X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PowerWyrm
    Prophet
    • Apr 2008

Cooldowns for spells?

While implementing the new Priest for PWMAngband, I had the idea of adding a "Revive" spell which will act like a temporary buff that will prevent death once if death occurs while the buff is active. But since that's a very powerful ability, I decided to make it last 20+d20 turns while adding a cooldown of 200 turns to have it 10-20% uptime.

Would it also work in V? I was thinking of this for very powerful stuff like healing or teleport other.
    PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!
  • fph
    Veteran
    • Apr 2009

If you have three tele-other wands, two rods, and the spell, do they all share the same cooldown?
    --
    Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.

Comment

• Pete Mack
      Prophet
      • Apr 2007

Powerwyrm-
      V had this once, long ago. It only lastes D10 turns, and was called Globe of Invulnerability. It was just too powerful and was removed.

Comment

• Derakon
        Prophet
        • Dec 2009

That depends on how "prevents death" works. Globe meant you just flat-out didn't take damage (or in some versions, prevented 95% of damage). If this Revive spell means you survive the killing blow but at 0HP, you need to make sure you don't take another hit before getting healed. That limits your options in terms of taking melee damage, or fighting multiple enemies / at a speed disadvantage.

It's also worth bearing in mind that a d10 duration lasts for up to 30+ player turns at endgame speeds.

Comment

• Nick
          Vanilla maintainer
          • Apr 2007

I've never been a fan of cooldowns, although I have trouble pinpointing exactly why. Maybe it's because mana is in effect an aggregation of cooldowns for all spells, and adding individual cooldowns as well seems like you're having to pay twice.
          One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
          In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Chud
            Swordsman
            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Nick
            I've never been a fan of cooldowns, although I have trouble pinpointing exactly why. Maybe it's because mana is in effect an aggregation of cooldowns for all spells, and adding individual cooldowns as well seems like you're having to pay twice.
            I'm pretty much with Nick on this one. Cooldowns feel more reasonable in a real-time (-ish) game like, say, Mass Effect, but don't really feel like they make sense in a turn-based game like Angband. I see them creating a hit-and-run, wait, hit-and-run-again play style which seems like it would just become tedious.

Comment

• wobbly
              Prophet
              • May 2012

They work ok in Tome 4. I'm not a big fan of them either but they do work out ok.

Comment

• Derakon
                Prophet
                • Dec 2009

Isn't literally every ability and item in ToME 4 cooldown-based? If you build the game around it then it probably works fine; the question is how well it works in a game that otherwise doesn't really consider them.

PowerWyrm: what do you think of giving each character, say, 3 "effective" uses of the spell throughout their lives? That is, they can only use the spell if it hasn't saved their lives 3 times before. Casting it and then not needing it doesn't count against this limit.

Comment

• bio_hazard
                  Knight
                  • Dec 2008

You could limit by level instead of by life. One use per level ok, but more than one and there's a good and increasing chance you fall through the floor onto the next level (or alter reality if you're on 99/100) because your magics are too powerful and made the dungeon unstable or some such. I'm not entirely sure of the exact problem we are trying to solve, but at least that might make it less likely people would use the spell for repeated kamikaze runs into vaults since they'd be likely to lose the loot on the 2nd or 3rd casting.

For the revive spell in particular, this sounds more like an innate ability than a spell to me.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                    Veteran
                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
                    While implementing the new Priest for PWMAngband, I had the idea of adding a "Revive" spell which will act like a temporary buff that will prevent death once if death occurs while the buff is active. But since that's a very powerful ability, I decided to make it last 20+d20 turns while adding a cooldown of 200 turns to have it 10-20% uptime.

Would it also work in V? I was thinking of this for very powerful stuff like healing or teleport other.
                    I had a visceral reaction of abhorrence to this idea. For me, one of the most distinguishing features, if not THE most distinguishing feature, of any great rougelike is that there are no second chances, no "extra" lives. You die, you start over from the beginning. No if's, and's, or but's. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200. Making @ immune from death for any period of time is tantamount to giving extra lives. You might as well be playing Pac-man.
                    “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                    ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Estie
                      Veteran
                      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
                      I had a visceral reaction of abhorrence to this idea. For me, one of the most distinguishing features, if not THE most distinguishing feature, of any great rougelike is that there are no second chances, no "extra" lives. You die, you start over from the beginning. No if's, and's, or but's. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200. Making @ immune from death for any period of time is tantamount to giving extra lives. You might as well be playing Pac-man.
                      ToME 2 has various ways to avoid death: the blood of life, a rare unique potion that 1/20 or fewer @s find, a % chance of getting ressurected if @ worships the right god and meets some other requirements and a necromancy based ability that makes you a weak ghost when you die, but if you do the right things afterwards you get back to your original form.

While I generally agree wanting a clearcut death and fresh start, I never felt that ToME2 broke the perma-death principle (unlike, say, Darkest Dungeon).
                      If I found the blood of life, I usually forgot about it and only was reminded in case of "death", and the other avoid-death abilities I might pick up if opportunity arrises or not, preferring some other alternative. They are not desirable enough to dominate character building.

Now an ability as described by PowerWyrm would probably disturb me, too, because it would have to be used in anticipation of great danger and thus keep me thinking about it.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                        Prophet
                        • Apr 2008

I see. For PWMAngband it makes sense because it's not turn based but real time and multiplayer (you play on a distant server), and MAngband based variants already have the "ghost" feature meaning you don't lose your character when you die, but turn into a ghost that can be resurrected. Since Priests already have the Resurrection spell, I felt that it would be nice to also have Revive. I guess it's not the same in V.
                        PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎