X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Selkie
    Swordsman
    • Aug 2020

Is speed too common with randarts?

Maybe it's just RNG being kind and a few extremely lucky games but: is speed more common than it used to be?

I'm typically pushing around +70 speed (hasted - which I will have an almost infinite ability to do) by the time I fight Morgy. With non-randarts it is slightly lower, but I can only play randarts these days.

Have a look at this half-troll rogue I'm currently playing... nearly every slot is hasting him. I've got a helmet with +5 speed and a bow with +3 speed at home too, but need telepathy and cold immunity for now.

• Pete Mack
    Prophet
    • Apr 2007

I am not entirely convinced by your argument when I see 18/120 CON.

Comment

• archolewa
      Swordsman
      • Feb 2019

Im not sure I agree that with standarts speed is only slightly lower. I only play with standarts (I like the additional lore, and feel like randarts are OP), and I almost always have to wear at least one ring of speed to get within a Speed Potion of Morgoth. Its an exciting run indeed when I get my permanent speed up to Morgoth without leaving giant gaps in my other defenses.

Comment

• Selkie
        Swordsman
        • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Pete Mack
        I am not entirely convinced by your argument when I see 18/120 CON.
        Haha, busted. Nice of you not to mention the glaring holes in my status effect resistances too.

The funny thing is, I sometimes get a bit obsessed with increasing my speed at the expense of other things. But +70 speed isn't such the advantage I always imagine it will be.

Comment

• Pete Mack
          Prophet
          • Apr 2007

However, speed on shield and gloves is a bit dubious. That doesn't remotely match the standart model--znx the only way to get speed on armor normally is ego dragon armor.

Comment

• Sky
            Veteran
            • Oct 2016

minor speed bonuses are very common with randarts and a great early source of speed.
            "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• Egavactip
              Swordsman
              • Mar 2012

I have never had 70 hasted speed in any game of Angband I've ever played, no matter the version.

Comment

• Estie
                Veteran
                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Egavactip
                I have never had 70 hasted speed in any game of Angband I've ever played, no matter the version.
                ToME has a haste spell modified by level; typically a sorcerer will have +10 or so base speed but run around with +70 buffed all the time.

Comment

• Newman4546
                  Rookie
                  • Mar 2021

Adjusting randart capacities to make them more usable and specifically durable is an extraordinary thought.

yourtexasbenefits
                  Last edited by Newman4546; March 25, 2021, 05:58.

Comment

• Mondkalb
                    Knight
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Egavactip
                    Same for me, though maybe I could have been, but other considerations like resistances, ESP, Stat (esp. CON), stealth are usually more important than a bit more speed (above 20).
                    My Angband winners so far

My FAangband efforts so far

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡