X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

FAangband repository

There is now a Bazaar repository for FAangband at Launchpad. For those who haven't a clue about Bazaar, it can be downloaded for Windows, OS X, linux etc from here, and behaves rather like (and is largely compatible with) svn.

Note that the repository version (while still technically 1.0.2) is now dual licensed (Angband license and GPLv2) like Vanilla.

I still haven't entirely got the hang of this version control thing, so don't be surprised if weird stuff happens occasionally.
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
  • Magnate
    Angband Devteam member
    • May 2007

Out of interest, what made you choose bazaar over svn, git, hg or any of the others?
    "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Magnate
      Out of interest, what made you choose bazaar over svn, git, hg or any of the others?
      Looked for places to put it, and Launchpad seemed to have everything I might want (lots of green), and bazaar is the main thing there. Plus I'm currently a(n?) Ubuntu user, so that seemed to fit. And from what I could see, none of the differences between the bazaar and svn, git, etc seemed very important. It could well be a disastrous error, but hey.

Comment

• Magnate
        Angband Devteam member
        • May 2007

Originally posted by Nick
        Looked for places to put it, and Launchpad seemed to have everything I might want (lots of green), and bazaar is the main thing there. Plus I'm currently a(n?) Ubuntu user, so that seemed to fit. And from what I could see, none of the differences between the bazaar and svn, git, etc seemed very important. It could well be a disastrous error, but hey.
        I don't know there's any such thing as a disastrous error - I was just wondering if it was significantly different from the SCM systems I know. I have a hard enough time getting my head around one or two, but some people seem to be able to use them all with ease.
        "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Nick
          Vanilla maintainer
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Magnate
          I don't know there's any such thing as a disastrous error - I was just wondering if it was significantly different from the SCM systems I know. I have a hard enough time getting my head around one or two, but some people seem to be able to use them all with ease.
          I am not one of those people. I know enough svn to be able to do basic patches for V, and I'm taking the optimistic view that if I pretend to be a real developer for long enough I'll end up being one. My understanding is that svn's philosophy is to have one central repository, git's is to have no central repository, and bazaar is somewhere in between - but having said that, you would probably only really notice significant differences on a big project. So I don't think it really matters for FA - it's hardly the linux kernel. And I'm still going to be regarding the source on my dev machine as the canonical version (no pun intended), the main difference will be that there will be more frequent public updates. And I may even at some point be sufficiently organised to get into the whole bug-tracking, milestone thing.

Comment

• takkaria
            Veteran
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Nick
            I am not one of those people. I know enough svn to be able to do basic patches for V, and I'm taking the optimistic view that if I pretend to be a real developer for long enough I'll end up being one.
            Pretty much how it works.
            takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡