• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hein
    Rookie
    • Jul 2015

Blackguards and melee attacks

Hello,

I just tried playing a Blackguard in 4.2.0.

Is it just me, or do they have much less melee blows/round compared to other classes? I can't really find this described anywhere.
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Correct. Their effective minimum weapon weight is 10 pounds, the idea being that they can hit things hard, but without any finesse. Their entry in the class help says they prefer heavy weapons.
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Madoka
      Apprentice
      • Jul 2007

If any weapon weighing less than 10 lbs is calculated with 10 lbs as their weight, since they prefer killing with heavy weapons, do they have a Heavy Weapon Bonus? Like a 2% weight decrease for weapons > 10 lbs for the blows per round calculation?

Comment

• PowerWyrm
        Prophet
        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Madoka
        If any weapon weighing less than 10 lbs is calculated with 10 lbs as their weight, since they prefer killing with heavy weapons, do they have a Heavy Weapon Bonus? Like a 2% weight decrease for weapons > 10 lbs for the blows per round calculation?
        No bonus, but with heavier weapons you get more crits. The class is hard in the early stages (get the heaviest shield you can for better shield bashes), but later on it's on par with warriors.
        PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• fph
          Veteran
          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
          later on it's on par with warriors.
          They still get one fewer attack, though.
          --
          Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.

Comment

• Sky
            Veteran
            • Oct 2016

Originally posted by fph
            They still get one fewer attack, though.
            no ....

warriors now get five attacks.

sad face.
            "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• Nick
              Vanilla maintainer
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Sky
              no ....

warriors now get five attacks.

sad face.
              Warriors still get 6 attacks.
              One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
              In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                Prophet
                • Apr 2007

Half troll warriors only get five, realistically. You need a preposterous amount of DEX for six with that combo.

Comment

• Derakon
                  Prophet
                  • Dec 2009

I appreciate the intent of having blackguards not benefit from light weapons the same way other classes do, but the implementation is opaque at best. It relies on tweaking a variable in an obscure formula that is only obliquely presented to the player, in the form of the "to get X blows/round with this weapon you would need Y more STR/DEX" text.

I still say that all classes should use the same blows formula (with the same weight biases), but warriors get +1 blow at clvl25 or so and mages/priests get -1 from the start of the game. If you want blackguards to prefer heavy weapons, then you can always give them an explicit bonus/penalty depending on the weight of their weapon. "You feel that your weapon is insufficiently intimidating" sounds like a good message to use when a blackguard distastefully equips a dagger.

Comment

• Monkey Face
                    Adept
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Derakon
                    I still say that all classes should use the same blows formula (with the same weight biases), but warriors get +1 blow at clvl25 or so and mages/priests get -1 from the start of the game.
                    That would be a challenge for a mage or priest that is not strong enough to get more than 1 blow per round and then getting a -1 adjustment so 0 blows per round.

Comment

• Derakon
                      Prophet
                      • Dec 2009

Er, right, of course you get a minimum of 1 blow regardless. But mages/priests would need enough STR/DEX to get to where the table says 3 blows before they'd get 2 blows. I don't believe this would be a significant change in their gameplay as they don't typically rely on melee until after stat-gain anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎