X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • buzzkill
    Prophet
    • May 2008

Originally posted by Pete Mack
    Browsing spellbooks while blind is not a bug. Making this otherwise is a mistake. The basic UI should always reflect what you know, independent of current state. (This is the same logic as the removal of the old version of "amnesia", which was entirely a UI nuisance effect.)
    I'll agree with you, because I really don't care either way, but this situation was slightly more complicated. Just like the chest (from my previous post), it was dropped while I was blind. I browsed it (while it lie on the floor) just to see if it was useful to me or not. It seemed wrong that I was able to do so.
    www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
    My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Derakon
      Prophet
      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by buzzkill
      I'll agree with you, because I really don't care either way, but this situation was slightly more complicated. Just like the chest (from my previous post), it was dropped while I was blind. I browsed it (while it lie on the floor) just to see if it was useful to me or not. It seemed wrong that I was able to do so.
      You blindly felt the book's title (which was embossed on the cover), and from that were able to remember what your ol' grandmum (a famous adventurer in her own right) told you about the various spellbooks. No problems here.

The chest thing does sound like a bug though.

Comment

• buzzkill
        Prophet
        • May 2008

Now scraping the bottom of the trivial (bug) barrel..

Irregular capitalization, inconsistent with the capitalization of other uniques
        Mauhur, the uruk (Uruk)
        Adunaphel The Quiet (the)
        Itangast, the fire drake (Fire Drake)
        black cat of Beruthiel (The Black Cat)

Also a lot of irregularities with comma use. Adunaphel as shown above (and many others) for example, no comma. Most other uniques do use commas.

Finally, Shelob has no surname/descriptor. Seems odd. Maybe it should be Shelob, Daughter of Ungoliant or something similar.
        www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
          Prophet
          • Apr 2007

Finally, Shelob has no surname/descriptor. Seems odd. Maybe it should be Shelob, Daughter of Ungoliant or something similar.
          Shelob, Guardian of Cirith Ungol ? Or Shelob, Terror of Cirith Ungol ?

Comment

• Nomad
            Knight
            • Sep 2010

Also a lot of irregularities with comma use. Adunaphel as shown above (and many others) for example, no comma. Most other uniques do use commas.
            I'm not brushed up enough on my Tolkien to say for sure, but I'd assume that "Adunaphel the Quiet" is an actual name/title, and that's why the lack of comma; it's not "Adunaphel (who, as a supplementary detail, happens to be quiet)", but "Adunaphel the Quiet" as the official full name. Like "Gandalf the Grey" doesn't have a comma, because it's being used as an actual name, rather than "Gandalf, that grey dude over there".

So, properly, if they're all going to have a descriptor, it should probably be "Adunaphel the Quiet, (some other title or detail)".

Comment

• Pete Mack
              Prophet
              • Apr 2007

Adunaphel the Quiet doesn't come from Tolkien; it comes from RPG convention. The only Black Rider named by Tolkien is the Witch King of Angmar. (Un uses 1st Black Rider, 2nd Black Rider, etc, but I find it confusing. After all, I always know what The Dog Lord of Dwar is likely to summon.)

Comment

• will_asher
                DaJAngband Maintainer
                • Apr 2007

I thought about removing the names of the lesser 8 nazgul, but I decided I liked the flavor even though it isn't canon. Anyway, I think Tolkien mentions Khamul's name at some point also.
                Will_Asher
                aka LibraryAdventurer

My old variant DaJAngband:
                http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                  Prophet
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by will_asher
                  I thought about removing the names of the lesser 8 nazgul, but I decided I liked the flavor even though it isn't canon. Anyway, I think Tolkien mentions Khamul's name at some point also.
                  IIRC that is not in Silmarillion, The Hobbit or LoTR. Might be in some of the "Lost tales" or something like that.

I would like to see a possibility to get all of them together as a group. FRIENDS -flag with monster type "Nazgul" defined or something.

Nazguls were not extremely powerful creatures on their own, it was only when they worked together they were something to be afraid of. Only one that had a bit more power was the Witch King, but even he was no match to Gandalf or Aragorn (or even Merry and definitely not Eowyn).

I'd put them all as 1500 - 2000' monsters, but as a group, not as individual monsters.

Comment

• Nick
                    Vanilla maintainer
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
                    IIRC that is not in Silmarillion, The Hobbit or LoTR. Might be in some of the "Lost tales" or something like that.
                    Unfinished Tales, IIRC.
                    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• buzzkill
                      Prophet
                      • May 2008

Code:
                      g) The partial plate armour of Mirthor (-3) [23,+18] (+6)
                         It increases your stealth and speed by 6.  It provides resistance to 
                         electricity, cold, and life draining.  It activates for phase door
                         about every 23927 hours.  It cannot be harmed by the elements.
                      Almost 2 years to recharge. With a recharge time that long it should activate to 'kill Morgoth'.

Comment

• will_asher
                        DaJAngband Maintainer
                        • Apr 2007

Code:
                        Almost 2 years to recharge. With a recharge time that long it should activate to 'kill Morgoth'.
                        Yeah.. I'll try to find out why that's happening, but I'm not spending that much time on DaJAngband these days.
                        +6 stealth and speed is pretty nice anyway.. I'm pretty sure you have enough stealth to nullify aggravation if you wield something with aggravate (it would still cause a significant stealth penalty though).
                        Last edited by will_asher; September 16, 2010, 01:38.
                        Will_Asher
                        aka LibraryAdventurer

http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)

Comment

• buzzkill
                          Prophet
                          • May 2008

Directly (1 square) to the east of me is a 'phantom door'. The game insists that it's there but I can't see it, move through it, open it, or close it ("there's nothing there"). It's easy enough to avoid, but that's not really the point. There was an archlich and a black reaper casting spells (at me) in the vicinity. I've never had this happen before. Save file attached.

EDIT: Save and reload seems to have solved the problem.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• will_asher
                            DaJAngband Maintainer
                            • Apr 2007

Directly (1 square) to the east of me is a 'phantom door'. The game insists that it's there but I can't see it, move through it, open it, or close it ("there's nothing there"). It's easy enough to avoid, but that's not really the point. There was an archlich and a black reaper casting spells (at me) in the vicinity. I've never had this happen before. Save file attached.

EDIT: Save and reload seems to have solved the problem.
                            very strange. That's going to be hard to track down if it dissapears when you save and reload...
                            Will_Asher
                            aka LibraryAdventurer

Comment

• Nick
                              Vanilla maintainer
                              • Apr 2007

That looks to me like a drawing problem - there is no actual door, but for some reason the graphic hasn't been wiped.
                              One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                              In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• will_asher
                                DaJAngband Maintainer
                                • Apr 2007

Code:
                                I'm just now looking at this bug to fix it and it's just a bug in the display of the recharge time and the actual recharge time should be very short.
                                (because activations on randarts aren't random in DaJAngband, so it'd be the same recharge time as the standart which the randart is based on. There are two standarts that activate for phase door and both have short recharge times.)
                                Did you ever activate this artifact?
                                Last edited by will_asher; October 8, 2010, 07:49.
                                Will_Asher
                                aka LibraryAdventurer

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎