X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grotug
    Veteran
    • Nov 2013

Angband on Cygwin64 (on Win10)

Moosferatu was generous enough to hold my hand through the process of installing Cygwin64 for Win10 on my laptop and setting up Angband with sound!

Everything is working beautifully (I even found a shortcut for resizing the game window by holding down <CTRL> and sliding my finger along the trackpad).

However the game doesn't like me using the arrow keys. @ keeps zooming passed things, as if I'm holding the shift key down. If I switch to Rogue keyset, @ moves one square at a time like he's supposed to.

I'm really hoping I don't have to try to learn rogue keyset. That might be painful. So as a stopgap I'm just switching to rogueset and fumlbing around with those keys when I need to go down a staircase (arrow keys really don't want to stop on the staircase).

One other thing: sometimes it won't autopick up money when I walk over it while using arrow keys. I have to walk back and forth over the money a couple times before @ picks it up. There is no numpad on my keyboard; I'm using arrow keys that are dedicated as arrow keys (except laptop function key for volume and brightness)
    Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix
  • EpicMan
    Swordsman
    • Dec 2009

Does your system have a numpad? (asking in case its a laptop without one) In the original keyset the numpad keys also move you around and might not be affected by the running behavior.

Comment

• moosferatu
      Apprentice
      • Feb 2020

Ah, I didn't realize you were using the arrow keys. I'll try that tomorrow.

Comment

• Grotug
        Veteran
        • Nov 2013

Originally posted by EpicMan
        Does your system have a numpad? (asking in case its a laptop without one) In the original keyset the numpad keys also move you around and might not be affected by the running behavior.
        No NUMPAD on my laptop. Arrow keys are dedicated arrow keys, so they have no other function (except to adjust the brightness and sound when the special laptop function key is held down).

At 12:27 you can see @ have trouble going down the stairs. Will not stop on the stairs. And then shortly after that at 13:20 @ fails to autopick up money (although that may have more to do with this being a nightly version than my arrow keys; not sure if anyone else has experienced @ not picking up $?)
        Last edited by Grotug; March 25, 2020, 09:42.
        Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• Grotug
          Veteran
          • Nov 2013

I got confused again; again could not attack "you are too confused" when I try to use arrow keys to attack, but when I switch to Rogue keyset I'm able to attack while confused and kill the mushroom.

Comment

• moosferatu
            Apprentice
            • Feb 2020

It's possible the code you built doesn't have the run fix in it.

You could try doing the following in Cygwin:

Code:
            cd angband
            git pull
            make
            cp src/angband.exe .
            And then run it.

Don't for get to copy the executable at the end, I have in the past, or you won't be running the code you just built.

Comment

• Grotug
              Veteran
              • Nov 2013

Ok, thanks. When I do the last step $ cp src/angband.exe .

it says:

cp: cannot create regular file './angband.exe': Device or resource busy

Comment

• moosferatu
                Apprentice
                • Feb 2020

Do you currently have Angband running? Windows doesn't let you overwrite files that are open.

Comment

• Grotug
                  Veteran
                  • Nov 2013

I had to exit Angband to get back to the command line.

I tried to exit cygwin and reload it but it didn't seem to like that:

$ exit
                  logout
                  There are stopped jobs.

Comment

• moosferatu
                    Apprentice
                    • Feb 2020

Sounds like it may not have exited cleanly for whatever reason. I would expect closing Cygwin, reopening it, and trying to do the copy again to work.

Comment

• Grotug
                      Veteran
                      • Nov 2013

I closed cyngwin using the window x instead of within the program.

the cp line now works. but Angband's movement behavior doesn't seem to have improved.

Comment

• DavidMedley
                        Veteran
                        • Oct 2019

I just learned how to move with the numbers across the top. It helps at first if you put three fingers on 123 and three fingers on 789.
                        Please like my indie game company on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/RatherFunGames

Comment

• moosferatu
                          Apprentice
                          • Feb 2020

Well, the "good" news is that I was able to reproduce the problem on both Windows and Linux.

The arrow keys behave as run keys only under GCU with the original keyset enabled (works as expected with the roguelike keyset). They do not behave as run keys for the X11, SDL, or Windows versions. I haven't had a chance to look at the source to see if it's immediately obvious why this is the case.

Comment

• moosferatu
                            Apprentice
                            • Feb 2020

Looked further into this, and it turns out that it's being done intentionally.

A free, single-player roguelike dungeon exploration game - File not found angband/angband

God knows why.

One way to disable it is by editing the config so that it doesn't load those mappings.

Open C:\cygwin64\home\USER\angband\lib\customize\pref.p rf in Notepad++, and remove the following lines from the end of the file:

Code:
                            ?:[EQU $SYS gcu]
                            %:keys-gcu.prf
                            Alternatively, I assume you could just remap the keys within Angband.

Comment

• Grotug
                              Veteran
                              • Nov 2013

Dang diggitty! Well I'll be a snodgard's snort sneller. Thanks!! That seems to have done the trick! Ahh, except now when I hold the SHIFT key down and press the arrow keys @ won't move in any direction, let alone run. SHIFT does work with the rogue keys, though.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎