Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zikke
    Veteran
    • Jun 2008

I seem to remember Quylthulgs were in AD&D 2.0 or 2.5. I can't find my Monster Manual for those versions right now, but it's not in the 3.5 one I found.
    A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
    A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
    C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

• Derakon
      Prophet
      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Zikke
      I seem to remember Quylthulgs were in AD&D 2.0 or 2.5. I can't find my Monster Manual for those versions right now, but it's not in the 3.5 one I found.
      Check out this old RGRM thread where our very own Nick basically says "the Moria devs were sleep-deprived and/or drunk and just invented something to have a 'Q' monster."

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Derakon
        Check out this old RGRM thread where our very own Nick basically says "the Moria devs were sleep-deprived and/or drunk and just invented something to have a 'Q' monster."
        Wow. I (a) don't remember writing that and (b) am pretty confident it was hearsay based on something I'd read somewhere else.

But I'm sure I was right
        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Sky
          Veteran
          • Oct 2016

There are no Qs in dnd.

The only monsters that summon are outer-planar stuff, like demons and modrons and such.
          "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
            Veteran
            • Jan 2009

I'm sure it's just a figment of my imagination, but I've always envisioned the Quylthulgs as some frightening Lovecraftian off-spring of Cthulhu out of the mind of H.P. Lovecraft.
            “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
            ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• slata
              Rookie
              • Aug 2018

Is Scarabtarices definitely a person's name? I always assumed it was just the word "scarab" with a fancy-sounding ending tacked on -- pretty on-theme for a book about warding after all.

As for that ending: it just occured to me that "tar" is a super common element in Tolkien names. A quick glance says it means king or queen, and shows up in a lot of regular Quenya words, too, where it seems to just mean great, strong, etc. And -ices is a common enough pluralization in English (and, like "scarab", it ultimately derives from Greek). So whether it was intended or not, it could certainly just be read as "Resistances of the Lords of Beetles"

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎