• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Magnate
    Angband Devteam member
    • May 2007

Debian packages of 4.2.1 for testing

Evening all,

It's been six years, but I have finally built .deb packages for 4.2.1 - if you use Debian, Ubuntu or any other Debian-based Linux, please download them from https://bass.fugue.org/angband/ and install them and try them. Please report any bugs or issues in this thread and not on the Debian or Ubuntu bug trackers - I will not ask for them to be uploaded until they've been tested here.

Unless you want to build from source, the only things you need to download are:

You need to install them simultaneously with

sudo dpkg -i angband_4.2.1-1_amd64.deb angband-data_4.2.1-1_all.deb

... or your package manager's equivalent.

Hello to everyone I've not read or replied to in six years - it's been busy! I became a single dad in 2014 and it took a bit of getting used to. I hope you're all well and avoiding COVID.

CC
    Last edited by Magnate; February 22, 2021, 22:47.
    "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles
  • fph
    Veteran
    • Apr 2009

Hi and thanks for your work! I tested it on Ubuntu 20.10, overwriting the system package which was already installed. There are some small issues that mostly relate to the upgrade process:

1. During installation I get this warning:
    Code:
    dpkg: warning: unable to delete old directory '/etc/angband/pref': Directory not empty
    dpkg: warning: unable to delete old directory '/etc/angband/edit': Directory not empty
    Content of those folders after installation:
    Code:
    $ ls /etc/angband/pref/
    flvr-dvg.prf  font.prf      graf-new.prf  message.prf   xtra-shb.prf
    flvr-new.prf  font-sdl.prf  graf-nmd.prf  pref.prf      xtra-xxx.prf
    flvr-nmd.prf  font-win.prf  graf.prf      user.prf
    flvr-shb.prf  font-x11.prf  graf-shb.prf  xtra-dvg.prf
    flvr-xxx.prf  font-xxx.prf  graf-xxx.prf  xtra-new.prf
    font-gcu.prf  graf-dvg.prf  keys-gcu.prf  xtra-nmd.prf
    $ ls /etc/angband/edit/
    artifact.txt  limits.txt        object_base.txt  p_hist.txt         spell.txt
    ego_item.txt  monster_base.txt  object.txt       pit.txt            store.txt
    flavor.txt    monster.txt       pain.txt         p_race.txt         terrain.txt
    hints.txt     names.txt         p_class.txt      room_template.txt  vault.txt
    2. When running the game, I got the error "Savefile block can't be read" so I had to delete /var/games/angband/save/Mysavefile.

3. In the help files, the version is described as Angband 4.2.1-g560afcb0-dirty; is that normal?
    --
    Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.

Comment

• Magnate
      Angband Devteam member
      • May 2007

Hi fph, many thanks for the feedback. The "4.2.1-commitID-dirty" is because these debs were not built from the exact 4.2.1 tagged commit on github. The eventual released package will be called 4.2.1-debian (or more likely 4.2.2-debian!).

The first set of errors are because the lib/ file structures have changed since 3.5.1 (which is what I presume you were upgrading from, it's the last packaged version), so this is exactly what I needed to know - I will let you know when those are fixed.

The savefile error is I assume because savefiles from 3.5.1 are not readable by 4.2.1 - if that's right then I can't fix this, sorry!
      "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• fph
        Veteran
        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Magnate
        Hi fph, many thanks for the feedback. The "4.2.1-commitID-dirty" is because these debs were not built from the exact 4.2.1 tagged commit on github. The eventual released package will be called 4.2.1-debian (or more likely 4.2.2-debian!).

The first set of errors are because the lib/ file structures have changed since 3.5.1 (which is what I presume you were upgrading from, it's the last packaged version), so this is exactly what I needed to know - I will let you know when those are fixed.

The savefile error is I assume because savefiles from 3.5.1 are not readable by 4.2.1 - if that's right then I can't fix this, sorry!
        Thanks! Yes, I agree with you on the diagnosis.

For the savefile, maybe you could (1) move the old savefiles to another folder such as /var/games/angband/oldsave-4.2.1/ , so that the new version runs out of the box, and then (2) warn via webconf during the upgrade process that the old savefiles are not playable anymore and have been moved to that folder as a backup.
        --
        Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.

Comment

• backwardsEric
          Knight
          • Aug 2019

Installing the packages on Debian Buster with no previously installed Angband package gives:

Code:
          dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of angband:
           angband depends on libsdl2-2.0.0 (>= 2.0.12); however:
            Version of libsdl2-2.0-0:amd on system is 2.0.9+dfsg1-1
          From what I see at packages.debian.org, 2.0.9+dfsg1-1 is the current version of libsdl2-2.0-0 on Debian buster.

If I force the installation (with dpkg --force-depends-version), that works and all three front ends start and will display @ in town. I had to delete a preexisting ~/.angband/Angband/sdl2init.txt file to get the SDL2 front end to start (with the old file there, that front end bailed out with the message,

Code:
          parse error in /home/eric//.angband/Angband/sdl2init.txt line 19 column 1: kp-modifier: undefined directive
          angband: main-sdl2.c:5646: get_new_window: Assertion '!window->inited' failed.
          ).

Comment

• Magnate
            Angband Devteam member
            • May 2007

Excellent, thanks Eric, that's really useful. I'll try to reproduce that and then fix it.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎