• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ugramoth
    Adept
    • Mar 2017

Bugs in 4.2.1 Single Combat

Sorry if there is already a bug report on this:

I'm playing 4.2.1 with Cl49 paladin. Used single combat on Ungoliath and just before defeating it, game crashes with 'assertion failure'. Loading the save puts me back to start of the single combat and crash eventually repeats. After a while I figured it always crashes when the enemy retreats back to it's own side of the box. And true, this time when it fled, I waited it to come back to my side and defeated it without a crash.

What happened next is, instead of expected 'Ungoliath is defeated, I get 'it is defeated' and I'm dropped on the opposite side of the level.

Later on, I ran into Grand Master Mystic and got him into single combat. Defeated him... And I'm still in the single combat, all by myself! There seems to be no way out.

YASD I know well but getting jailed for life is new experience...

If these are known bugs and fixed in 4.2.2, is there any way to salvage CL49 high-elf paladin with lots of nice gear?
  • Pete Mack
    Prophet
    • Apr 2007

@Ugrqmoth--you can recall out of Single Combat, which is sort of a bug, but really, any fight is long over by the time recall kicks in.

Comment

• Ugramoth
      Adept
      • Mar 2017

In 4.2.1, recall kicks in but after hitting space at 'you feel yourself yanked up <more>', it crashes with page fault exception. After reload, the poor guy is back in the box.

In 4.2.2, recall says 'nothing happens' so I suppose recall out of single combat bug is fixed in 4.2.2

CL 49 character on a 9-8 level with 3(!) vaults that I just started to explore

Comment

• Ugramoth
        Adept
        • Mar 2017

Kind of looks to me that Ungoliant spinning webs inside the single combat somehow caused permanent corruption in single combat related memory (for example, web area was bigger than allocated to single combat area...)

So, Ungoliant actually played an old school buffer overflow hack on me

1. Corrupt the memory by causing buffer overflow with too big webs. This caused multiple crashes but finally spidey got it just right
        2. Take control of return address so single combat drops me to who knows where
        3. Slap nasty payload code on single combat code so next time I use it, BOOM! I'm totally rooted

Getting hacked by imaginary creature rogue AI?

Comment

• Sky
          Veteran
          • Oct 2016

i also lost my paladin to single combat, with a chaos hound, as soon as i hit it the game crashes. Can't TO it or TS either.
          "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• backwardsEric
            Knight
            • Aug 2019

Originally posted by Sky
            i also lost my paladin to single combat, with a chaos hound, as soon as i hit it the game crashes. Can't TO it or TS either.
            If that was with 4.2.2, then posting a save file and the corresponding randart file could help someone track down the issue. If it was with 4.2.1, it may have been one of the bugs that Sideways fixed; posting the savefile and randart file could verify that it's not something that was missed.

It looks like Ungoliant's web spinning near the edge of the level could trigger an assertion failure (in square(); square_iswebbable() should also be listed in the call stack if that's available). That's not specific to single combat and wasn't fixed in 4.2.2.

Comment

• Ugramoth
              Adept
              • Mar 2017

Too bad I didn't keep the save from the time when Ungolianth was still there or copy the call stack, but I do remember that:
              -The error was assertion failure
              -It looked like it occurred always when the spider was creating webs
              -behavior was location-based (instant crash on the far side, more subtle memory corruption on my side)

Comment

• Sky
                Veteran
                • Oct 2016

honest, i had such a horrible time in 4.2.2 that i'm just going to leave it be.
                "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍