X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Madoka
    Apprentice
    • Jul 2007

Hengband and Question on Projectiles

I had played Angband back in 2003 and only recently looked into it's latest develoment. I think I was playing 2.9.x. After looking at the variants list, I decided to give a few of them a try (Sengband, Zangband, even Animeband).

So far, I have quite impressed with Hengband even though the last release was in 2004. The long list of data under the "~" key is quite impressive; I don't remember such a detailed list of information before in Angband. The shear number of classes, races, personalities you can play as is just amazing. And the addidtion of the "world and wilderness" is a nice change to the little isolated town in Angband with drunks but no women.

So far I am still messing around Yeek's Cave and haven't left the local area. Still, so far, it is an excellent game. It seems harder than V but then maybe I'm just rusty. There also seems to be more $ in the walls. Maybe that's just me.

I was surprised to find Farmer Maggot's dogs in Yeek's cave as I hadn't seen Farmer Maggot in town. Just ran into Smeagol....

Ok, I had a question on projectiles. Plain arrows have a (5/5) at the end of their description, and I just saw some ego arrows with a (18/22). What does that mean? I looked in the guides in Hangband but it didn't mention that. I searched online and haven't found the answer.
  • Matthias
    Adept
    • Apr 2007

You are getting 1.2 shots/turn with your current shooter (see character screen). So those arrows give 18 damage per arrow and 22 per turn.

Are you playing Heng 1.6 or 1.7. I think 1.7 is newer than 2004. There never was an official release, but it is available. There is also Entroband, which is basicly Heng 1.7 with minor changes including one mad new unique monster

Comment

• Madoka
      Apprentice
      • Jul 2007

Thank you very much! I had noticed that information (1.2 shots/round) in the character screen but hadn't extrapolated it to that. Last night I found a bow with some plusses, and my ordinary arrows got better, so I figured it had to be some damage calcuation. The ego arrows were at the black market.

I am playing 1.6.2. I'll search around for 1.7. I'll also check out Entroband.

Thanks again.

Edit: I can't seem to find a win compile of Hengband 1.7 anywhere. Also the links to Entroband on oook are dead. So are the links to Entroband in the posts I've seen on the net.
      Last edited by Madoka; August 6, 2007, 21:32.

Comment

• ekolis
        Knight
        • Apr 2007

Entroband was recently discontinued and the site was taken down; check the news archives at oook for more details, though it still seems rather mysterious to me. I don't happen to have it installed right now, but maybe someone else does and could send it to you?
        You read the scroll labeled NOBIMUS UPSCOTI...
        You are surrounded by a stasis field!
        The tengu tries to teleport, but fails!

Comment

• Madoka
          Apprentice
          • Jul 2007

Oh, man, so I did find a win compile of Hengband 1.7.0, but it's in Japanese.

Doh!

Comment

• Satyr
            Scout
            • Apr 2007

Seems I have a copy of Entroband 1.7.1 (windows-zip) gathering dust on my machine. Just let me know where to send it.

Comment

• Satyr
              Scout
              • Apr 2007

I put a copy of the entroband windows zip online at rapidshare:

It should be available there for at least 90 days.

Comment

• Madoka
                Apprentice
                • Jul 2007

Thank you very much for the file! Hopefully others looking for Entroband will be able to get it while it's there.

Comment

• andrewdoull
                  Unangband maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Satyr
                  I put a copy of the entroband windows zip online at rapidshare:

It should be available there for at least 90 days.
                  More importantly, does anyone have the Entroband 1.7.1 source. I did, but it was on one of my laptops that was stolen.

I'd very much appreciate a copy of the source files if anyone has it.
                  The Roflwtfzomgbbq Quylthulg summons L33t Paladins -more-
                  In UnAngband, the level dives you.
                  ASCII Dreams: http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com
                  Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com

Comment

• Madoka
                    Apprentice
                    • Jul 2007

Entroband Questions

I was running around some dungeon when I noticed that the Level Depth Indicator in the lower right hand corner was yellow. Later, it was a normal white again. What was it trying to tell me? If anything?

Hengband 1.6.2 has an autoscummer, but Entro does not (well, it has no option to turn one on). Is it on all the time? Or is Entro using the Fang dungeon code as I remember some release notes on Fang that said that the new level generating algorithm produced more interesting levels without the need of an autoscummer.

Thanks.

Comment

• AnonymousHero
                      Veteran
                      • Jun 2007

I've put up the source for Entroband 1.7.1 here:

Comment

• andrewdoull
                        Unangband maintainer
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by AnonymousHero
                        I've put up the source for Entroband 1.7.1 here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/49696485...1-src.zip.html
                        You're my anonymous hero!

Anyone want to write a PAD file for Entroband and submit it using an PAD submitter (see my blog for details)? That'll ensure that it gets preserved for ever and a day...
                        The Roflwtfzomgbbq Quylthulg summons L33t Paladins -more-
                        In UnAngband, the level dives you.
                        ASCII Dreams: http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com
                        Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com

Comment

• Matthias
                          Adept
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Madoka
                          I was running around some dungeon when I noticed that the Level Depth Indicator in the lower right hand corner was yellow. Later, it was a normal white again. What was it trying to tell me? If anything?
                          The color represents the level feeling. Harder(better) levels are orange red violet etc. In Heng level feeling changes over time, so when an Artifact drops and you miss it the feeling will after a while change to special, or if you clear that vault the feeling will get reduced to a normal one.

No idea on the autoscummer, but there is enough to do one most levels.

Comment

• Madoka
                            Apprentice
                            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Matthias
                            The color represents the level feeling. Harder(better) levels are orange red violet etc. In Heng level feeling changes over time, so when an Artifact drops and you miss it the feeling will after a while change to special, or if you clear that vault the feeling will get reduced to a normal one.

No idea on the autoscummer, but there is enough to do one most levels.
                            Thanks! I figured it didn't color for no reason at all. I quite like the features of Heng/Entroband.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎