X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Therem Harth
    Knight
    • Jan 2008

Hellband: the Monty Haul variant?

No slight intended of course, and I personally like the Inferno stuff better than Tolkien material... It's just that the drops I'm getting are ridiculous. Maybe it has something to do with autoscum being enabled (by default BTW), but some of the uniques IMO drop way way too many {special} items - some drop like 9 items including 3 artifacts. Seeing as most of them cast no spells, this is a bit much IMO.

Now sure, I did disable permadeath for my current character (half-Ogre Mindcrafter born under Morui). But I haven't died at all since level 8 or thereabouts. Whereas the uniques have been dropping like flies, and I've had to recall to town every few levels to ID and sell stuff. Lately - and keep in mind this character is plvl 22 - I've taken to destroying everything that isn't {special}, except for an Angelic sword (which I assume is like a Holy Avenger) and the trusty Vampiric flail that my Greater Munchkin instincts tell me not to abandon yet.

(Vampiric, BTW, is a little bit unbalanced without any negative effects. Maybe make it reduce max HP like in ToME?)

So yeah... It's kind of fun, in a ridiculous munchkin way. In my mind anyway. But I think the general consensus from *banders would be against huge artifact drops, especially seeing as the Monty Haulness of it ruins the nice dark atmosphere.

The other possibility that's occured to me, of course, is that things are going to get really really hard once I get into Dis... I guess I'll have to wait and see. Still, I can't help but think that tuning down drops a bit, especially from non-spellcasting uniques, would be a Good Idea.
  • Tatami
    Apprentice
    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Therem Harth
    The other possibility that's occured to me, of course, is that things are going to get really really hard once I get into Dis....
    Ding! Ding! Ding! Tell him what he's won! Pits of Will o Wisps and Death Quasits!, mobs of summoning greater demons, and much much more all starting before level 30!

I love drops as they are. You will need everything you picked up. Its going to be a real fight all the way down. Hellband is definitely my favorite and is the first *band I ever won. Best of luck.

Comment

• Therem Harth
      Knight
      • Jan 2008

I had a long response, but I lost it, so all I'm going to say is... whoah.

Also, a word to the (un)wise: Pit Spiders are greater demons, not animals. If you try to mindwave a pack of them, you will die. Just sayin'.

Comment

• konijn_
        Hellband maintainer
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Therem Harth
        <Snip Hellband drops tons of loot, should it drop less, this feels awesome but also wrong..>
        Greetings,

I am very pleased you tried my variant, you seem to find exactly the balance I was shooting for. As others have noted ( and expressed better than I will ), yes you find tons of artefacts but you will need them. Once you get past Satan, the picnic is over and you will feel no longer over-powered.

I find in most roguelike games the first 15 dungeon levels mind-numbingly boring, and I think Hellband found a solution to that

The only thing I would still want to rebalance is to reduce the dungeon depth radically, compress the levels after Satan to maybe 15 levels, I've taken many approaches, but none of them 'feel good' during play.

T.
        * Are you ready for something else ? Hellband 0.8.8 is out! *

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡