X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MKula
    Apprentice
    • Feb 2008

Priests and Weapons

So I just got back into Vanilla again after a bit of a hiatus, and what a pleasant surprise: look at all the the mechanics changes!

Fired up a priest, and got lucky found Dethanc at 100' (on the FLOOR no less)! But I'm a priest... oh, WTH, I'll equip it anyway for now just to check. I immediately looked for the familiar "you are not comfortable with your weapon" prompt but there isn't one. Also mana didn't drop. Huh. That's different.

Is that normal now? Is the whole "blunt weapons" thing not a thing anymore for priests? When did that change?
    It breathes on you.
    You die.
  • DavidMedley
    Veteran
    • Oct 2019

Try wearing gloves with a mage. It'll blow your mind, maaaaan.
    Please like my indie game company on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/RatherFunGames

Comment

• MKula
      Apprentice
      • Feb 2008

Indeed...
      But seriously when did these changes happen? I'm trying to go through the revision history to find when it happened (mainly because I'm curious about what else changed to the existing classes), but I don't see any mention of any of it (including the mage glove thing, now that you mention it!).
      It breathes on you.
      You die.

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

IIRC those happened in 4.2.0, which was a major revamp of classes.
        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• MKula
          Apprentice
          • Feb 2008

Ok, so quite recently!
          Thanks, and good to know!
          It breathes on you.
          You die.

Comment

• Sky
            Veteran
            • Oct 2016

priest doesnt need weapons, just stat buff sticks and booom boooom orb of draining.

can we take a minute to discuss what a horrible spell name is Orb Of Draining?
            Why do priests - who heal - have a holy spell that drains???? SHouldn't it be something like Light Of Punishment or Holy Storm or idk something along those lines.
            "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• DavidMedley
              Veteran
              • Oct 2019

Good point about Orb of Draining, Sky.
              Last edited by DavidMedley; May 4, 2020, 16:01.
              Please like my indie game company on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/RatherFunGames

Comment

• Bogatyr
                Knight
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Nick
                IIRC those happened in 4.2.0, which was a major revamp of classes.
                Is there a detailed summary somewhere? The 4.2.0 release notes don't go into any detail of class changes like what are mentioned in this thread.

Comment

• Nick
                  Vanilla maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Bogatyr
                  Is there a detailed summary somewhere? The 4.2.0 release notes don't go into any detail of class changes like what are mentioned in this thread.
                  Probably not really. There was a lot of discussion, probably starting with this thread more than two years ago. That was the point where the new classes started to appear, first in an experimental branch, and then in the main development branch when there was sufficient approval.

Probably the best description is actually the class.txt file, which lists all the classes with their special properties and spells. It's not exactly a how-to guide, but it's not too unreadable.
                  One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                  In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎