• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • uberbacon
    Rookie
    • Jun 2008

Z 2.2.8 to Z+

Hi

I have played Z 2.2.8 now and then during the past 10 years. Today my cl30 cw golem found an armageddon tome, so I look most forward to grinding my way to the heavy spells and blast through the 49 random quests as well as the fixed ones. I already have most resistances, reflection a bit speed and fair damage (though using rings of resist fire and confusion...)

However, I remember how many nice things disappeared as Z was further developed (hence me staying at 2.2.8). I just recently took up the game again and read about Z+. Naturally, I am very curious how my old Z and Z+ differ!

Surely I will try and see for myself, but it would be nice to hear about the major and minor changes.
  • Mangojuice
    Z+Angband Maintainer
    • Jun 2008

Originally posted by uberbacon
    Hi
    However, I remember how many nice things disappeared as Z was further developed (hence me staying at 2.2.8). I just recently took up the game again and read about Z+. Naturally, I am very curious how my old Z and Z+ differ!
    A good place to start is here: http://sites.google.com/site/mangojuice75/home2
    -----------------------------------------
    Z+Angband: A Zangband evolution
    http://tinyurl.com/5pq2bd

Comment

• ekolis
      Knight
      • Apr 2007

Hmm, been a while since any development on Z+... any plans, Mangojuice?
      You read the scroll labeled NOBIMUS UPSCOTI...
      You are surrounded by a stasis field!
      The tengu tries to teleport, but fails!

Comment

• Mangojuice
        Z+Angband Maintainer
        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by ekolis
        Hmm, been a while since any development on Z+... any plans, Mangojuice?
        Sadly, no. There are two main impediments to it... well, three really. First, I don't have time anymore. I started a new job about a year ago and it keeps me more occupied than I used to be. Second, the bugs relating to Windows Vista pissed me off. They were affecting a number of players and I didn't have the ability to even try to debug them without a Vista machine. And third, what always made me excited about the project was the gameplay changes and frankly I've implemented most of them to my satisfaction. I might be interested in tweaking the magic schools a bit but I don't have a ton of feedback to go on.

My feeling is, if I were to do something it would be to start from scratch in Java, because that would at least solve my cross-platform issues. But it's daunting and not the kind of change I was ever interested in.

Comment

• shawnosullivan
          Apprentice
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Mangojuice
          Sadly, no. There are two main impediments to it... well, three really. First, I don't have time anymore. I started a new job about a year ago and it keeps me more occupied than I used to be. Second, the bugs relating to Windows Vista pissed me off. They were affecting a number of players and I didn't have the ability to even try to debug them without a Vista machine. And third, what always made me excited about the project was the gameplay changes and frankly I've implemented most of them to my satisfaction. I might be interested in tweaking the magic schools a bit but I don't have a ton of feedback to go on.

My feeling is, if I were to do something it would be to start from scratch in Java, because that would at least solve my cross-platform issues. But it's daunting and not the kind of change I was ever interested in.

Z+ was one of my fav variants in the last several years. would have been nice to see it develop more. alot of promising ideas there.

Comment

• Mangojuice
            Z+Angband Maintainer
            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by shawnosullivan

Z+ was one of my fav variants in the last several years. would have been nice to see it develop more. alot of promising ideas there.
            I ran out of new directions. Not that I have time but where should it have gone?

Comment

• shawnosullivan
              Apprentice
              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Mangojuice
              I ran out of new directions. Not that I have time but where should it have gone?
              it's been a few years since i played Z+, but it felt very exciting for a while, and it seemed like it was progressing. mostly just more bug fixes and overall game balance would have been nice. some of the ideas were really interesting but didn't get fleshed out to their full potential, like the randomized uniques. and incorporating some of the recent ideas from V (id by use) or FA (resistances as %, new curse system) could have resulted in some really interesting new roguelike territory.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎