X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gwarl
    Administrator
    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by smbhax
    The "-- -o" to use the old subwindow layout won't be too confusing with the older "-o" option for "use original keyset," I suppose?
    well it's a subopt so it shouldn't conflict. I couldn't use the traditional -b for bigscreen because bigscreen is just the new syntax without parameters, and I didn't want to implement angband's -nN. This seemed like a good idea

Comment

• smbhax
      Swordsman
      • Oct 2021

Originally posted by Gwarl
      I didn't want to implement angband's -nN
      Wait but that was working already. It worked in mine. I need that, I can't handle the composband stuff = ooo
      My Angband videos

Comment

• smbhax
        Swordsman
        • Oct 2021

I synced to your pull request, did a full recompile and ran into a few surprises:

- The cursor is not being drawn (press x to look around, there is no visible cursor to show what is being looked at)

- The darker colors (forest green, background "x" marks in dungeon, and anything darker than those) are brighter now and less accurate to the color table values in term/gameterm.cpp (that was the case in my second version, but not in my first)

- The "-mgcu -- -n4" or just "-- -n4" command line stuff no longer works--no subwindows come up in-game, and when I leave the game, I see "Ignoring option -n4" or whatever in the console (I'm not sure it worked in the game before; I sometimes did "-- -n4", and the full "-mgcu -- -n4" is like the one optional option they recommend in their English readme, but you'd still get the same even without entering that; I never tried like "-- -n6" or something...until I'd hacked the Angband stuff in myself today, and then "-- -n6" definitely *did* work, and so did "-- -n4," because with my hack, if I didn't enter options like those--or the composband style--I'd get no subwindows)

- The funky composband or whatever subwindow command line options are probably working--I can get some subwindows with them, although I'm really bad at figuring out how to get them to come out right--but when I quit the game I still find the command line returning "Ignoring option"; like, I entered "./hengband -mgcu -- -right 40x25,* -bottom *x7" and got some subwindows in game, but when I got back, I still found

Ignoring option: -right
        Ignoring option: 40x25*
        Ignoring option: -bottom
        Ignoring option: *x7

in the console
        Last edited by smbhax; January 30, 2022, 19:52.
        My Angband videos

Comment

• smbhax
          Swordsman
          • Oct 2021

well it's a subopt so it shouldn't conflict. I couldn't use the traditional -b for bigscreen because bigscreen is just the new syntax without parameters
          Yeah I tried "-o -- -o" and they both worked, it's just a little strange to look at as a command line to enter. ^_^
          My Angband videos

Comment

• Gwarl
            Administrator
            • Jan 2017

- The cursor is not being drawn (press x to look around, there is no visible cursor to show what is being looked at)
            This is probably a side effect of Habu's cursor fix

- The darker colors (forest green, background "x" marks in dungeon, and anything darker than those) are brighter now and less accurate to the color table values in term/gameterm.cpp (that was the case in my second version, but not in my first)
            This is probably a side affect of the colour fix. It comes straight from mainstream angband though.

- The "-mgcu -- -n4" or just "-- -n4" command line stuff no longer works--no subwindows come up in-game, and when I leave the game, I see "Ignoring option -n4" or whatever in the console (I'm not sure it worked in the game before; I sometimes did "-- -n4", and the full "-mgcu -- -n4" is like the one optional option they recommend in their English readme, but you'd still get the same even without entering that; I never tried like "-- -n6" or something...until I'd hacked the Angband stuff in myself today, and then "-- -n6" definitely *did* work, and so did "-- -n4," because with my hack, if I didn't enter options like those--or the composband style--I'd get no subwindows)
            hengband never supported that. it didn't support any mgcu subopts at all. -o will give you the old behaviour. Porting modern angband's behaviour would be more work and I'm not motivated to do it.

- The funky composband or whatever subwindow command line options are probably working--I can get some subwindows with them, although I'm really bad at figuring out how to get them to come out right--but when I quit the game I still find the command line returning "Ignoring option"; like, I entered "./hengband -mgcu -- -right 40x25,* -bottom *x7" and got some subwindows in game, but when I got back, I still found

Ignoring option: -right
            Ignoring option: 40x25*
            Ignoring option: -bottom
            Ignoring option: *x7

in the console
            Those 'ignoring option' things are a bug, yes

Comment

• backwardsEric
              Knight
              • Aug 2019

You might interpolate between the changes this pull request, https://github.com/angband/angband/pull/5286/files , makes to Angband and Gwarl's changes to Hengband for 256/88 color curses windows. That should get back the close matching to the specified colors, at least when the terminal supports changing the color table.

Comment

• smbhax
                Swordsman
                • Oct 2021

This is probably a side effect of Habu's cursor fix
                I don't think so. The cursor worked with her fix. And I used her fix as my Hengband basis in both my versions and the cursor always worked.

This is probably a side affect of the colour fix. It comes straight from mainstream angband though.
                Ah right I forgot you had a separate color-related pull request. What was that fixing, anyway? I've been running Cygwin as an xterm-256color terminal, and I hadn't noticed a color problem in the GCU version of Hengband.

hengband never supported that. it didn't support any mgcu subopts at all. -o will give you the old behaviour. Porting modern angband's behaviour would be more work and I'm not motivated to do it.
                Hm well all I did was a little copy and paste from Angband's main-gcu.c, and the mgcu stuff definitely just worked in both my versions of main-gcu.cpp.
                Last edited by smbhax; January 30, 2022, 20:27.
                My Angband videos

Comment

• smbhax
                  Swordsman
                  • Oct 2021

Originally posted by backwardsEric
                  You might interpolate between the changes this pull request, https://github.com/angband/angband/pull/5286/files , makes to Angband and Gwarl's changes to Hengband for 256/88 color curses windows. That should get back the close matching to the specified colors, at least when the terminal supports changing the color table.
                  So PR5286 after Gwarl's two PRs should get back to being fairly close to the term/gameterm.cpp color table colors?

Oh wait PR5286 is in Angband, not Hengband. Oh heck.
                  My Angband videos

Comment

• smbhax
                    Swordsman
                    • Oct 2021

I did a clean build to current develop branch and you are absolutely correct, the -- -nN command line suboption does nothing there.

But here is the game fully rebuilt from habu's cursor fix PR2024--note visible cursor--and my first main-gcu.cpp hack -- the cpp file is attached to this post two pages back in this thread http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showpos...1&postcount=20 -- with large dungeon display and six working subwindows, launched with "./hengband -- -n6" (the composband command line stuff works too, as far as I can tell--I'm not very good at it):

(And the older colors.)
                    Last edited by smbhax; January 30, 2022, 22:19.
                    My Angband videos

Comment

• Gwarl
                      Administrator
                      • Jan 2017

Originally posted by backwardsEric
                      Wow I was going to suggest we ask you to take a look at this. I'll have to include it in the hengband PR so I don't mess their colours up. Thankfully I don't think I have to go back and apply it to every variant hosted on .live? Does this work with 256 colour terminals or is it just applying the old behaviour to 16 colours?

It works with 256 colour terminals doesn't it? I have to go back and apply it to the entire 30 odd versions and variants I'm hosting don't I?

Comment

• Gwarl
                        Administrator
                        • Jan 2017

I did a clean build to current develop branch and you are absolutely correct, the -- -nN command line suboption does nothing there.

But here is the game fully rebuilt from habu's cursor fix PR2024--note visible cursor--and my first main-gcu.cpp hack -- the cpp file is attached to this post two pages back in this thread http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showpos...1&postcount=20 -- with large dungeon display and six working subwindows, launched with "./hengband -- -n6" (the composband command line stuff works too, as far as I can tell--I'm not very good at it):

(And the older colors.)
                        Yeah it's the code from angband's main-gcu that's allowing you to have 6 terminals. go look in hengband's main-gcu file; line 194

変愚蛮怒のメインリポジトリ. Contribute to hengband/hengband development by creating an account on GitHub.

#define MAX_TERM_DATA 4
                        Then look at angband or your hack and you'll see

#define MAX_TERM_DATA 6
                        Like I say, Hengband isn't even parsing any mgcu subopts, never mind doing anything with them.

Comment

• backwardsEric
                          Knight
                          • Aug 2019

Wow I was going to suggest we ask you to take a look at this. I'll have to include it in the hengband PR so I don't mess their colours up. Thankfully I don't think I have to go back and apply it to every variant hosted on .live? Does this work with 256 colour terminals or is it just applying the old behaviour to 16 colours?

It works with 256 colour terminals doesn't it? I have to go back and apply it to the entire 30 odd versions and variants I'm hosting don't I?
                          It works in the 256-color xterm I tried. For other terminal emulators and angband.live, I don't know. Essentially it's using the pre 256/88 color change behavior (overwriting the color table with init_color()) unless curses says changing the color table doesn't work (can_change_color() returns false) or the user requests that the existing color table be preserved.

If the terminal emulator that angband.live uses causes all sessions to share a color table, then it wouldn't make sense to port that change to the variants where the 256/88 color change was applied. Even if each session has it's own color table, I'd only port that change if there was a specific request to do so (the variant's default color scheme doesn't work well when mapped to the 6 x 6 x 6 color cube or someone wants the highest fidelity to a custom color scheme).

Comment

• Gwarl
                            Administrator
                            • Jan 2017

I've had to port the 88/256 behaviour to all the variants on .live because if I don't, white shows up as red and every other colour is also off. They work fine on my local terminal so it probably is .live's terminal emulator's fault.

Thinking about this I'm not sure it's worth changing, I'd have 30+ versions needing patching and would probably also want to use a command line switch with a new field in the game launch menu to switch between them, since people are used to what they have and might not like change, plus nobody has ever complained. I have my work cut out now fixing 2.8.3 and 3 versions of Z so I think I'll just let this one slide.

Comment

• smbhax
                              Swordsman
                              • Oct 2021

Yeah it's the code from angband's main-gcu that's allowing you to have 6 terminals. go look in hengband's main-gcu file; line 194

変愚蛮怒のメインリポジトリ. Contribute to hengband/hengband development by creating an account on GitHub.

Like I say, Hengband isn't even parsing any mgcu subopts, never mind doing anything with them.
                              I know, what I'm saying is that it's not very hard to make this work. I got it working with a little accidental copy and paste.

Are you really going to leave everyone stuck with the much harder to use poschengband-style subwindow control just because that's all you need in .live?

Thinking about your version: you wrote some of your own code in there instead of just going directly with code from current Angband, which means it's less code-compatible with current Angband. Is that wise? Wouldn't it be better--for future support, etc--to keep it as close as possible to vanilla unless the variant's content demands otherwise? What is gained by dropping the -- -nN suboption?

I've had to port the 88/256 behaviour to all the variants on .live because if I don't, white shows up as red and every other colour is also off. They work fine on my local terminal so it probably is .live's terminal emulator's fault.
                              Hengband is about to get less precise colors inflicted on it because of a problem in .live's terminal emulator?? = o
                              Last edited by smbhax; January 31, 2022, 07:34.
                              My Angband videos

Comment

• smbhax
                                Swordsman
                                • Oct 2021

I know, what I'm saying is that it's not very hard to make this work. I got it working with a little accidental copy and paste.

Would you really leave everyone stuck with the much harder to use poschengband-style subwindow control? Come on man, if I can do it accidentally, you can **definitely** do it!

Hengband is about to get less precise colors inflicted on it because of a problem in .live's terminal emulator?? = o

I know, I got the same thing with my second hack of main-gcu.cpp, using Angband's main-gcu.c as a base.

Just did a clean build and I can confirm that Hengband develop has its darker colors brightened when your color change, PR2023, is added to it:

Last edited by smbhax; January 31, 2022, 05:30.
                                My Angband videos

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍