X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • will_asher
    DaJAngband Maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Semi-Variant DaJAngband Announcement

My semi-variant is ready to download. I'm calling it DaJAngband, cause DAJ is my initials. I won't call it a variant, just a semi-variant.

Download here (for Windows):
    Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Here's a download for just the edit directory in a zip file:
    Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

(can't post on the ladder if you just use the edit directory files)

code tweaks:
    monsters represented by "i" no longer appear in jelly pits (because they aren't icky things).
    monsters represented by "x" appear in troll pits as well as "T" (I made gargoyles closely related to trolls)
    monsters represented by "&" appear in demon pits as well as "U" (I have two symbols for major demons)
    monster spell S_HI_DEMON summons both &'s and U's
    replaced messages for summoning an angel with messages for summoning an ape.
    Changed VERSION_NAME and VERSION_STRING in defines.h so it can have a separate part of the ladder.
    All other code is the same as vanilla. I might make some more tweaks later if I figure out how.

Besides major changes to the monster list, there is:
    My "late see invisible" idea: temporary SI is more common, permanent SI is much rarer until the mid 40s. (it is even taken away from High Elves). Less monsters are invisible. (Quylthulgs are no longer invisible) Most races also start with less infravision (except the Dunadan now has 1 infravision), and there is a new ego or two which gives infravision.
    Five new classes, and five new races (two of the races are kindof just unbalanced novelty races).
    Combined resistance rings into 3 instead of 6. sustain brawn (STR&CON), sustain intellect (INT&WIS), and sustain sneakiness (DEX&CHA) (I'm open to a better name for the sustain sneakiness one).
    Stat potions start appearing earlier but are noticably less common.
    A couple artifacts removed, and a couple new artifacts. (nothing major there, execpt I took SI away from a couple artifacts.)

Pav, can I have a place on the ladder (and maybe a link on the downloads page) for it?
    Do you need this to make a section on the ladder for it?
    #define VERSION_NAME "DaJAngband"
    #define VERSION_STRING "a semi-variant based on Vanilla Angband 3.0.9"

um.. how do I make it so non-windows users can use it? Should I post the source? (It seems silly to post the source when I barely changed it.)

thanks

Here's the monster symbols, so you have an idea what you're attacking:
    a - ant or beetle
    b - bat
    c - centipede or similar bug
    d - dragon a - ant or beetle
    b - bat
    c - centipede or similar bug
    d - dragon
    e - eye/beholder
    f - feline
    g - golem
    h - humanoid
    i - imp-related minor demon or dark fairy
    j - jellies & slimes
    k - kobold
    l - lizards & reptiles
    m - mold or vossar
    n - naga
    o - orc
    p - human (person) (note: there are now some dungeon humans which are not represented by this symbol -just because there got to be too many monsters using the same symbol)
    q - quadruped
    r - rodent
    s - skeleton
    t - townspeople (and some dungeon people, notably, but not limited to, witches)
    u - minor demon (other than ones I consider to be imp-related)
    v - vortex
    w - worm or worm mass
    x - gargoyles
    y - fairies (mainly gnomes and sprites)
    z - zombies, mummies, and wights
    A - apes
    B - bird
    C - canine
    D - ancient dragon, drakes or great wyrms
    E - Ents and other tree-monsters
    F - dragonflies or other non-breeding flying insect
    G - ghost (or ghost-like, there are one or two which are not undead)
    H - hybrid
    I - flying insect (mostly breeders, but not all breeders)
    J - snake
    K - knights and select mystic warriors
    L - lich
    M - hydra (with one late exception)
    N - null (see the in-game description)
    O - ogre
    P - giants and titans
    Q - quylthulg (no longer invisible)
    R - frog or behemoth
    S - spider or related bug
    T - troll
    U - devil
    V - vampire
    W - wraith
    X - xorn or other minor elemental
    Y - unicorn or centaur
    Z - zephyr hound
    $ - creeping coins
    , - mushroom patch
    & - major demon
    % - elemental
    . - lurkers, trappers, and dust bunnies

notes about other changes & stuff are in the DaJAngband Readme file
    Will_Asher
    aka LibraryAdventurer

My old variant DaJAngband:
    http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)
  • Daven_26d1
    Adept
    • Jun 2007

Nice to see you've gotten somewhere with you ideas. I take it you got your compiling issues ironed out?

Have you tested all your tweaks?

Something I suggested in your original thread, which you may still want to look into, is existing souce-code patches; there are many floating around the internet that you might like the look of, although V and other variants have already incorporated many of them into the standard codebase.

You may not take a shine to any of them, but it can't hurt to look - applying (or even removing!) these would give you access to features that would be beyond your present ability to modify the source.

I don't know offhand where there is a good repository for this sort of thing, sadly, but google should help you here.

BTW, I'd always assumed your name actually was Will Asher! Now I can't help reading it as a phonetic joke - "We'll lash yer!"

EDIT - yes, you should post the source; in fact when V goes GPL (is this still happening?) you'll be required to if you want to use the next version as a base.
    You sold a Broken Sword (1d2) (-2,-4) {average} (j) for 1 gold.
    The shopkeeper howls in agony!
    You say "Dude, the clue is in the name...".

Comment

• will_asher
      DaJAngband Maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Daven_26d1
      Nice to see you've gotten somewhere with you ideas. I take it you got your compiling issues ironed out?
      Have you tested all your tweaks?.
      yes and yes.

Something I suggested in your original thread, which you may still want to look into, is existing souce-code patches; there are many floating around the internet that you might like the look of, although V and other variants have already incorporated many of them into the standard codebase.
      You may not take a shine to any of them, but it can't hurt to look - applying (or even removing!) these would give you access to features that would be beyond your present ability to modify the source.
      I don't know offhand where there is a good repository for this sort of thing, sadly, but google should help you here. .
      I do plan to look up some patches but I wanted to get it out for the first time asap. I wonder if there's a patch that incorperates the NPP quiver..
      I also still need to finish putting in the monster descriptions, but a lot of them are there.

BTW, I'd always assumed your name actually was Will Asher! Now I can't help reading it as a phonetic joke - "We'll lash yer!" .
      hehe, it's not meant that way

EDIT - yes, you should post the source; in fact when V goes GPL (is this still happening?) you'll be required to if you want to use the next version as a base.
      good to know before it happens, here's the source:
      Will_Asher
      aka LibraryAdventurer

http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)

Comment

• Daven_26d1
        Adept
        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by will_asher
        I wonder if there's a patch that incorperates the NPP quiver..
        Can't seem to google one up. The problem lies in the fact that some people write patches, and variants adopt them. When variants are written, its uncommon for their changes to get released as individual patches.

You could always have a go at finding the relevant code in NPP...

But I'd work on your monster descripts first. No plans to replace the kobolds with equivalent goblins then?

EDIT - Also, it seems that the quiver will be introduced to V in its next version, in one form or another.
        Last edited by Daven_26d1; December 3, 2007, 01:48.
        You sold a Broken Sword (1d2) (-2,-4) {average} (j) for 1 gold.
        The shopkeeper howls in agony!
        You say "Dude, the clue is in the name...".

Comment

• will_asher
          DaJAngband Maintainer
          • Apr 2007

But I'd work on your monster descripts first. No plans to replace the kobolds with equivalent goblins then?
          Nope, I have no problems with kobolds, and I already replaced snagas with goblins. Besides, kobold paladin is one of my favorite classes and goblin paladin just doesn't sound like it would work as well..
          According to the Guide to Middle Earth book, "snaga" was the name which the uruks gave to any other orcs because they looked down on other orcs, so "snaga" doesn't refer to a type of orc, just any orcs that aren't uruks.

EDIT - Also, it seems that the quiver will be introduced to V in its next version, in one form or another.
          Cool. I like vanilla, and don't really have much that I want to change with the code.
          Will_Asher
          aka LibraryAdventurer

Comment

• otenko
            Rookie
            • Nov 2007

Problem Found . . . And Fixed!

First Post!

Not to be negative, but the link for the windows zip file just returns an error page from geocities. However, I found the file by manually typing in the URL. I'll be trying the game (over the next aeon or so). Thanks!

Comment

• will_asher
              DaJAngband Maintainer
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by otenko
              First Post!

Not to be negative, but the link for the windows zip file just returns an error page from geocities. However, I found the file by manually typing in the URL. I'll be trying the game (over the next aeon or so). Thanks!

Geocities probably has a download limit, so the link might work if you just try again another day. Did anyone else find this problem (or did anyone download it and have it work fine for them)?
              thanks for playing
              Will_Asher
              aka LibraryAdventurer

Comment

• will_asher
                DaJAngband Maintainer
                • Apr 2007

DaJAngband now has a page on my website at

There have been a few slight modifications to the txt files since the first announcement. Tweaking a couple monsters and making a certain new early artifact a little less powerful.

BTW, if anyone could take the source and compile it for other platforms that would be really cool.
                Will_Asher
                aka LibraryAdventurer

Comment

• will_asher
                  DaJAngband Maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

DaJAngband version 1.0.02

I've compiled DaJAngband together with Eddie Grove's patch along with a couple more .txt file and code tweaks to make DaJAngband version 1.0.02.
                  Download from the DaJAngband page here:

Here's the direct link:

This download includes both the source and the windows executable which use the same lib directory. Hope it's okay to do that. (If anyone objects I'll stop zipping it that way.)

note: Eddie G's patch is still in it's alpha version, once he releases the newer version I'll update DaJAngband with it.

changes since original release:

.txt file tweaks:
                  knights now can get the call light and detect traps prayers but not until clvl 18 and 22 (respectively), detect evil now costs 4 mana for them instead of 5. I did this to make the 1st prayerbook a little more worth carrying around for the knight.
                  singing happy drunks and squint-eyed rogues no longer drop anything (unless the rogue stole something from you, of course). battle-scarred veterans and village witches now drop only items. There is a new and very rare town monster that drops only gold, but unlike the drunk, the new town monster can attack for damage. (Actually, I think I made the drunk do 1d1 damage, but the new one does more than that).
                  couple other very minor monster tweaks.

code tweaks:
                  One new weapon appears in the weapon store, and the three new blunt weapons now appear in the temple. Randarts can now be made from new armor and weapons.
                  Torches that you start with never have less then 2000 turns of light (I didn't like starting with torches with only 1500 turns of light).

major changes that come with Eddie Grove's patch:
                  (These are only the more major changes copied from his announcement, see his annoucement or the patch-changes.txt file for a list of everything his patch does)
                  * Change !selfKnowledge to *IDENTIFY all items wielded
                  * Point-based character generation equivalent to best available from autoroller (and always use point-based)
                  * New command to restock a store for the cost of all items for sale
                  * Show charges on aware wands and staves without identify
                  * Give free identify on non-jewelry that pseudos as average
                  * Show raw numbers rather than ratings on 'C' page
                  * Pseudo of artifact identifies it
                  * Stolen gold is carried by thief
                  ** Disallow selling items to stores (probably the biggest change -but don't worry, there is no lack of gold because he also increased gold drops in the dungeon)
                  * Allow squelching of unaware flavors
                  * Notice obvious effects when wielding unidentified objects
                  * New pseudo level "Splendid" meaning obvious bonuses when wielded (replaces special pseudo and partially replaces excellent)
                  * Allow pseudo on jewelry
                  Will_Asher
                  aka LibraryAdventurer

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎