• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jesus of Gondor
    Rookie
    • Nov 2015

Amras or Amrod?

Hello guys, looking your advice here...

I'm a Hobbit Rogue and i'm doing pretty great playing with this combo (this is my first time as a Hobbit Rogue), in my adventures i got myself with the short bows of Amrod and Amras. So i just wanted to know which one is better for the neccesities for my character?, Amrod gives me some CON which is cool for anybody and helps my melee, But with Amras i get a little bit of speed, DEX, and it does more ranged damage than Amrod.

Both bows are good yeah, but i wanna know which one is better to stick with, i don't like carrying stuff as swaps because i like to have extra space in my backpack to carry pretty good sellable items.

Here's my Dump.

Thank you.
  • Pete Mack
    Prophet
    • Apr 2007

Amras does a bit more damage, and 2 points of CON doesn't pay off yet. Stash amrod at home for when +2 CON makes a significant difference and you have enough HP to do more melee.

Comment

• Jesus of Gondor
      Rookie
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Pete Mack
      Amras does a bit more damage, and 2 points of CON doesn't pay off yet. Stash amrod at home for when +2 CON makes a significant difference and you have enough HP to do more melee.
      Yeah... that sounds logical, thank you very much, what should i aim for now that i'm the mid game so i don't get rekt?

Comment

• Sphara
        Knight
        • Oct 2016

Looks good imo, except I would switch a weapon. Careth is good but you have better ones sitting at home.

Gurthang is a way better all-around weapon at this point. With it, you can also wield another ring (preferably +Con) instead of FA.

I've also been holding the torch for Lotharang in this forum before and I'll do it again. Activating for Cure Critical Wounds in every 10 turns would make it my primary weapon at least over Careth.

Comment

• Grotug
          Veteran
          • Nov 2013

Duuuuuuuuuude, you have a longbow of Lothrlorien (X5) (+16, +21)? <+5> at home????? That is by far better than both artifact bows. Not only does the huge amount of DEX make your heavier weapons at home do more damage but the bow itself does much more damage than either artifact bow. It also provides protection from fear and free action. For me it's a no-brainer.

@Sphara Lotharang activates for cure serious wounds (so only 40hp and no cure stunning).

I would wield Gurthang for the regen and good damage output and 'Lorien for the great damage output and DEX.
          Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• Estie
            Veteran
            • Apr 2008

Lothlorien + Gurthang should allow for 5 blows.

Edit: Grotug queue jumped in front of me :P

Comment

• wobbly
              Prophet
              • May 2012

Lothlorien bow, replace the fa ring and any of those weapons. You could even wield taratol and dive to great storm wyrm depth and start shooting.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                Prophet
                • Apr 2007

Grotug is right. (I hadn't looked at your character sheet, except to see your stats.) That Lothlorien bow is endgame calibre, while Amrod/Amras are midgame. Only one ego longbow does more damage*, and the best Lothlorien I have ever seen only does 25 more damage per shot.

* belthronding. Even Bard does less damage, but it has other advantages.

Comment

• Grotug
                  Veteran
                  • Nov 2013

I'd probably still take the Lorien bow over Belthronding for arrow economy. Takes nearly twice as many arrows with Belthronding to do the same damage as his Lorien Bow.

I like Wobbly's idea of Storm wyrm hunting. It'd be a hassle, but bringing Taratol as a swap might be a good idea.
                  Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• Jesus of Gondor
                    Rookie
                    • Nov 2015

Hahahahahah, i'm such a noob, but i'm glad that you guys are very perceptive, thank you so much for all the advice , i will follow @Grotug and @Sphara words and replace my ring of FA, i was also thinking about lothlorien but i got carried away with the amount of stat boosts that the bows gives me, but at the long run, the combination you guys say will serve me a lot to kill nasty uniques, (like ringwraiths, and Gorlim, they almost kill me several times that i had to run for my life). I know there are nastier uniques but those are that gave Willow more trouble so far.

Thank you guys a lot for the ideas, @wobbly that sounds nice but i don't want to dive so fast xD i'm enjoying this game, specially Willow's obscene stealth.

Thank you a lot.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍