X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andrewdoull
    Unangband maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by PaulBlay
    I'm guessing 'ANIMAL' means SLAY_ANIMAL in unangband.
    Nope. It means you're an animal. What that means is left for you to discover...

Andrew
    The Roflwtfzomgbbq Quylthulg summons L33t Paladins -more-
    In UnAngband, the level dives you.
    ASCII Dreams: http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com
    Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com

Comment

• buzzkill
      Prophet
      • May 2008

Assuming that most traps are designed for humanoid type prey, it fits logically that non-humanoids may not trigger them, or at least not as reliably, and in some cases could spring the trap, which could be said, effectively disarms it, while the triggering animal suffers no consequences.

I'm also on board with 'one-and-done' for traps. Make them more powerful if you must, more accurate, more life threatening (this would actually make DT useful below DL30), but make it so that once it's triggered, it's also disarmed. Maybe failed disarming could have a harsher consequence, like...

Code:
      You fail to disarm the trap.
      The trap explodes. You are hit by many darts.
      You feel weaker.
      You feel weaker.
      You feel less smart.
      You feel uglier.
      It would be a deterrent for characters with little or no disarming skills from attempting disarming, and thus embracing detection and avoidance (as it should be). I could go on... but I'm late for work.
      www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
      My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Obsilium
        Rookie
        • Apr 2007

I think the down staircase in Bonfire Glade doesn't work (the place in the old forest). I have tried going through it on two different computers and the game stops working.

Comment

• kaypy
          Swordsman
          • May 2009

The fix in revision 2516 doesnt seem to have worked- I'm still seeing multiple copies of Sauron running around...

Comment

• andrewdoull
            Unangband maintainer
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by kaypy
            The fix in revision 2516 doesnt seem to have worked- I'm still seeing multiple copies of Sauron running around...
            I suspected it might - I guess I'm going to have to do some kind of legitimate fix as opposed to hacks of the highest order.

Andrew

Comment

• Arralen
              Swordsman
              • May 2007

Questions ...

"Ring of Flames" and "Gauntlets of Poison" - (I)nspecting them says they do "x3 damage from fire/poison" .. looks like this at least works for the gauntlets when a weapon is wielded, as I get monster recall messages about poison resists. I'm not sure 'bout the fire, but maybe I haven't hit a fire resistant monster up to now. Do those items work for unarmed combat (now), too?

Rods of Lightning Beams seem to do very low damage now .. 2d6 actually .. while Rods of Light do 56 damage to targets vulnerable to light. Is this intended? edit: [ Bug #15731 ] Rod damage numbers are off ...
              Last edited by Arralen; May 22, 2009, 19:08.
              No, I don't have a clue 'bout C, and I'm not starting my own variant.
              Never. Ever.

Comment

• andrewdoull
                Unangband maintainer
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Arralen
                Questions ...

"Ring of Flames" and "Gauntlets of Poison" - (I)nspecting them says they do "x3 damage from fire/poison" .. looks like this at least works for the gauntlets when a weapon is wielded, as I get monster recall messages about poison resists. I'm not sure 'bout the fire, but maybe I haven't hit a fire resistant monster up to now. Do those items work for unarmed combat (now), too?
                Rings only apply their brand if you are not wearing gloves. Given the change Angband has made, I may consider modifying this.

Rods of Lightning Beams seem to do very low damage now .. 2d6 actually .. while Rods of Light do 56 damage to targets vulnerable to light. Is this intended?
                Its a bug.

Andrew

Comment

• baddog73
                  Apprentice
                  • Mar 2008

I'd like to hear your opinions on what may be a gameplay issue.

I'm playing a ranger - lvl 14 - excellent bow skills and iffy fighting skills. Trying to take out the Dunlending agent with ranged attacks always fails - he just responds with powerful spells that kill me in 2 to 4 hits depending on which he uses. He usually casts slow, which cancells out my speed potion, so I don't really get any extra shots with the bow.

But the worst thing is that 80% or so of my shots miss, and those that do hit he "shrugs off." It might take 25 or more hits to kill him, but I don't think it's really feasible to do so.

Since this is my test char, I reloaded the last level and kept trying. In the end, I finally got him by meleeing with an {excellent} cutlass. About 6 hits did him in.

The point is: why is he so impervious to arrows? And why does he cast 50 hp magical attacks at range every turn? I suppose he's supposed to be difficult since he's on the alternate path, but for a ranged character it's not very encouraging.

-Ben

Comment

• Pete Mack
                    Prophet
                    • Apr 2007

That dungeon is full of mushrooms of blindness and confusion. Use them.
                    If your arrows don't hit, use !Heroism.

Comment

• baddog73
                      Apprentice
                      • Mar 2008

The intent was to ask why arrows are so much weaker than a melee attack.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                        Prophet
                        • Apr 2007

Arrows aren't necessarily worse than melee. It depends on your class.

Comment

• PaulBlay
                          Knight
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                          Arrows aren't necessarily worse than melee. It depends on your class.
                          He's playing a ranger, you know.
                          Currently turning (Angband) Japanese.

Comment

• Arralen
                            Swordsman
                            • May 2007

Originally posted by baddog73
                            The intent was to ask why arrows are so much weaker than a melee attack.
                            AFAIK only to-hit depends on class (Ranger in this case, so much I figured, what should give you very good bow skill). To-damage does not depend on class, but on launcher and arrows used.

Should be pretty obvious that a Shortbow (x2) (+0,+0) and Arrows (1d6) (+0+,0) will do less damage then an {excellent} cutlass ... .

Therefore, before using mushrooms for coatings one should use scrolls to enchant the bow/arrows!
                            Never. Ever.

Comment

• Bandobras
                              Knight
                              • Apr 2007

Yeah, and even just dipping your (+0, +0) arrows in oil can double the damage you do. Criticals (heroism and blessing) help, too.

But Dunlending _is_ meant to be mean. He's optional, opens access to a lot of freebies and drops your first artifact a couple thousand turns into the game, if you are lucky. I've seen people kill him, whom he normally kills with one spell (hint: harden yourself against his damage spells, disable him in the first turn or deal with him totally out of sight (possible, too, in many ways, depending on class and finds, and if he does not see you he can't slow you nor kill you)). He is a kind of a puzzle, really, only quite a replayable one...

Comment

• Arralen
                                Swordsman
                                • May 2007

Originally posted by andrewdoull
                                Its a bug.
                                Andrew
                                [ Bug #15731 ] Rod damage numbers are off ...
                                Never. Ever.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍