X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bogatyr
    Knight
    • Feb 2014

4.2.0 hang on Mac OS Mojave

Well, there I was, zipping along and targeting an orc, and all of a sudden -- boom, no response, and a permanent spinning beach ball. The game is taking 100% CPU and not responding. The last thing I did was target, and I know that there was a Qulthyug in the room. I don't suppose there's any way to save progress if I force quit the process?

p.s. I was dubious at first about 4.2.0 with the removal of so many of my favorite mage swiss army knife utility spells, but the recharging and draining of staves and wands is an interesting new dynamic (keeping normally useless staves around as mana banks), and having effects (slow, stun, hold, etc.) which actually do something most of the time is a big plus.

I'm looking forward to level 25 with spell casting hasting, is it a true 2x casting rate (two spells per turn) or is is just like +10 speed for casting?
  • Bogatyr
    Knight
    • Feb 2014

It had been many levels since I'd saved, but thankfully (the game auto-saved?) I only lost the progress of the level where the hang occurred.

Comment

• mrfy
      Swordsman
      • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Bogatyr
      It had been many levels since I'd saved, but thankfully (the game auto-saved?) I only lost the progress of the level where the hang occurred.
      The game auto saves when you change levels. It seems that stairs have a built-in save function.

I also had the release version randomly quit (on macosx) but I don't remember what I was doing. If it reoccurs I'll try to get a save file.

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Bogatyr
        I'm looking forward to level 25 with spell casting hasting, is it a true 2x casting rate (two spells per turn) or is is just like +10 speed for casting?
        It's each spell only costs half the usual turn energy - just like the way extra shots works. So you can get two spells off in the time it usually takes to cast one, but monsters can potentially move in between.

Did the hang happen after you had cast or fires or whatever at your target, or were you still in the targeting system?
        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Derakon
          Prophet
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Nick
          It's each spell only costs half the usual turn energy - just like the way extra shots works.
          Didn't we nerf the heck out of extra shots because it was overpowered?

Comment

• Bogatyr
            Knight
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Nick
            It's each spell only costs half the usual turn energy - just like the way extra shots works. So you can get two spells off in the time it usually takes to cast one, but monsters can potentially move in between.

Did the hang happen after you had cast or fires or whatever at your target, or were you still in the targeting system?
            It hung in the targeting system, with the "*****" path still drawn

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍