X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cryomaniac
    Swordsman
    • Jan 2022

[Announce] Alpha English Translation (0.1) for Hengband Touhou Katteban

Earlier, I've made a thread about a Touhou mod for Hengband I've found; I've been working on translating it, and I think I have a preliminary version ready now. Most of content is translated (notably, though, help files still use Hengband's english version); however I'm not proficient in Japanese and am not a native English speaker, so that's an amateur translation at best. I also might've missed some content.

The Documentation folder contains translated list of changes from base Hengband and a few translated pages from the Japanese wiki (in particular, Unique Classes Description lists brief description + ease of use for Touhou Characters you can play). I might expand on it later on (and, apparently, Github has wiki functionality as well).

Here's the github repository:
    English translation for Hengband Touhou Katteban. Contribute to Cryomaniac13/hengband-touhou-katteban-en development by creating an account on GitHub.

It has Windows build only, I can't make anything else. Also, it's my first time releasing a Github project, so I might've done something wrong. Apologizing in advance.
  • Cryomaniac
    Swordsman
    • Jan 2022

Minor update: Posted a new release (0.1.1) on the Github project.

Among other things, fixed improper data that caused wrong monsters to spawn in town locations (notable example being midgame enemies in Myouren Temple, one of the earliest locations)

UPDATE: Another bugfix release added (0.1.2). Fixed a crash when examining *identified* guns.
    UPDATE 2: Another quick bugfix (0.1.2a); Phase Spiders and Death Swords quest was bugged in English version
    Last edited by Cryomaniac; March 14, 2022, 08:03. Reason: New release

Comment

• Cryomaniac
      Swordsman
      • Jan 2022

Added another bugfix release to Github, 0.1.3. Basement of Ruined Mansion quest (reflavored Vault quest from Hengband) was bugged, and I made several other layout/formatting tweaks and name fixes.

Comment

• clouded
        Swordsman
        • Jun 2012

Wow this looks amazing! I can't believe how much new content there is, super excited to explore it all. Thanks a ton for translating it!

Comment

• Cryomaniac
          Swordsman
          • Jan 2022

Originally posted by clouded
          Wow this looks amazing! I can't believe how much new content there is, super excited to explore it all. Thanks a ton for translating it!
          Glad you're enjoying it! Just keep in mind that the way Hengband's translation is implemented isn't quite clean, and I still might've missed something. In particular, quests had some annoying bugs since you have to duplicate the quest definition lines both for English and Japanese, even if they don't have anything to translate and just define quest data. Also, monster/item/artifact data files have some entries mixed in the middle that still might have improper English names.

I'm not 100% certain how well it would work in English locale; I'm running in Japanese locale, but it might crash otherwise if it attempts to display JP characters. Hopefully it'll just output some gibberish.

Right now, I'm slowly working on help files (they were changed a lot, and now they go far more into gameplay details) and trying to progress in a legit playthrough to some degree (I'm writing it down in AAR; spoilers for new content, obviously).

Comment

• clouded
            Swordsman
            • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Cryomaniac
            I'm not 100% certain how well it would work in English locale; I'm running in Japanese locale, but it might crash otherwise if it attempts to display JP characters. Hopefully it'll just output some gibberish.
            The only issue I've ran into so far is that pressing '?' to bring up help in a menu brings up the original, not the translated text, where there is translation. For example in the difficulty selection menu, '?' opens up tbirth.txt (which is garbled, but doesn't crash or anything) instead of tbirth_en.txt. Selecting the option displays the translated text though.

Comment

• Cryomaniac
              Swordsman
              • Jan 2022

That's what I was mainly concerned about - it could crash instead of just showing garbled text. I know running JP version in English locale would cause game to crash, and wasn't sure if same would happen if English version attempted to display JP characters.

Comment

• Cryomaniac
                Swordsman
                • Jan 2022

A minor question on item formatting: In Japanese versions, artifacts/other special items have a special symbol at the beginning - for example, artifacts are denoted with a star. I'd personally like to add something like that to English version; would that be a good idea?

Comment

• Cryomaniac
                  Swordsman
                  • Jan 2022

Here's how new artifact notation might look:

Code:
                  Equipment: carrying  92.2 kg (97% of capacity). Command:                                                               
                  a) / Both arms     : * Flower that Never Withers (9d6) (+6,+30) (+2) {+Ch;rLiDi}                                 2.5 kg
                  b) & Both arms     : (holding weapon in both hands)                                                              0.0 kg
                  c) ~ Ribbon        : a Hachimaki (White) [1,+7] (+2 to stealth) {+DxSl}                                          0.1 kg
                  d) = On right hand : a Ring of Speed (+8)                                                                        0.1 kg
                  e) = On left hand  : * Ring of Power (Narya) (+10,+10) (+1) {+SpStInWiDxCnCh;*Fi;FaSiSdRg(StDx}                  0.1 kg
                  f) " Around neck   : Amulet of the Magi of the Moon [+9] (+4 to searching) {+InWiSrIf;rPoHoTi;EsFaSiCoBlWr~An}   0.1 kg
                  g) * Light source  : * Stone of Lore                                                                             0.7 kg
                  h) [ On body       : X Green Dragon Scale Mail of Heart's Desire (-2) [30,+21] (+3 to speed) {+SpWiChSl;rPoLiHo 10.0 kg
                  i) ( About body    : a Fur Cloak of Patrolling [3,+19] (+3 to searching) {+Sr;rCo}                               1.5 kg
                  j) ] On head       : * Steel Helm of Hammerhand (+0,+5) [10,+20] (+3) {+StDxCn;rAc;Fe}                           4.0 kg
                  k) ] On hands      : a Set of Gauntlets of Oni (+5,+6) [9,+13] (+4) {+St;rNt}                                    3.7 kg
                  l) ) On feet       : * Pair of Leather Boots of Shiva's Avatar (+5,+5) [4,+16] (+4 to speed) {+SpDx;rWa;FaLv(Dx  1.0 kg
                  '*' denotes a fixed artifact, 'X' is for random artifacts. I prefer this because it makes it easier to tell artifact items at a quick glance (and it distinguishes between fixed and random artis as well). Unfortunately, English character set doesn't have that noticeable characters compared to what is used in JP versions.

Comment

• clouded
                    Swordsman
                    • Jun 2012

guys im crying rn it's like seeing a sunrise, or full moon and realising the Beauty of the World, or realising the fact that if you had left your house 10 minutes later on that one day you would never have met your life partner. This is a true masterpiece of the Angband Variant Artform. This level of detail, flavour and creativity is unmatched. It is a true work of love.

Mr. pav, can we have a ladder?
                    Mr. Gwarl, can you put it on angband.live?

Comment

• SethaWetha
                      Scout
                      • May 2018

Wow this is kinda crazy. I never expected these two pieces of media to clash like this. I'm not a huge Touhou fan but I've beaten a few games and read a few of the manga. might check this out! Thanks for translating it
                      http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-browse.php?e=SethaWetha

Comment

• meltdown
                        Rookie
                        • Feb 2016

This Game Rocks!

Ive had a ton of fun discovering the features in this game. thank you so much for your work translating this jem. i LOVE all the new features an even the imbalancing. i really enjoy the "extra mode" and the cards kind of reminds me of greed island. reading this playthru helped me grasp a bit more of the progression of the normal game mode, ive been playing extra. ive had the best luck with inchling warrior, or cardmaster. they have an insane ammount of stealth an level up quite quickly. I mainly use force 20 stat points, how do you guys feel about playing that way or using autoroller? again i love this version its super inspiring to me and has made me think about different variant types. thanks!

Comment

• Cryomaniac
                          Swordsman
                          • Jan 2022

I'm using 20 stat points as well; random stat point amount might get you more, but it can take quite a few attempts to even get to around 20. I'm personally more leaning towards traditional resource-heavy basic *band mode; do the translations look fine in Extra?

Inchlings probably will have tough mid/endgame period - they have very low hit dice, and will be struggling to reach 1000 HP. Their ability to wield short blades with two hands gives them a slight edge regarding blows per round.

From what I've seen, Card-Traders can be absurd in standard mode if you grind for long enough - higher rank cards have a flat chance to negate some of enemy spells, and they work even if you're carrying them in your card case.

Comment

• meltdown
                            Rookie
                            • Feb 2016

I definitely see inchling having an issue with hp, the stealth however is SUPER high must be higher than a tradtitonal shadow fairy. in extra mode cardmasters start with a chest that contains 8 or so cards so u get a nice random roll of different starting abilities, some quite useful, some not for a pure angand dungeon mode. you come across random '0' buildings in dungeon that can sometimes allow you to get more cards. extra mode provides additional slots for single use cards that seem to always activate, u get 8 slots, so u can manage have 8 additional single use abilities for support. so even as a warrior u get the ability to pick up item cards which are quite common which provide single use versions of monster abilities, but not passives like the '25% chance to doge rockets" or w/e. Translation seems good, i had the version that would crash at inspecting guns soim looking foreward to trying the new versions.

Comment

• meltdown
                              Rookie
                              • Feb 2016

Outsider Game Mode

I was wondering how the outsider game mode is meant to play and how to get early gold? is pretty tough to smack things with your bare hands, do u have to sell the starting cell phone?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎