X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cryomaniac
    Swordsman
    • Jan 2022

[Announce] English Translation (0.2) for Hengband Touhou Katteban

In this new version, I've translated most of the help files, aside from the auto-picker/destroyer guide. There's a lot of content that should already be familiar to Hengband veterans, but those help files also cover new content added in this mod.

Some other more minor changes:
    -Saving Throw is now 'Protection from Magic/Magic Protection'; similar terminology was used in some places in Hengband
    On 'C' screen, it's shortened to 'ProtFrMagic'
    -Artifacts are marked in a somewhat similar manner to Japanese version:
    Fixed artifacts have '*' in front of item name
    Randarts have 'X' in front of item name
    -Some ego-item names are prefixes now - 'Black Ribbon' instead of 'Ribbon (Black)'

Windows binary is available in Releases on the github project:

English translation for Hengband Touhou Katteban. Contribute to Cryomaniac13/hengband-touhou-katteban-en development by creating an account on GitHub.
  • HugoVirtuoso
    Veteran
    • Jan 2012

Do you actually read Japanese by any chance? e.g. Kanji. Just asking since you've tremendous amount of JP translations
    My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• Cryomaniac
      Swordsman
      • Jan 2022

Originally posted by HugoVirtuoso
      Do you actually read Japanese by any chance? e.g. Kanji. Just asking since you've tremendous amount of JP translations
      I can read to some extent, but I was relying on Google Translate for more complex sentences/wordings. My reading skills were enough to let me win in the Japanese version several times, though.

Comment

• KiTA
        Rookie
        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Cryomaniac
        I can read to some extent, but I was relying on Google Translate for more complex sentences/wordings. My reading skills were enough to let me win in the Japanese version several times, though.
        If I might make a suggestion, try DeepL. It's leagues above Google Translate nowadays. I don't know how they did it, but yeah. Handles a lot of things Google can't.

Comment

• clouded
          Swordsman
          • Jun 2012

Ow, Shion Yorigami is a mean enemy. There are still a lot of characters I don't recognise by name, that's my first death to a new enemy (other deaths have been mana bolts from a Raals and warlock, all around DL40).

Comment

• Cryomaniac
            Swordsman
            • Jan 2022

Originally posted by clouded
            Ow, Shion Yorigami is a mean enemy. There are still a lot of characters I don't recognise by name, that's my first death to a new enemy (other deaths have been mana bolts from a Raals and warlock, all around DL40).
            Yes, she's one of the enemies you want to avoid fighting.

Spoiler, highlight to read: She doesn't give you any rewards at all; leave her first form alone if you meet her

Comment

• Cryomaniac
              Swordsman
              • Jan 2022

New source code version got released (v1.1.95)! Updating my translation will be a kind of pain, since I'll have to somehow manually diff the two source code sets, but I'm planning to upgrade it to newer version.

Also, I'm really not sure what's lacking in translation right now; auto-picker/destroyer should be done at some point - it's linked to in-game English names of various races/classes/realms, so I'll have to figure out how it works. There's some flavor elements still missing (like Touhou uniques speech lines), but original Hengband also had some moments untranslated (like many monster descriptions). I've successfully completed base game once, and the help files are ready now - but there still might be something left untranslated, there's ton of new content and I might've missed something.

EDIT: found an util that can diff 2 folders in Windows, that makes it much easier to update
              Last edited by Cryomaniac; March 26, 2022, 08:58. Reason: minor update

Comment

• clouded
                Swordsman
                • Jun 2012

Have you contacted the dev at all? I'm sure they'd be happy to see their work translated and would probably include it in the mainline version.

Comment

• Cryomaniac
                  Swordsman
                  • Jan 2022

Originally posted by clouded
                  Have you contacted the dev at all? I'm sure they'd be happy to see their work translated and would probably include it in the mainline version.
                  Unfortunately, like I said before, I'm not proficient in Japanese - I had to go to translation tools for more complex text; while I can read Japanese well enough to play, I'm not that confident in actually trying to get in contact with Japanese *band community. Is there anyone here who's more proficient? The dev has a BBS on their webpage as a contact method, they probably would pay attention to it.

Incidentally, the Japanese Roguelike BBS had noticed this thread, but nothing much came out of it for now.

Comment

• Cryomaniac
                    Swordsman
                    • Jan 2022

Another potentially nasty moment in merging translation into main would be the auto-picker/destroyer; as I said, it relies on English names for races/classes/etc, and I've changed some (for example, 'Werebeast' was 'Warbeast')

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                      Veteran
                      • Jan 2012

Warbeast sounds cooler, though
                      My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎