X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wobbly
    Prophet
    • May 2012

Tele-other resistance?

I had an idle idea here about how you could introduce this in a way that is straight forward to remember what is & isn't resistant. Attach it to the imombile flag. That would mean drujs, silent watchers, death molds etc.
  • Pondlife
    Apprentice
    • Mar 2010

I really like that idea -I think it would preserve the usefulness and power of TO while ensuring it's not a silver bullet to get past all problems.

I also think death molds could be buffed by giving them the teleport to spell, which would add them to the "don't ever get in LOS" category.
    Playing roguelikes on and off since 1984.
    rogue, hack, moria, nethack, angband & zangband.

Comment

• Grotug
      Veteran
      • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Pondlife
      I really like that idea -I think it would preserve the usefulness and power of TO while ensuring it's not a silver bullet to get past all problems.

I also think death molds could be buffed by giving them the teleport to spell, which would add them to the "don't ever get in LOS" category.
      Suddenly a mold is the most terrible thing in the dungeon....

I think those monsters being TO resistant seems reasonable; makes stone to mud more useful, too.

I've for awhile been wondering about a spell that does the opposite of stone to mud; one that causes the ceiling to crumble leaving a pile of rubble at the target dungeon square.
      Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• Derakon
        Prophet
        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Pondlife
        You are mean.

Originally posted by Grotug
        I've for awhile been wondering about a spell that does the opposite of stone to mud; one that causes the ceiling to crumble leaving a pile of rubble at the target dungeon square.
        There's a reason why the only LOS obstruction options in Vanilla are Earthquake (random and low-density), Destruction (not very useful for actual fights outside of Morgoth), and Create Doors (fragile). Being able to obstruct LOS at will is a powerful ability; in my experience it becomes character-defining as soon as it's available.

That's not to say that it's impossible to balance, but my inclination would be to limit it to, say, a scroll or very-hard-to-recharge wand.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
          Prophet
          • Apr 2008

In some variants there is a mold unique with S_KIN. Encounter it at low level it's harmless, but deeper you're in big trouble.
          PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• wobbly
            Prophet
            • May 2012

Originally posted by Derakon
            There's a reason why the only LOS obstruction options in Vanilla are Earthquake (random and low-density), Destruction (not very useful for actual fights outside of Morgoth), and Create Doors (fragile). Being able to obstruct LOS at will is a powerful ability; in my experience it becomes character-defining as soon as it's available.

That's not to say that it's impossible to balance, but my inclination would be to limit it to, say, a scroll or very-hard-to-recharge wand.
            There's a wand of wall building in both Umoria and PCB. It's balanced in PCB by being so rare that I've never actually seen one. There's also ?forest creation which you rarely collect enough of to justify the slot.

Comment

• fph
              Veteran
              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Derakon
              Create Doors (fragile)
              Fragile? Those humble doors can stop even a dragon breath or a storm of darkness. They are immersion-breakingly solid for what they do.
              --
              Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.

Comment

• Diego Gonzalez
                Adept
                • May 2007

Another idea. Make TO resistance roll a dice to teleport the player instead the monster.

Comment

• Derakon
                  Prophet
                  • Dec 2009

Originally posted by wobbly
                  There's a wand of wall building in both Umoria and PCB. It's balanced in PCB by being so rare that I've never actually seen one. There's also ?forest creation which you rarely collect enough of to justify the slot.
                  Yeah, pretty much. I remember Wall Building in Umoria being pretty powerful, though it's been ages since I played. I think as long as the ability isn't readily available in unlimited quantities (such as by a spell, rod, or easily-recharged wand/staff) it's probably not going to break the game.

Comment

• NightLizard
                    Rookie
                    • Dec 2018

Just an unrelated question here... so there is a difference in how hard wands are to recharge? Shouldn't that be in the item description somewhere? That's kind of important information (especially if it affects how likely they are to break).

Comment

• Derakon
                      Prophet
                      • Dec 2009

If I recall correctly, the difficulty of recharging and the difficulty of activating the wand are related to the same number. So in general wands that are shallow / common are easier to recharge than ones that are deeper and rarer. There's an added wrinkle though in that the method you use to recharge the thing matters. The Recharging scroll has a fixed strength, but recharging spells vary depending on your level. And mages get a better recharging spell in one of the dungeon books that works more reliably. Moreover, the chance to destroy the item on recharging depends on how many charges it already contains.

As a consequence, you can't really put a "You have an X% chance to destroy this wand when recharging it" in the item description.

Comment

• NightLizard
                        Rookie
                        • Dec 2018

Thank you for your answer, that clears up a lot of things for me that I didn't know about!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎