X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Khuzdul
    Scout
    • Dec 2014

Identifying things

With the whole new rune system I’m finding I’m just collecting a bunch of rods and wands that I can’t identify through use, and just leaving them at home. Any ideas on how to identify things that can’t be identified via identify rune?
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Shooting them at a monster will usually do it. Or failing that, donate them to the magic shop.
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
      Veteran
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Khuzdul
      With the whole new rune system I’m finding I’m just collecting a bunch of rods and wands that I can’t identify through use, and just leaving them at home. Any ideas on how to identify things that can’t be identified via identify rune?
      I've always thought this was a bit of a trap for newbies, but gave up since my remonstrations were taken as complaints. Id-by-use and rune-id aren't exactly the same thing. Some of the things that they could be:

1. Have you used them against a monster? Many things must have a monster target to be identified.

2. Is the monster "living" (i.e., not "undead" or "demon"). For example, drain life will not register and identify against an undead creature.

3. Try against a door. It might be door destruction.

4. Try against a trap. It might be disable traps.

5. Try against a wall (in line of sight), it might be stone-to-mud.

6. Try in presence of invisible monsters, it might be detect invisible.

7. Some of them might be "cursed" and take quite awhile to reveal themselves. (This for armor and weapons runes, not rods, staves or wands id by use).

How a newbie should know any of this, is beyond me.
      “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
      ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• wobbly
        Prophet
        • May 2012

detect invisible will id whether there's an invisible monster or not. Digging will dig a door, which I think just leaves: door, trap, pleb-tier monster. It should be a harmless monster anyway, besides iding confusion you don't want to haste anything dangerous or waste a turn in a critical moment.

There seems an inconsistency with temp resists. I believe drinking rfire while wearing rfire ids the rune? I drank rpoison wearing =rpoison & it didn't id. In the feature branch.

Comment

• Moving Pictures
          Adept
          • Mar 2018

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
          I've always thought this was a bit of a trap for newbies, but gave up since my remonstrations were taken as complaints. Id-by-use and rune-id aren't exactly the same thing. Some of the things that they could be:

1. Have you used them against a monster? Many things must have a monster target to be identified.

2. Is the monster "living" (i.e., not "undead" or "demon"). For example, drain life will not register and identify against an undead creature.

3. Try against a door. It might be door destruction.

4. Try against a trap. It might be disable traps.

5. Try against a wall (in line of sight), it might be stone-to-mud.

6. Try in presence of invisible monsters, it might be detect invisible.

7. Some of them might be "cursed" and take quite awhile to reveal themselves. (This for armor and weapons runes, not rods, staves or wands id by use).

How a newbie should know any of this, is beyond me.
          I can't believe you failed to mention: townies. Random villagers are ideal test subjects.

Comment

• fph
            Veteran
            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by wobbly
            just leaves: door, trap, pleb-tier monster.
            Just to reduce the probability of wasting a potentially-useful charge, it's better to reverse the order: pleb-tier monster (such as a townman), door, trap.

(The last two are ordered assuming that digging is more useful than trap destruction, which I realize is, uh, just my opinion, man).
            --
            Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎