X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slonk
    Rookie
    • Sep 2007

Anyone out there still play Ey?

Hullo, all! Long time lurker, first time poster.

Just looking about to see if anyone still plays EyAngband. Quite a few years ago, I tried it, liked it, and stuck with it. I really like the quest system, and the non- 18/* stat progression.

After coming to the (long overdue) realization that it has joined the ranks of the never-to-be-maintained variants, this forum led me to try FA. It seems quite interesting, though I'm getting used to the whole wilderness thing. Any advice specific to my newchosen variant would be appreciated. Specifically, what level should I aim for the dungeon bosses? Also, do player ghosts automatically generate 'special' feelings, or is that specific to artifacts?

I've been playing random chars, and my present guy (Dwarf Pally) just got Boots of Speed (+8) from a player ghost on the first Mountain level outside his hometown. I think I'll be nursing him along for a bit, especially as Lost Souls got his WIS down to 11, and there aren't any restore pots in town.
  • pav
    Administrator
    • Apr 2007

I still got Ey installed, but haven't touched it in years now. It's still a great variant, in my opinion.
    See the elves and everything! http://angband.oook.cz

Comment

• Psi
      Knight
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Slonk
      ...this forum led me to try FA. It seems quite interesting, though I'm getting used to the whole wilderness thing. Any advice specific to my newchosen variant would be appreciated.
      I've never played Ey so I'm not sure what you are used to - does Ey have V or O combat? If you are not used to O combat, then big damage dice are much more important than deadliness. Also make good use of the merchants to stock up on consumables.
      Specifically, what level should I aim for the dungeon bosses?
      A lot depends on your class, equipment and consumables. With an HE Assassin and the Mana Burn speciality I've taken Mim as low as CL22 - but usually I'd aim for CL25-30. Then Glaurung anywhere from CL35-40+ - without being too spoily it is about knowing what the minimum level of kit you need to face these guardians is and less about what level you happen to be.
      Also, do player ghosts automatically generate 'special' feelings, or is that specific to artifacts?
      I've not played with preserve off, so I've no idea regarding 'special' feelings.

Si

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Also, do player ghosts automatically generate 'special' feelings, or is that specific to artifacts?
        Yes, only artifacts automatically generate special feelings; player ghosts will just add to the level feeling.

I consider playing FA with preserve off, well, brave - I am planning to have preserve always on in the next version (as part of removing all birth options).

I've been playing random chars, and my present guy (Dwarf Pally) just got Boots of Speed (+8) from a player ghost on the first Mountain level outside his hometown.
        You know you're going to die horribly now

In case you hadn't noticed, too - dwarves generally have + to INT and - to WIS in FA, and elves tend to be the opposite.
        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• takkaria
          Veteran
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Nick
          I consider playing FA with preserve off, well, brave - I am planning to have preserve always on in the next version (as part of removing all birth options).
          No birth options? Sounds like a dream to me.
          takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• Slonk
            Rookie
            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Nick
            Yes, only artifacts automatically generate special feelings; player ghosts will just add to the level feeling.

You know you're going to die horribly now

In case you hadn't noticed, too - dwarves generally have + to INT and - to WIS in FA, and elves tend to be the opposite.
            Through further experimentation, i have determined that player ghosts will indeed generated special feelings on their own. This is similar to Ey, where out of depth pits and vaults can also trigger special feelings w/o artifacts.

<shrug> Brave = ignorant in this case. I've never played with preserve on, even back in my V days in the mid-late 90's.

Why thank you very much! Four consecutive fizzes on the tele staff got me splattered. I never even made it to the dungeon. <--- forum n00b. Not quite sure how to split quotes.

Thanks for the tips, I'll just keep plugging along.

In response to the question about Ey combat, I'm guessing its more like O (never having played O). There are no damage enchants. Damage is strictly dice, sides, and brands. The base weapon damage is also quite a bit different in Ey than FA i've noticed.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎