X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Justin Z
    Rookie
    • Nov 2014

Weird RNG?

I just picked Angband back up a couple weeks ago after a long time away. 4.0.5 because it's the version I had in a zip file.

In every playthrough I have been having two major weird things repeatedly happen. First, throughout the game, the item use fail chance has been markedly and consistently higher than reported. I will consistently fail using items with around an 80-85% success rate. Like one point I had a rod of fire balls I think it was with 19% failure--failed four straight times and six out of seven. Nothing else quite got that bad, but I'm consistently missing at least the first attempt at using an item with a 15% failure rate a good half to two-thirds of the time. I know the initial reaction is that I'm just seeing patterns that aren't there but I really don't feel like that's the case.

And I especially don't feel like that's the case because of a broader "seemingly impossible" pattern: in about six playthroughs that have gotten past level 25, I've gotten a total of about ten artifacts. Artifacts are randomized. My current character is on DL 43 and has found one crappy gloves that provided no bonuses and invulnerability to acid. Likewise none of the other artifacts I've found in the other playthroughs were worthwhile.

I feel like I've somehow triggered some weird anti-player behavior in the game. All the birth options are typical (besides forced descent being on). Am I going crazy?
  • Grotug
    Veteran
    • Nov 2013

Sometimes the opposite happens with me, like my TO only fails on minor nuisance monsters and always succeeds on deadly ones. Or I get one good artifact after another. But I definitely have had long, weird "dungeon is against me" streaks like you are experiencing. My favorite is when the dragonbat (damage 3), in a single breath, destroys my only wand of TO. This has happened more than a few times (it actually just happened; fortunately I found a rod of TO not long after).
    Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• Sphara
      Knight
      • Oct 2016

This is what RNG does. I died yesterday, playing 4.2.1 version paladin. I failed to cast Detect Evil twice in a row so many times, my brain started to work around in a fashion "ok, the first one is going to fail". Success rate was 91%. I like to play with probabilities in sports betting and math altogether. Here, I just have to accept that fail rates work, because I'm told they work.

If there ever will be a glitch discovered in Angband probabilities, I can then finally be released from local insane asylum. In the meantime, I can be found from Section 4A, room 2 in Törnävä Mental Hospital, Seinäjoki, Finland.

Comment

• Werbaer
        Adept
        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Justin Z
        And I especially don't feel like that's the case because of a broader "seemingly impossible" pattern: in about six playthroughs that have gotten past level 25, I've gotten a total of about ten artifacts. Artifacts are randomized. My current character is on DL 43 and has found one crappy gloves that provided no bonuses and invulnerability to acid.
        ok, so you got an early artifact this game. Can happen. Only in 2 out of my last 10 winners dumps, i had an artifact that early. One of these were gloves with just free action. (Ok, the other one was an Arkenstone)

How far past level 25 have you gotten?
        I usully (but not always) find one artifact before level 30. About 4 more until level 40, and another 5 until level 50. Around there, i start using Deep Descent scrolls, so further numbers don't say much.

Comment

• bughunter
          Adept
          • Nov 2019

RNG complaints are as old as random number generators.

Older, if you count suspect dice.

While most RNGs are perfectly good enough to, over time, provide an even probabilty distribution, some definitely seem "streakier" than others. I'm not aware of any analysis of this latter inference, but would welcome any references. I usually refer people here:

This page describes the statistical analyses that have been conducted of the true random number service RANDOM.ORG

Just consider streakiness an avenue for "divine feedback" and keep playing.

(And try tipping your waitress more.)

Comment

• gglibertine
            Adept
            • Dec 2007

I've been getting a LOT of really crap randarts in the latest build, including artifact weapons that have literally nothing but one common resist and maybe +8, +3 bonuses. I found one yesterday that had six curses on it plus it was branded with weak lightning and had huge combat minuses. It's been so bad I've disabled randarts for my latest game so I can actually compete. It's been a long time since I saw a really good randart.

Was it intentionally made harder to get good artifacts? Because I feel like right now it's a little TOO hard.

Comment

• Grotug
              Veteran
              • Nov 2013

I'm sorry gglibertine, I've been getting all the good randarts. I'll try to do better not finding soo many good ones. Not quite fair, that. I just won the game doing 987 to evil.
              Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• gglibertine
                Adept
                • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Grotug
                I'm sorry gglibertine, I've been getting all the good randarts. I'll try to do better not finding soo many good ones. Not quite fair, that. I just won the game doing 987 to evil.
                Ah, THAT'S where they all went! I should have guessed.

Comment

• Estie
                  Veteran
                  • Apr 2008

Early randarts are often bad; especially when you compare to the custom made standarts where the low value ones have excellent utility (*thancs, Thalkettoth). A chain mail with res sound and dark might have similar point value, but is pure junk on lvl 20.

Comment

• gglibertine
                    Adept
                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Estie
                    Early randarts are often bad; especially when you compare to the custom made standarts where the low value ones have excellent utility (*thancs, Thalkettoth). A chain mail with res sound and dark might have similar point value, but is pure junk on lvl 20.
                    I've been playing this game since 1994 and have yet to win (mostly because I get careless and don't stop to think things through), so I'm pretty familiar with how the early game goes.

Comment

• Werbaer
                      Adept
                      • Aug 2014

Funny RNG results today.
                      Startet a Rogue on v 4.0.4. Got Detect Traps&Doors at level 8. Cast it a few times (about 5 or more, i think).
                      Surprised there were no fails. Checked the spell info: 50% fail rate. Really?
                      Payed attention. The next 10 castings were also successful. The 11th one failed (by now character level 10, fail rate down at 44%).
                      So about 15 positive results in a row, at a nominal fail 50% chance each time.

Comment

• will_asher
                        DaJAngband Maintainer
                        • Apr 2007

I noticed something similar with my dwarf priest casting clairvoyance. Succeeded the first several times in a row despite ~50% fail rate.
                        Will_Asher
                        aka LibraryAdventurer

My old variant DaJAngband:
                        http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)

Comment

• Nicodimas
                          Rookie
                          • Apr 2021

Just came back and started playing yesterday ! I started in early 90s and quit around 2009. My character who had the most amazing kit died from a offscreen hit (breath) at like dlev 77ish and some unique summoned a bunch of stuff in a room. I remember this single video game experience well and how screwed I was lol../tramua. I’m still salty as this character was amazing(ragequit), but think I fell into the trap of seeing how high I could get. I still remember thinking I shouldnt have died that easily.

Anyhow at character level 20 .. 2 artifacts and a ring of lightning [+13]

There’s a lot of differences too.

Forgot how much fun this was ! Now do people still go deep as possible/locate next to stair and if worth it venture forth? It’s coming back to me slowly. I’m trying a black guard out

Comment

• MattB
                            Veteran
                            • Mar 2013

Welcome back, Nicodimas!

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢