X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sealer
    Rookie
    • Dec 2007

[FA] What are the modes?

Hello, can someone describe to me the modes available in FAAngband? What's the diference betweend small device and normal mode? Thrall, Ironman (well Ironman is pretty self explanatory) and "the lot", how do they change the gameplay?
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Sealer
    Hello, can someone describe to me the modes available in FAAngband? What's the diference betweend small device and normal mode? Thrall, Ironman (well Ironman is pretty self explanatory) and "the lot", how do they change the gameplay?
    Thrall mode means you start on the steps of Angband (with some survival gear) and have no home town. It's very hard unless you play a rogue, assassin or necro and take Unlight as your specialty, but you find good gear at that level and quite fast wins are possible. If you've ever played a ToME Lost Soul, it's a little like that.

Small device means all the projection distances (player's view, player and monster spell and ranged attack distances) are cut in half. The idea is if you're playing on something where you only get to see a small prtion of the map, you're less likely to be surprised by a nether ball from offscreen. It seems to me to make the game a bit easier.

The lot was a bad way of describing setting all three options to yes.

Ironman is very difficult; I imagine ironman thrall is impossible.
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Seany C
      Swordsman
      • Apr 2007

Heh, what's the ultimate challenge game for Psi? Ironman Thrall Hobbit Mage?

Comment

• Sealer
        Rookie
        • Dec 2007

Thanks for the answers!

Comment

• Psi
          Knight
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Seany C
          Heh, what's the ultimate challenge game for Psi? Ironman Thrall Hobbit Mage?
          Nah. Hobbits might actually survive a couple of turns because of their stealth...

Even with an HE Assassin, I've never taken an ironman thrall past about Ang61.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎