variants, you could try using the FA font-win.prf file; how well this will work depends on the particular variant's prf file handling method.
        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Taqq
          Rookie
          • Dec 2007

Thanks, all. I'll give it a try.

Comment

• andrewdoull
            Unangband maintainer
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Taqq
            First post, longtime player of many variants.

TIA
            Taqq
            As mentioned below the wall character is not available in Vista. However, Unangband is in the process of transitioning over to the extended character set of NPPAngband, Sangband etc. Once complete, this will resolve the issue (At least for Un)

Andrew
            The Roflwtfzomgbbq Quylthulg summons L33t Paladins -more-
            In UnAngband, the level dives you.
            ASCII Dreams: http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com
            Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com

Comment

• Taqq
              Rookie
              • Dec 2007

Again, thanks, Andrew. I was just about to ask about Un, after noticing, to my dismay, that there are 901 features in the Visuals menu. I have not the will nor the time to search for all the walls, foo-covered walls, and assorted other wall-like features.

I really want to play Un, too, but a screen full of #'s is painful to the eyes!

Looking forward to the next release with great anticipation.

I was beginning to think that this was going to be a trend...I thought, what's next? Is the next release of Fury going to go retro on me too?

:bangs head against wall (which, interestingly enough, looks like a pound sign. aaargh!)

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎