[FA] More scroll graphics (for non-ascii players)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thapper
    Adept
    • Aug 2008

[FA] More scroll graphics (for non-ascii players)

Inspired by buzzkill's updating of the 32x32.bmp file for FA (to include shafts etc.) I went on to try to draw tiles for all the scrolls that don't have their own in FA. That is: Frightening, Elemental Attacks, Brand Missiles, *Recharging*, Fire-, Cold-, Acid- and Electroproofing. I've used as much as I could of David Gervais' designs and colour schemes. In the attached file there are two lines of tiles:

Line1: (empty), Frightening, Fire-, Fire- (different colours), Cold-, Electro- and Acidproofing

Line2: *Recharging*, Elemental Attacks, Brand Missiles, Fire-, Cold-, Electro- and Acidproofing (again, without text).

I would be interested to know what other players using graphics (and Nick) think about these, and if anyone has any feed back as to what could make them better/more obvious.

cheers,

thapper
    Attached Files
  • buzzkill
    Prophet
    • May 2008

Nice work! I'm just going to grab these and add them to the FA tile set. I hope that's what you had in mind. Surely, Nick will come by and co-opt both our efforts without acknowledgment.. It's almost as if he had planned it .

Thapper, are you aware of the Z+ project. You seem to have the skills, and any help would be greatly appreciated.
    www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
    My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by thapper
      I would be interested to know what other players using graphics (and Nick) think about these, and if anyone has any feed back as to what could make them better/more obvious.
      I think they're great. The only improvement I can think of is that blue doesn't make me think of acid - maybe go with a dark grey for the acidproofing scroll?
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by buzzkill
        Surely, Nick will come by and co-opt both our efforts without acknowledgment.
        I'm glad people are starting to recognise the reality of the situation

Comment

• buzzkill
          Prophet
          • May 2008

Originally posted by Nick
          I think they're great. The only improvement I can think of is that blue doesn't make me think of acid - maybe go with a dark grey for the acidproofing scroll?
          I'm guessing color blue came from Water Hounds. They are blue in the DVG tileset.
          www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.

Comment

• thapper
            Adept
            • Aug 2008

Buzzkill, wait with grabbing them for now to let me fix them a bit...

Thapper, are you aware of the Z+ project. You seem to have the skills, and any help would be greatly appreciated.
            I had seen that you started to work a bit with Z+ graphics but I had actually completely missed that thread. I'll see if I can do something...

The only improvement I can think of is that blue doesn't make me think of acid
            Well, the water Hounds are blue in non-ascii mode but the dragons are dark grey so I guess both would fit into the "theme". Updated dark grey versions will come...

By the way, is the version with text (ACIDP, ELECP etc.) or without best? I'd like to keep them without but if it is hard to grasp what they represent it is kind of useless anyway.

thapper

Comment

• buzzkill
              Prophet
              • May 2008

By the way, is the version with text (ACIDP, ELECP etc.) or without best? I'd like to keep them without but if it is hard to grasp what they represent it is kind of useless anyway.
              As long as they are unique to themselves I'd say that's good enough. Players will get used to them. There are a lot of items that don't exactly look like what they should. I'm always getting Remove Curse, Holy Chant, Bless confused, as well at Aggravate, Summon, Scare. I'd say they are fine, with or without text. I'd be inclined to go the non-text route but you can make the call.

Comment

• thapper
                Adept
                • Aug 2008

Ok, a slightly updated version, cut down to 8 tiles (no doubles) and with dark grey colour for acid (to please the maintainer ). I went with the no text version.

thapper
                Attached Files

Comment

• Nick
                  Vanilla maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

Ok, a slightly updated version, cut down to 8 tiles (no doubles) and with dark grey colour for acid (to please the maintainer ). I went with the no text version.
                  Very nice. I prefer the no text version too.

Comment

• buzzkill
                    Prophet
                    • May 2008

OK, the revised tileset is available here. (FAAngband 036 folder)

For best results wait 24 hours before downloading.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍