X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sparrow the Dunadan
    Adept
    • Mar 2019

Tools included?

I find it ridiculous that picks are so heavy. I mean they should be significantly heavier (stronger) than shovels, but 18 lbs seems excessive. Can we reduce it to 15 lbs for a basic pick? Heavier picks should have some sort advantage to them that balances their weight cost.

Comment

• Derakon
      Prophet
      • Dec 2009

Honestly of all of the weird weights in the game, having heavy picks is something that actually makes sense. I don't know which of 15 or 18 pounds is more accurate, but somewhere in that range sounds about right. They aren't weapons, they're something that's meant to put a lot of force into a small area, which means plenty of mass driving behind a point.

Comment

• wobbly
        Prophet
        • May 2012

A modern light-weight pickaxe is about 5lbs, so I'd expect an old one to be around the 10lb mark. a heavier pickaxe isn't helping you, it's just tiring your arms out quicker everytime you lift it. As long as you have enough weight in the head for it to swing properly under it's own momentum it'll work.

Comment

• Sparrow the Dunadan
          Adept
          • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Derakon
          Honestly of all of the weird weights in the game, having heavy picks is something that actually makes sense. I don't know which of 15 or 18 pounds is more accurate, but somewhere in that range sounds about right. They aren't weapons, they're something that's meant to put a lot of force into a small area, which means plenty of mass driving behind a point.
          My point with it was that picks are still an very early game item, useful for those that are looking for money. Having the heavy weight value on an object that isn't comparable to items (heavier weapons and armor) normally found at their level just puts more strain on player/game. I mean just reducing it from 18 to 15 would be a significant improvement. The early game would go a lot smoother, and faster.

Comment

• Derakon
            Prophet
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by wobbly
            A modern light-weight pickaxe is about 5lbs, so I'd expect an old one to be around the 10lb mark. a heavier pickaxe isn't helping you, it's just tiring your arms out quicker everytime you lift it. As long as you have enough weight in the head for it to swing properly under it's own momentum it'll work.
            I'm trying to remember how heavy the (modern, with a plastic/fiberglass handle) mattock I have at home is. Not the same as a pickaxe, granted, but it should be pretty close in weight since you're basically just replacing an axehead with an adze. I'm pretty sure it's not five pounds, but you're right that it's probably not 15 either. So, fair enough!

Comment

• Pete Mack
              Prophet
              • Apr 2007

Mattocks are 5-7 pounds too. Sledges are 5-10 lbs.
              10lbs is heavy, when it is out on a lever arm.

Comment

• Sphara
                Knight
                • Oct 2016

Lances.. Why do those start to appear so early? To lower the possibility of getting actually useful ego-weapon? Or encourage home stashing for later use? I don't wanna sound mean, it just feels that way.

Comment

• Sparrow the Dunadan
                  Adept
                  • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Sphara
                  Lances.. Why do those start to appear so early? To lower the possibility of getting actually useful ego-weapon? Or encourage home stashing for later use? I don't wanna sound mean, it just feels that way.
                  I think those are for sturdy warrior classes.

Comment

• Werbaer
                    Adept
                    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Sphara
                    Lances.. Why do those start to appear so early?
                    In old days, before fractional blows, and maybe even before the current point character generation (autoroller, or old point based), having only one attack wasn't very uncommon for a low level ranger or paladin. Maul didn't exist back then, some other weapons had lower damage dice than they have now, and the (2d8) lance was the weapon which provided the biggest damage, if you were strong enough to use it. Myself, i prefered the (3d4) Katana for weight reasons.

Comment

• Sphara
                      Knight
                      • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Werbaer
                      In old days, before fractional blows, and maybe even before the current point character generation (autoroller, or old point based), having only one attack wasn't very uncommon for a low level ranger or paladin. Maul didn't exist back then, some other weapons had lower damage dice than they have now, and the (2d8) lance was the weapon which provided the biggest damage, if you were strong enough to use it. Myself, i prefered the (3d4) Katana for weight reasons.
                      Yeah, I remember some of those times. 90's Angband number of blows was integer
                      I don't suppose if a weapon like lance (2d8, weighs 30 and starting depth 10) would be added now, if it didn't exist already. With this current weapon weight/blows system, a lance appearing on D10, is 99,9% useless. For sturdy warrior types especially, since it drops your blows at 1. I'm always secretly hoping a new found ego/arte lance would NOT have telepathy in it

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎