X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sideways
    Knight
    • Nov 2008

FAangband nightly crashes on game resumption

Was playing a dark-elf druid thrall in the nightly, got my character out of Anfauglith and into town (where everything was closed) and on to Amon Rudh, stopped there for the night, tried to resume play, game crashes. Error message just says savefile is broken, without specifying.
    Attached Files
    The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.
  • Sideways
    Knight
    • Nov 2008

Found another bug that may or may not be related. Tried playing thrall on alt account, saved immediately on game start to make sure saving at least worked in principle, resumed game, Anfauglith 58 was populated with mean-looking mercenaries and pitiful-looking beggars.
    (Not sure if this was save-related - I don't think I detected before saving, so they might have been there all along.)

Edit: 2nd bug seems reproducible - every fresh new account with no FAangband history == town monsters on Anfauglith 58.
    Last edited by Sideways; June 2, 2024, 15:39.

Comment

• Sideways
      Knight
      • Nov 2008

Less serious complaint - you can (auto)pick things up while polymorphed, so for consistency (and quality of life) you should be able to drop and squelch things while polymorphed. As it is, picking up something heavy becomes a trap that forces you to unpoly.

Comment

• backwardsEric
        Knight
        • Aug 2019

Originally posted by Sideways
        Was playing a dark-elf druid thrall in the nightly, got my character out of Anfauglith and into town (where everything was closed) and on to Amon Rudh, stopped there for the night, tried to resume play, game crashes. Error message just says savefile is broken, without specifying.
        Had you moved home to Menegroth while there? If so, it looks like the number of stores saved for that town will be one less than expected when reading the save back in. That would cause the load to fail while trying to read the last store (the General Store in Gondolin).

Comment

• Sideways
          Knight
          • Nov 2008

Yeah, I moved my home to Menegroth. (On a minor note, the game called it a "store" when I tried and failed to enter.)

Comment

• Nick
            Vanilla maintainer
            • Apr 2007

Eric has done fixes to these issues, and I have pressed the buttons which make the nightly version update
            One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
            In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• backwardsEric
              Knight
              • Aug 2019

I did not change anything about the interaction of pickup/autopickup and a shapechanged player. Besides Sideways' suggestion, could disable pickup and autopickup when shape changed. Either way, FAAngband 2's pickup implementation is the same as Vanilla's, so we may want to change Vanilla's behavior as well.

Comment

• Nick
                Vanilla maintainer
                • Apr 2007

Originally you couldn't pick up anything when shapechanged, but there were issues with eating. What is the exact situation now?
                One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Sideways
                  Knight
                  • Nov 2008

You can (auto)pick up; you can't drop; you can squelch, but it only gets removed from your inventory after unpoly (and even then not always immediately - maybe buggy?). Also there's weird messages for when you autopickup another of a device you already have while poly'd.

Comment

• backwardsEric
                    Knight
                    • Aug 2019

Commands and actions currently forbidden when shapechanged in Vanilla are (unless otherwise stated, trying to do these prompts the player for returning to his or her normal shape):
                    1. Inscribing and uninscribing an item
                    2. Autoinscription of items (no prompt because it happens in the background)
                    3. Taking off an item
                    4. Wielding an item
                    5. Dropping an item
                    6. Drinking a potion, reading a scroll, using a staff, aiming a wand, zapping a rod, activating and equipped item, and the catch-all "using" an item
                    7. Refilling a lamp
                    8. Casting or learning a spell
                    9. Firing ammunition or throwing an item
                    10. Entering a store other than the home (no prompt)
                    cmd_get_item() (used by most commands except pickup/autopickup that need an item) limits selections to items on the floor when shapechanged. Shield bashing when shapechanged can happen (seems like a bug), but that's more of an issue in FAAngband than in Vanilla (where the only shapechange available to warriors, paladins, and blackguards is by using a potion of surprise).

Pickup/autopickup was forbidden for shapechanged players with a change in January of 2018 and that was reverted in March of 2019 prior to the release of 4.2.0.

Comment

• Sideways
                      Knight
                      • Nov 2008

Had game crash on level generation at Angband 65. Don't know why exactly, something random.

Comment

• Sideways
                        Knight
                        • Nov 2008

Can confirm saving after moving to Menegroth no longer crashes, though (and the shops in Menegroth are now open).

Comment

• Sideways
                          Knight
                          • Nov 2008

Enchantress/cold drake showed with a weird hybrid glyph in the monster subwindow for 1 turn after shapechanging, is that intended?

Comment

• Sideways
                            Knight
                            • Nov 2008

For some reason, when I viewed the scores at the end after winning, the eighth-place entry was highlighted even though it wasn't mine.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎